Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 03:35 PM

4,264 posts, read 6,212,946 times

Advertisements

Katiana, you seriously don't know who Dr. Sears is?

I knew better to get involved with this drama. I wasted my time and energy posting links to reputable studies that were either ignored or dismissed. Now I'm just in a bad mood.

I am soooooo DONE with this conversation. Happy Labor Day!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:39 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,401,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Katiana, you seriously don't know who Dr. Sears is?

I knew better to get involved with this drama. I wasted my time and energy posting links to reputable studies that were either ignored or dismissed. Now I'm just in a bad mood.

I am soooooo DONE with this conversation. Happy Labor Day!
I didn't know you were referring to him. Actually, the owner of the practice I work for once said, when asked about Dr. Sears' immunization schedule, "Dr. Sears is a quack!" I attended an immunization conference once where the speaker said that Sears' own colleagues disagree with his schedule and ideas. He's nuts, and he's probably partly repsonsible for the pertussis epidemic that CA had last year.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:21 PM

37,312 posts, read 41,772,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
In addition to the link that I already posted to the study which shows otherwise here is info from Merck, the makers of rotateq

https://www.merckvaccines.com/Produc...ndication.aspx
Vaccine virus transmission from vaccine recipient to non-vaccinated contacts has been reported. Caution is advised when considering whether to administer RotaTeq to individuals with immunodeficient contacts
[/quote]

The entire section:

"• In clinical trials, RotaTeq was not administered to infants known to have immunodeficient household members. In these trials, RotaTeq was shed in the stools of 8.9% of vaccine recipients almost exclusively in the week after dose 1 and in only one vaccine recipient (0.3%) after dose 3. There is a theoretical risk that the live virus vaccine can be transmitted to non-vaccinated contacts. Therefore, RotaTeq should be administered with caution to individuals with immunodeficient close contacts such as:
individuals with malignancies or who are otherwise immunocompromised; or individuals receiving immunosuppressive therapy.
However, because nearly all children are infected with naturally occurring rotavirus by the age of 5 years, vaccination of infants may decrease the risk of exposure of immunodeficient household contacts to naturally occurring rotavirus. The healthcare provider should assess the potential risks and benefits of administering RotaTeq to infants known to have immunodeficient close contacts."

In other words, the wild virus poses more potential risk than the vaccine virus.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 09-05-2011 at 04:35 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 04:25 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,905,470 times
Folks, please don't quote lengthy passages of the links you cite, regardless of their source. It's against the Terms of Service. A few sentences is OK, but not multiple paragraphs.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Folks, please don't quote lengthy passages of the links you cite, regardless of their source. It's against the Terms of Service. A few sentences is OK, but not multiple paragraphs.
I thought it was OK to quote govt. sources b/c they're not copyright.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:33 PM

37,312 posts, read 41,772,724 times
I defer to Julia.

Since Dorthy thought I quoted too much, here is the deleted link again:

DPH: Rotavirus - Fact Sheet

You will need to read for yourselves, but her fear of vaccine virus being shed in the stool is unwarranted, and the burden of disease in the US is greater than she is willing to admit.

And the breastfeeding links:

Breastfeeding and the risk of rotavirus diarrhea in hospitalized infants in Uganda: a matched case control study

Breast-Feeding and the Risk of Life-Threatening Rotavirus Diarrhea: Prevention or Postponement?

Old 09-05-2011, 04:52 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,395,832 times
U.S. warns about rotavirus vaccine's side effects - CTV News...... guess a little intestinal surgery never hurt.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:06 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,863,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
U.S. warns about rotavirus vaccine's side effects - CTV News...... guess a little intestinal surgery never hurt.
Thanks for posting that. I wanted to quote too much of it. I finally decided on this one: "I am actually encouraged by those data: 28 cases, when you would have expected at least 500 cases, that is really reassuring,'' said Offit, of the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. "I don't see how those numbers suggest something's awry. If anything, they suggest nothing's awry.''

Old 09-05-2011, 05:24 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,905,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I thought it was OK to quote govt. sources b/c they're not copyright.
From the Terms of Service:

Quote:
Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post.
I can appreciate that, but whether certain government websites or articles are copyrighted is not my domain. Some public websites are copyrighted; others have specific instructions about linking and citation. I have to go by the Terms of Service unless otherwise instructed by a senior mod or the Administrator.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
From the Terms of Service:

I can appreciate that, but whether certain government websites or articles are copyrighted is not my domain. Some public websites are copyrighted; others have specific instructions about linking and citation. I have to go by the Terms of Service unless otherwise instructed by a senior mod or the Administrator.
I'm willing to go along with that. I would just ask for a little consistency in the application of this policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting