Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 07:54 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,236,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
wow -really? "Parents today"?

My only point was that there were multiple people in this family to consider so calling it a "no brainer" wasn't really fair.
I guess my overwhelming thought wrt this whole thread is the vast number of people who think that this family of origin needs to completely rearrange their lives to "help" this daughter who

1. CHOSE not to use the BC to which she had access
2. CHOSE not to terminate
3. CHOSE not to put up for adoption

No Freaking Way would I ever cause the rest of my household to be responsible for one family member's bad choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 09:49 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,786,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
How are you doing jersey719? Been thinking about you and your daughter.
Happy new year!
We are doing ok. Ironing out the kinks and trying to plan. Thank you for thinking of us. It's not easy or smooth but we are doing our best. I'm on her butt with getting school going or I should say keeping it going. The father to be is still very involved and they're working out things like immunizations and religion and things like that. It's nice to see them talking about it before the time is on them and then find they have strong differences of opinion.

The other girls have decided to share a room and she will take the one that her sister moves out of. It will be tight with the baby but it will work.

I do realize that I am the parent but never wanted to mandate changes for my other children based on their sister's choices. I think them coming to this decision on their own was the best possible outcome for them. I felt, as the parent that their lives shouldn't be forced to change due to something they had nothing to do with and was a choice.

I feel like that about myself also. My life will change only in ways that I want it to. I still have other kids to raise. The majority of responsibility will be on my daughter as it should be.

We will have many changes this year and are looking to them with a more positive attitude

I am hoping for a very happy new year and wish the same to you

Old 01-14-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
All I've heard are excuses. My neighbors 16/17 year old just had a baby and the babies father, her boyfriend lives with them now. His wife sleeps on the couch, the baby and daughter and boyfriend sleep in the dining room. My neighbors grandmother is even currently staying with them and is sleeping in his daughters room.

They're making it work, you could too.
It's good they are making it work. There is no way I would have the boyfriend living with me. Their situation is very different as the mother of the baby is a minor. Not so in our case.

We will make it work and there will be rules and limits as far as we go as the grandparents. I will not be an enabler. I also will never allow the baby to suffer. The baby is truly innocent and had no choices.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,882,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I guess my overwhelming thought wrt this whole thread is the vast number of people who think that this family of origin needs to completely rearrange their lives to "help" this daughter who

1. CHOSE not to use the BC to which she had access
2. CHOSE not to terminate
3. CHOSE not to put up for adoption

No Freaking Way would I ever cause the rest of my household to be responsible for one family member's bad choices.
I would. It would involve not only my kid but a grandchild. No grandchild of mine would be tossed out onto the streets, certainly not as an infant.

This kind of family help can come with rules and can be quite temporary. More like giving a leg up, but the baby is a member of the family.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:12 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,236,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would. It would involve not only my kid but a grandchild. No grandchild of mine would be tossed out onto the streets, certainly not as an infant.

This kind of family help can come with rules and can be quite temporary. More like giving a leg up, but the baby is a member of the family.
Luckily those are not the only two choices. If my child decided to make choices of that sort, I would certainly help her to the degree I could to live up to the responsibilities s/he has chosen. But I sure as hell would not sacrifice myself or the rest of my family in order to shield him or her from said choices.

Different strokes.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,993 times
Default Just a suggestion...

Hello,

In Cumberland County there's a home visiting service called Healthy Families it's a national program and all 21 NJ counties offer it. In Warren County I found this:

Warren County

Healthy Families
NORWESCAP/FACES
459 Center Street
Phillipsburg, NJ 08865
Phone: 908-213-2614
Fax: 908-213-2821

Parents as Teachers
Cornerstone Family Services
62 Elm Street
Morristown, NJ 07960
Phone: 973-538-5260
Fax: 973-538-0989

Best wishes!!

Old 01-18-2014, 07:39 PM

659 posts, read 1,177,300 times
So Jerseyt719 have you and hubby picked out grandparent names?

Nana, Foxy G, Grandmother, Gam gam
Big Papa, Pops, Grandpapa , Granddiddy

Read through most of the thread and totally appreciate your evolution.

While your current game plan may not be the solution others would have chosen it seems to be the best for you and your family. Decisions made out of love, sound reasoning and the end in sight are often the most beneficial in my experience.

It will be interesting to see how this experience informs your younger daughters future life choices. I can only imagine that they will appreciate the love, support and sacrifice that has been extend by all and make their decisions accordingly.

Congrats on your new addition!

Old 01-19-2014, 02:07 AM

37,183 posts, read 42,375,137 times
I admit to not reading 79 pages, just skimming, but this could go either way.

In the end someone, somewhere is going to have to find out why she did what she did (get pregnant on purpose and insist on being a mom well before she is ready to be). It THAT isn't addressed she could be knocked up again in a year knowing she can live at home. I've seen it happen.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:26 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,826,298 times
Ceece has a very good point here. I too have seen this happen,over and over, where the young single mother gets tons of help from her family, quickly gets pregnant AGAIN after the first baby. "I didn't know I could get pregnant yet so soon after the delivery!"

Honestly, Jersey, this is not the time to discuss it with your daughter, not until after she's delivered, but you should consider her being on Depo (once every three months injectable progesterone contraceptive) as a condition of her remaining in your household, or continuing to receive any further help from you. Wonderful as it is that everyone is coming together to allow her to have a baby as a single mother with no visible means of financial support, the fact is that she deliberately CHOSE to stop taking her contraceptive pill, then CHOSE not to abort, putting the rest of your family under great stress. She has behaved in an extremely selfish and immature manner, and there's no indicator of future behavior as reliable as past behavior. I have a feeling that if you look at her past behavior, you might find that there were some indicators that this was coming. If she's breastfeeding, she CAN use Depo. Give it some serious thought. It's the best thing for her, too, to not get pregnant again until she's got an education, a job, and a husband!

Last edited by parentologist; 01-19-2014 at 06:51 AM..

Old 01-19-2014, 07:51 AM

Unity, I have chosen Nana. I think I'm just too young to be Grandma. I also thought of Cool G but before the baby can truly pronounce words correctly, I think it may sound like Coochie and that just will NOT be good.

Parentologist, I completely agree with you and Ceece. There will certainly be discussion about BC and it won't be the pill. Unfortunately that's what I know the most about so she will need to do research on a more long term method because obviously the pill isn't an option for her. By her own experience.

She will find out how difficult it will be.

Our other children are very involved in competitive sports. We have to go away for a week this summer and generally she came with us or I had to take her to her own away events. We just planned for ours and she simply can't come. The baby will be too young so I just made the plans for the other kids and us.

As I've said before, I will use boundaries and limitations to the help we as a family will provide. I am well aware that when it becomes too easy, it can be repeated easily. I won't enable her to believe its easy. That's not to say I won't help though.

I didn't have any help and my husband worked a lot. I can remember going without showers and meals just because I didn't have time. I will help with things like that.

The majority of care and support is going to rest with her and the dad. That's the way it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting