Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 03:53 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Almost up to her birth weight already on exclusive breastfeeding? Bravo!!!
Not exclusive yet. Breast pump should be in today or tomorrow and I think that's when she will be exclusively breast milk.

Dd likes knowing how much she's giving her. So baby gets time on her then some bottle and is satisfied and dd isn't getting as sore.

She has to do what she's comfortable with.

She just got really hung up on the baby not going the full time between feedings last night. I had to explain to her that they're on their own schedule and sometimes they decide to change it.

It's such a learning process. One thing my daughter is learning is that it isn't easy at all to care for a newborn. You do not get to sleep unless the baby does and most of the time when the baby is sleeping you have things to do like eat or shower or get stuff together for her.

And she's very lucky in that all of us are helping. I'm making sure she has food easy to grab and heat while we're gone during the day.

She still looks so tired to me. I will take a night shift this weekend so she can get some rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 04:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
It's such a learning process. One thing my daughter is learning is that it isn't easy at all to care for a newborn. You do not get to sleep unless the baby does and most of the time when the baby is sleeping you have things to do like eat or shower or get stuff together for her.

And she's very lucky in that all of us are helping. I'm making sure she has food easy to grab and heat while we're gone during the day.
Just imagine if she was living by herself at this time. You made the right decision to let her live with you.

You really came along way Jersey. It was quite a journey. Kudos for ending up at the right destination!

Quote:
She still looks so tired to me. I will take a night shift this weekend so she can get some rest.
I remember the exhaustion. I read in a baby book that you don't learn the true meaning of "bone tired" until after you've given birth. It's true, your bones literally ache from tiredness. It gets better, in that bones don't ach, but the exhaustion lasts for months until the baby sleeps through the night. When I returned to work at 6 weeks, I was a zombie who couldn't even comprehend what people were saying to me while they were talking. I took lots of notes and then stared at the notepad after everyone left trying to figure out what my duties and instructions were. I'd say it was about 3 months before I was getting some semblance of rest.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:43 AM

426 posts, read 792,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When I returned to work at 6 weeks, I was a zombie who couldn't even comprehend what people were saying to me while they were talking. I took lots of notes and then stared at the notepad after everyone left trying to figure out what my duties and instructions were. I'd say it was about 3 months before I was getting some semblance of rest.
Going off note here, this is why I have a problem with our society and workforce. 6 weeks is not a reasonable amount of time!! How are you even able to function? Produce quality work?

Sorry, I know this is met for another thread all together, but hopes brought up a good point. Not to mention leaving your 6 week old in the handds of someone else.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:31 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,418 times
Quote:
Just imagine if she was living by herself at this time. You made the right decision to let her live with you.

You really came along way Jersey. It was quite a journey. Kudos for ending up at the right destination!

I remember the exhaustion. I read in a baby book that you don't learn the true meaning of "bone tired" until after you've given birth. It's true, your bones literally ache from tiredness. It gets better, in that bones don't ach, but the exhaustion lasts for months until the baby sleeps through the night. When I returned to work at 6 weeks, I was a zombie who couldn't even comprehend what people were saying to me while they were talking. I took lots of notes and then stared at the notepad after everyone left trying to figure out what my duties and instructions were. I'd say it was about 3 months before I was getting some semblance of rest.
Oh my gosh, yes! I was so tired that I started hallucinating.

Now that my baby is a teenager, I am tired from worrying all the time!

Jersey,
Congrats on the precious baby!

Old 05-21-2014, 08:31 AM

I took 4 months off after the twins. With my oldest, I was only working part time.

After the twins, I worked days and he worked nights. We did that for 10 years.

It worked well.

Six weeks is way too quick to go back. I don't know how people do it at all.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:33 AM

The only one that would have suffered by her being forced to leave is the baby. Well not the only one but the main one.

I'm glad we decided to have her just stay with us. At least there's help.

This weekend I will take a night shift or two for her. She's going to need the rest by then.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Six weeks is way too quick to go back. I don't know how people do it at all.
How long is your daughter taking off before she returns to work?

Old 05-21-2014, 01:06 PM

I think 2 months. She told the woman 2-3 months but wants to go back as soon as she can so she can make money. She can take her to work with her so it's no big deal. She just wants the baby's routine to be a little more predictable.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I think 2 months. She told the woman 2-3 months but wants to go back as soon as she can so she can make money. She can take her to work with her so it's no big deal. She just wants the baby's routine to be a little more predictable.
It is a big deal. The problem isn't being away from the baby, it's about being exhausted to the point of not functioning properly. I hope the baby is sleeping through the night by 2 months.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
It is a big deal. The problem isn't being away from the baby, it's about being exhausted to the point of not functioning properly. I hope the baby is sleeping through the night by 2 months.
Oh that part is a big deal. Being a mom isn't easy. Especially a working mom.

I hope she's sleeping through by then too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting