Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 12:49 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,878,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I agree with this except many vaccines are grown in eggs and there are people who are allergic to eggs.

The other thing is that children who already have compromised immune systems can be at risk.
Which are all good medical reasons. That's why you should check with your ped if you suspect something. But most kids aren't allergic. Most vaccines are safe even for those with such allergies.

The Mayo Clinic states the following about vaccines and egg allergies:

Egg allergy: Prevention - MayoClinic.com

Quote:
However, many influenza vaccines contain such small amounts of egg protein that they can be safely given to people with an egg allergy. If you or your child has had a reaction to eggs, talk to your doctor before getting a flu shot. Your doctor may give you or your child a test to determine whether the vaccine is likely to cause a reaction. Other vaccinations contain little or no egg protein. But tell your doctor if you or your child has had an allergic reaction to eggs in the past, just to be safe.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:50 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,334,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Let's put it this way.

In your research, what evidence have you found that proves any childhood vaccine is riskier than the disease it prevents?

Yes, parents are making decisions based on anecdotes. They are afraid because of what they read on the internet.
I'm still trying to figure out why you figure you are any better a parent...or any better at deciding what it is you want to believe ...than any-one else.....How do you know they are afraid?...and how do you know they got it off the internet?.....where did you get your imfo from?....I'm with Dorothy on this one...you're right Dorothy...there are a lot of toxins in vaccines....and anyone that says "well, we all had them and we're fine"...was probably born 30 years or more ago...when the vaccinations were only a fraction of what they are now....All those toxins (that minute ammount) in each vaccine builds up when you are hit with one vaccine after another...and our infants are paying the steepest of prices with deteriorating health, and neurological problems......very sad.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:44 PM

37,272 posts, read 41,489,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why you figure you are any better a parent...or any better at deciding what it is you want to believe ...than any-one else.....How do you know they are afraid?...and how do you know they got it off the internet?.....where did you get your imfo from?....I'm with Dorothy on this one...you're right Dorothy...there are a lot of toxins in vaccines....and anyone that says "well, we all had them and we're fine"...was probably born 30 years or more ago...when the vaccinations were only a fraction of what they are now....All those toxins (that minute ammount) in each vaccine builds up when you are hit with one vaccine after another...and our infants are paying the steepest of prices with deteriorating health, and neurological problems......very sad.
If they are not afraid of the vaccines, why do they not want to use them?

What "toxins" are you concerned about?

Where are all these infants with "deteriorating health"?

What "neurological symptoms"? It's very clear that vaccines do not cause autism.

Which of the causes of death in this list are attributable to vaccines?

Hospitalization - Child Health USA 2010

Fewer infants are dying:

Infant Mortality - Child Health USA 2010

Child mortality:

Child Mortality - Child Health USA 2010

What is happening with vaccine preventable diseases:

Vaccine-Preventable Diseases - Child Health USA 2010

Which of these 14 vaccines do you believe contain toxins that make the vaccine more dangerous than the diseases they prevent? Why do you consider them more toxic than vaccines available 30 years ago? Where did you get the information on that toxicity?

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/par...uide-part5.pdf

The newer vaccines are produced using exactly the same immunologic principles that are the basis of the older vaccines. Note that smallpox vaccine is not on that list. Smallpox has been vaccinated out of existence. The number of actual injections will vary depending on which are administered as combination vaccines. And frankly, the modern vaccines are probably "cleaner" --- less likely to contain extraneous substances --- than ones produced 30 years ago.

We no longer need to be vaccinated against smallpox. Eventually we will no longer need polio vaccine, and the potential exists to eliminate hepatitis B.

The vaccines that were available when I was a child were the DPT, polio, and smallpox. I had measles, rubella, and chickenpox --- and I remember the misery of chickenpox. I got the mumps vaccine when I went to college. I got the hepatitis B vaccine as an adult. I take the flu vaccine each year, and I have had the pneumonia and shingles vaccines and a TDaP booster.

My sons got all the vaccines that were available when they were children.

There is not a single vaccine on the parents' guide above that I would not want my granddaughter to receive. I want her to get the meningitis and HPV vaccines when she is the appropriate age.

Where do I get information on vaccines for my family and myself? From our doctors.

And I stand by my statement that parents who believe vaccines are dangerous are getting the information on which they base that belief largely from the internet or someone who got it off the internet. They are not getting it from pediatricians.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:48 PM

14,463 posts, read 14,422,627 times
Quote:
From looking at the disease and the death rates from the VPD before and after the introduction of the vaccine. Reading up on the individual diseases themselves including treatment. Reading up on the stats regarding vaccine side effects including severity, etc. Comparing information. Reading studies. Looking at vaccine ingredients, how they were tested, etc. etc. etc. Looking at information from both sides of the coin. Weighing the evidence and making the decisions that one feels would be in the best interest of their child.

It's not black and white no matter what one decides as there are risks from vaccinating and there are risks from not vaccinating. There are still a lot of unknowns as everything has not (or ever will be) studied regarding vaccinations. I find it odd when people claim that vaccines are totally and completely safe and I find it equally odd when people claim that vaccines are all very dangerous.
What if I showed you statistically that the odds of being killed in a traffic accident on the way to the doctor to receive a vaccine are greater than the odds of being injured by the vaccine?

There will always be a slight risk in any activity that any person undertakes. The logical way to proceed is not to try to eliminate all potential risks in your life. It can't be done. One must balance risk against benefit. Unless there is something unique about your child that leads you to reasonably believe that they are allergic to a particular vaccine, the benefits of vaccination far outweigh the risks.

1. What do you do to avoid the risk of being killed in a car accident?
2. What do you do to avoid the risk of contracting lung disease from the air around us that contains pollutants?
3. What do you do to avoid the risk of being killed by someone around you who is carrying a concealed firearm?

Statistically all of these events are far more likely to claim your life than vaccination is.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:06 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,197,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Statistically all of these events are far more likely to claim your life than vaccination is.
Statistically speaking it is equally unlikely that my child will die from a VPD.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:22 AM

Here's some food for thought regarding aluminum in vaccines:
Vaccine FAQs | Dr. Sears Official Website | Parenting Advice, Parenting Books & more

BTW when gathering resources I got my information from multiple books, the Internet (including the CDC) as well as from a few different peds (including my own) as well as a naturopath. My main focus was on raw data and I did not pay very much attention to pro or anti vax sites or sources. I made informed decisions that were not based on fear or conspiracy theories. I spent months gathering information. The decisions I have made re: vaccines were not made lightly or based on watching an episode of Oprah with Jenny Mc Carthy.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:40 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,600,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Statistically speaking it is equally unlikely that my child will die from a VPD.
You never answered this question, so I'll ask it again; Why do you think the incidence of VPD in the US is lower today than 50 years ago?

Old 09-03-2011, 02:45 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,067,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Really? Perhaps you could provide some sort of citation. Equally unlikely is a pretty high bar, statisitically.

Of course, you do rely on "herd immunity" to protect your kids, too. In other words, other people's kids are immunized so mine will be protected.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:25 PM

I'm not looking to get into a vaccine debate because no one is going to change anyone's mind on this matter. Not worth my time or energy.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,334,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You never answered this question, so I'll ask it again; Why do you think the incidence of VPD in the US is lower today than 50 years ago?
There is no such thing as a vaccine preventable disease.Immunizations, including those practiced on babies not only do not prevent infectious diseases...but have also caused more suffering, and more deaths than has any other human activity in the entire history of medical interventions.....Most people believe that smallpox, diptheria, tetanus,polio, pertussis etc were eliminated in the western world by vaccination....Few realize that these diseases had been in decline for a hundred years.......According to the British Association for the Advancement of Sciences......cases of childhood diseases fell by 90% between 1850 and 1940....before mass vaccination started......smallpox declined in european countries with vaccination programs...as well as those without...Diseases like bubonic plague and scarlet fever have largely dissapeared without vaccination.....TB has declined greatly without vaccines...though poverty and incomplete treatment can allow it to return.....A recent world heath organization(WHO) report says that the present decline of diseases in third world countries is largely due...not to vaccines, and improved medical care...but to the same factors that caused declines in the west: improved standards of hygiene, sanitation, diet, clean water, and standard of living.........there is not one single paper that would demonstrate that in epidemics only unvaccinated children contracted the diseases....in fact even in populations where 100% have been vaccinated...vaccinated people have been shown to contract the disease.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting