Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 08:29 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,391,914 times

Advertisements

TODAY Video Player

Ped office turns away patients who refuse to vaccinate. I would support their decision and feel more comfortable taking my own child to that practice.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:11 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,569,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
TODAY Video Player

Ped office turns away patients who refuse to vaccinate. I would support their decision and feel more comfortable taking my own child to that practice.
I've heard of this. At the practice where I work, we use a different approach which is to try to educate our patients to accept vaccines. We have very few who don't immunize at all. And yes, some of those kids have gotten some vaccine-preventable diseases, particularly whooping cough.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:18 AM

4,264 posts, read 6,219,532 times
I love my ped. He provides information but never resorts to scare tactics or tries to strong arm parents into making choices that go against what they feel is in the best interest of their children.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,652,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I love my ped. He provides information but never resorts to scare tactics or tries to strong arm parents into making choices that go against what they feel is in the best interest of their children.
The problem is that more and more parents are making medical decisions for their children based on junk science and blogs. If people use legitimate studies and reputable sources for information, and then make a decison, whatever that may be, I have no problem with it. But sadly more and more people are using Mercola and The Whale for guidance, and that is scary!

I don't blame peds for getting firmer about this. Educating oneself should mean really educating oneself, not reading anti-establishment blogs and opinion pieces.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The problem is that more and more parents are making medical decisions for their children based on junk science and blogs. If people use legitimate studies and reputable sources for information, and then make a decison, whatever that may be, I have no problem with it. But sadly more and more people are using Mercola and The Whale for guidance, and that is scary!

I don't blame peds for getting firmer about this. Educating oneself should mean really educating oneself, not reading anti-establishment blogs and opinion pieces.
Just becasue someone chooses to forgo certain vaccines (or even all of them) does not mean that they got their info from Mercola or sites like the Whale or from "junk science".

Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,391,914 times
Quote:
I don't think that's what these doctors are doing at all. Having had an immune-compromised baby, I would have appreciated that peace of mind.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I don't think that's what these doctors are doing at all.
I didn't say they were but I know some do.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,652,363 times
Quote:
Just becasue someone chooses to forgo certain vaccines (or even all of them) does not mean that they got their info from Mercola or sites like the Whale or from "junk science".
Well in my experience many do. Kudos to those who don't.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:14 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,569,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Well in my experience many do. Kudos to those who don't.
That is my experience as well. Lately, we have been getting calls/requests from parents wanting to know what brand of vaccines we use. Apparently this is the latest scare tactic. In reality, many vaccines are made only by one manufacturer, and of those that have several, differences are negligle. There are no "generic" vaccines (that I know of).

Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 AM

37,312 posts, read 41,881,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I've heard of this. At the practice where I work, we use a different approach which is to try to educate our patients to accept vaccines. We have very few who don't immunize at all. And yes, some of those kids have gotten some vaccine-preventable diseases, particularly whooping cough.
Kat, do you have a separate waiting room for unvaccinated kids?

I have very good friends who are pediatricians. They also have decided not to see patients whose parents who refuse vaccines. These are also parents who tend to question every medical recommendation. The docs just get tired of trying to educate people who are basically uneducable. They do not want the liability.

And, like the mom in the video, I would be very unhappy if my kid caught a vaccine preventable illness in a medical setting. That includes flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting