Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 11:21 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,585,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I'm sure you know, some of the ingredients are known toxins but are thought to be safe in low levels so saying that they are not poisons is also not really true.
Come on now, that's just silly. Water is toxic in large quantities, that's not a legitimate reason to never drink it.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:25 AM

37,170 posts, read 41,370,467 times
Quote:
From looking at the disease and the death rates from the VPD before and after the introduction of the vaccine. Reading up on the individual diseases themselves including treatment. Reading up on the stats regarding vaccine side effects including severity, etc. Comparing information. Reading studies. Looking at vaccine ingredients, how they were tested, etc. etc. etc. Looking at information from both sides of the coin. Weighing the evidence and making the decisions that one feels would be in the best interest of their child.

It's not black and white no matter what one decides as there are risks from vaccinating and there are risks from not vaccinating. There are still a lot of unknowns as everything has not (or ever will be) studied regarding vaccinations. I find it odd when people claim that vaccines are totally and completely safe and I find it equally odd when people claim that vaccines are all very dangerous.
But for the kiddy vaccines, the risks of not vaccinating are many orders of magnitude higher than the risks of vaccinating.

The concerns that parents have about the risks are not based on the actual numbers of complications from the vaccines. They are based on their perception of risk based on anecdotes: "Someone's daughter took Gardasil and x days later y happened and now she is crippled for life. I do not wish for my daughter to have y, so I do not want her to take Gardasil." It does not matter that there is no evidence that Gardasil caused y. And for the vast majority of patients, it comes down to the disaster of misinformation that began with Wakefield's scam. And young parents today have been vaccinated themselves. They have not had the illnesses that the vaccines prevent and do not know anyone who has. That gives them the impression that no one needs to be vaccinated for them.

Certainly no vaccine is "totally and completely safe." Neither are aspirin and acetominophen. But there really is no childhood vaccine for which the risk of the vaccine is greater than the risk of the disease --- unless there is a medical issue which makes the vaccine contraindicated. That is the crux of the matter. If the risk of complications were greater than the risk of the disease, the vaccine would not exist. The only way to get around that fact is to invoke a gigantic worldwide conspiracy.

Or, you can decide not to subject your child to any risk from the vaccine and depend on herd immunity to keep her safe. But when too many people do that, herd immunity diminishes and the risk increases for everyone --- even those who are vaccinated.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:31 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,190,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Come on now, that's just silly. Water is toxic in large quantities, that's not a legitimate reason to never drink it.
Not silly to me. It takes a whole lot of water to reach the level of toxicity while it can take tiny amounts to reach toxicity with certain injectables.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,190,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
But for the kiddy vaccines, the risks of not vaccinating are many orders of magnitude higher than the risks of vaccinating.

The concerns that parents have about the risks are not based on the actual numbers of complications from the vaccines. They are based on their perception of risk based on anecdotes: "Someone's daughter took Gardasil and x days later y happened and now she is crippled for life. I do not wish for my daughter to have y, so I do not want her to take Gardasil." It does not matter that there is no evidence that Gardasil caused y. And for the vast majority of patients, it comes down to the disaster of misinformation that began with Wakefield's scam. And young parents today have been vaccinated themselves. They have not had the illnesses that the vaccines prevent and do not know anyone who has. That gives them the impression that no one needs to be vaccinated for them.

Certainly no vaccine is "totally and completely safe." Neither are aspirin and acetominophen. But there really is no childhood vaccine for which the risk of the vaccine is greater than the risk of the disease --- unless there is a medical issue which makes the vaccine contraindicated. That is the crux of the matter. If the risk of complications were greater than the risk of the disease, the vaccine would not exist. The only way to get around that fact is to invoke a gigantic worldwide conspiracy.

Or, you can decide not to subject your child to any risk from the vaccine and depend on herd immunity to keep her safe. But when too many people do that, herd immunity diminishes and the risk increases for everyone --- even those who are vaccinated.
You asked and I told you how some people do their research without using "junk Science" and you come back and tell me that they made their decision based on anecdotal evidence and that they are buying into some big conspiracy theory?

Believe what you want. These kinds of conversations are always pointless.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:49 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,957,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
A Little Water Humor

Old 09-01-2011, 11:52 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,059,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Haha! I got a good laugh out of that, thanks for posting.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 PM

37,170 posts, read 41,370,467 times
Quote:
You asked and I told you how some people do their research without using "junk Science" and you come back and tell me that they made their decision based on anecdotal evidence and that they are buying into some big conspiracy theory?

Let's put it this way.

In your research, what evidence have you found that proves any childhood vaccine is riskier than the disease it prevents?

Yes, parents are making decisions based on anecdotes. They are afraid because of what they read on the internet.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:11 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,585,614 times
Quote:

I have a question for you. Why do you think the incidence of VPD in the US is lower today than 50 years ago?

Old 09-01-2011, 12:22 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,875,697 times
Quote:
The ingredients may be safe for most people but for those who react to them they are not safe. When someone says "the ingredients are safe" period, end of story, that is misleading.

I'm sure you know, some of the ingredients are known toxins but are thought to be safe in low levels so saying that they are not poisons is also not really true.

It's not black and white.
But it is black and white.

If you have a medical reason (such as a potential allergy to some vaccine ingredients although most vaccines do not contain any such potential allergens) then don't vaccinate. If you don't then you should. That is pretty much the end of the story. Those ingredients are not "thought" to be safe. They are safe.

Really people treat vaccines as if they were this big giant complicated issue requiring a tremendous amount of research or you could have serious problems. That's not even remotely true. That's just a mantra recited by the anti-vaxxers.

It is completely misleading to pretend otherwise. It is extremely misleading when you write that vaccines contain toxins. They don't. As Zimbochick pointed out anything is toxic in large enough doses including water. You might as well write about "toxins" in orange juice or chocolate for the all sense that makes.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,957,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
But it is black and white.

If you have a medical reason (such as a potential allergy to some vaccine ingredients although most vaccines do not contain any such potential allergens) then don't vaccinate. If you don't then you should. That is pretty much the end of the story. Those ingredients are not "thought" to be safe. They are safe.

Really people treat vaccines as if they were this big giant complicated issue requiring a tremendous amount of research or you could have serious problems. That's not even remotely true. That's just a mantra recited by the anti-vaxxers.

It is completely misleading to pretend otherwise. It is extremely misleading when you write that vaccines contain toxins. They don't. As Zimbochick pointed out anything is toxic in large enough doses including water. You might as well write about "toxins" in orange juice or chocolate for the all sense that makes.
I agree with this except many vaccines are grown in eggs and there are people who are allergic to eggs.

The other thing is that children who already have compromised immune systems can be at risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.