Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 08:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
did you miss the part about the autism-vaccine link being made up? It was all over the news a while back.
I thought that wasn't going to be brought up on this thread.....in answer to your question...no...but you obviously missed the part where that myth ..what you still believe....was proven untrue,

Old 08-25-2011, 08:14 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Around the time the chickenpox vaccine was licensed, a child died from chickenpox at Children's Hospital in Denver. Virtually every ped in metro Denver got on board with the vaccine at that point. I read posts on here about docs not "believing" in the vaccine; thinking natural disease is better, advising waiting, etc. That is not an issue here. The message is: chickenpox can kill.
Any disease can kill...if the child is undernourished, unkept, and very sickly to begin with....well nourished, healthy well-cared for children DO NOT die from the chickenpox.....All my kids had them...and they really are nothing to fear....the vaccine IS something to fear!!

Old 08-25-2011, 08:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Any disease can kill...if the child is undernourished, unkept, and very sickly to begin with....well nourished, healthy well-cared for children DO NOT die from the chickenpox.....All my kids had them...and they really are nothing to fear....the vaccine IS something to fear!!
Do you know the health history of this kid who died at Children's Hospital in Denver? Do you know that s/he was undernourished, unkept (sic), very sickly to begine with? It is untrue that "well nourished, healthy well-cared for children DO NOT die from the chickenpox". Are you blaming the parents if you can't find any other reason?

I have seen hundreds, probably thousands, of doses of chickenpox vaccine given and the worst I have every seen or heard of is a red arm and one kid who started sneezing and couldn't stop, which indicated he probably had a mild allergy to something in the vaccine.

Your kids, no matter how many, are not representative of every child in the universe.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Warning: The case reports in this link are graphic:

Varicella-Related Deaths --- United States, January 2003--June 2004

"This report describes clinical data for three of the fatal varicella cases in children, reported from Arizona, Arkansas, and New York City; all three patients were susceptible and unvaccinated, but otherwise healthy. "

"The three cases described in this report demonstrate that varicella can be fatal and that some deaths among healthy children continue to occur despite availability of a safe and effective varicella vaccine."

The other three children who died had immune disorders. It is highly likely that they were exposed to an unvaccinated person with chickenpox, since the vaccine is 95% effective.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...-3385.full.pdf

"The 97% decline in mortality rates for which varicella is listed as the underlying cause of death among children and adolescents younger than 20 years is a direct consequence of the varicella vaccination program implemented in 1995, either through individual protection afforded by vaccination or through herd immunity effects."

Your statement that "well nourished, healthy well-cared for children DO NOT die from the chickenpox" is not true.

Well nourished, healthy, well cared for children who are vaccinated against chickenpox do not die from it.

From the article in Pediatrics above:

"Of 77 deaths reported to the CDC since 1997 (likely all or most also reported to the National Center for Health Statistics and were included in our analysis), only 2 occurred among 1-dose-vaccinated children (CDC, unpublished data). Both children were on steroid therapy at the time of death, and 1 child had a malignant condition."

In other words, only 2 children died who had been vaccinated, and they had illnesses that compromised their immune systems.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:18 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
I also think it is disingenuous to perpetuate the myth that children who live in areas with a high incidence of vaccine preventable disease, such as Africa or Asia, are all poorly nourished or sickly to begin with. That just isn't true. Most children in Africa do not look like the children we see in the news in the drought stricken areas of Somalia.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I had the chicken pox a few years ago. I never even thought I needed a chicken pox vaccine, that is a child's disease...wrong...I must have missed getting it as a child, so I got it at age 40. I don't know about kid's getting sick from the vaccine, but I suggest that you, as an adult, get it if you have not had chicken pox. I have never been that sick in my life. I wish I had went and got it. All my kids got the shot, they are fine..except for my son, maybe the vaccine made him go bad? Any link to the vaccine and conduct disorder? I don't think so...would be a nice pat answer though.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:16 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
I was wondering do kids today still get chicken pox? I haven't heard of any new cases in a while so I was just wondering. Also, what about other diseases like measles, mumps,etc? Is it still possible for kids to get these (I know there are vaccines but still wondering)?
both of my kids had chickenpox, but it was quite a few years ago.

during the last couple of years, though, it's been in the local news about measles and I think whooping cough outbreaks, and also meningitis

Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
For purehuman and the other "antis" out there....

The Dangers of the Antivaccine Movement - TIME

Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
I thought that wasn't going to be brought up on this thread.....in answer to your question...no...but you obviously missed the part where that myth ..what you still believe....was proven untrue,
provide a credible link. You brought it up, not me

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/05...nes/index.html

Old 08-26-2011, 10:51 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,032 times
Quote:
the vaccine IS something to fear!!
Ignorance is much scarier.

(Told ya it would turn into a vaccine debate. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting