Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 10:46 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,569,744 times

Advertisements

Around the time the chickenpox vaccine was licensed, a child died from chickenpox at Children's Hospital in Denver. Virtually every ped in metro Denver got on board with the vaccine at that point. I read posts on here about docs not "believing" in the vaccine; thinking natural disease is better, advising waiting, etc. That is not an issue here. The message is: chickenpox can kill.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:10 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,397,980 times
My great-granddaughter, 3, had chickenpox earlier this year. Apparently she spent a weekend with my daughter and her boyfriend. The day she went home, he woke up with shingles. She had never been vaccinated.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:26 AM

14,581 posts, read 14,613,813 times
Quote:
the websites I read and believe have been written by doctors, neurologists, epidemiologists, professors,and many highly educated scientists and researchers.....these are imformative vaccines sites...and the people who quote in them are NOT afraid to say who they are and show exactly how they came to their conclusions.....unlike ANY of the so-called "official" websites that you so much love to show.....which to me is indeed nonsense.
We've been over this before many times. Your sources have all the credibility of alien-abduction stories or tales about "black helicopters". Any one with a smidgeon of brains who reads "your sources" knows it.

You continually misrepresent this whole issue. Your "highly educated scientists" generally turn out to be people without an M.D. degree and often are merely "herbalists". You've been asked before to provide a list of all all medical doctors (MD's) who will state they oppose vaccination. You've never provided the list.

You've touted Andrew Wakefield as an "expert" about the alleged link between the MMR shot and autism. Yet, no fewer than twelve subsequent studies have discredited this research. You know that Wakefield has had his medical license revoked by the British Medical Association for the fraudulent way he conducted his study. Yet, you and a few others claim this is "persecution".

If this were simply a debate that had no real consequence than I would find you amusing and ignore you. Instead, you take a position that may result in children needless dying from infectious disease because ignorant and uneducated parents are suckered into believing unscientific nonsense. That would bother almost anyone with a conscience.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:59 AM

13,904 posts, read 10,209,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I had a 3 month old son who came down with the worst case of chicken pox the doctor had ever seen...huge raised bumps everywhere....pure misery and a rocking chair in continual use for 2 weeks....He's 23 now and of course can't remember...has no scars.....I have a young friend who's son was fine untill he recieved his mmr vaccine...he is now severely autistic.....I'd rather deal with the desease and no that when it's over it's over...and the added bonus is immunity.
Ok, purehuman, I'm sure your heart's in the right place and you really believe what you're posting.

Having said that, you've got to stop fear mongering about these vaccines. As a parent of a child who was born when the hysteria was raging, I can tell you that it puts one through unnecessary stress and worry when one takes their tiny baby in to get their shots.

All this vaccine palava put a lot of parents through a lot of crap they didn't have to go through. Instead of feeling relieved that their child was protected against awful diseases, one spent the child's baby years looking out for signs of damage resulting from the decision to vaccinate. You and others like you make a parent feel damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The whole sorry mess has been thoroughly debunked. I wish it had been so when my child was little. To continue to perpetuate these untruths is outright irresponsible and just plain not fair. New parents have enough to worry about, enough studies and endless info and uncertainties to live with, they don't need this bunk added to the mix.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:15 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,652,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
If this were simply a debate that had no real consequence than I would find you amusing and ignore you. Instead, you take a position that may result in children needless dying from infectious disease because ignorant and uneducated parents are suckered into believing unscientific nonsense. That would bother almost anyone with a conscience.
Well stated.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,865,826 times
I saw an interesting article today.

Ok to relax? Report: Childhood vaccines mostly safe - Health - Children's health - msnbc.com

Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 PM

37,312 posts, read 41,881,503 times
Thanks!

And for those who would like to read the entire report, you can do so online for free:

Adverse Effects of Vaccines: Evidence and Causality

Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,569,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I don't like the "mostly" safe reference; it makes it sound like some aren't safe. That article states otherwise, saying most side effects are "mild", something these people's personal health care practitioners could have told them (and probably did).

Old 08-25-2011, 02:01 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,865,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't like the "mostly" safe reference; it makes it sound like some aren't safe. That article states otherwise, saying most side effects are "mild", something these people's personal health care practitioners could have told them (and probably did).
To me "mostly" safe vaccines are kind of like sending your kids to school. You send them to school because it is good for them. Schools are "mostly" safe. You send them even though you know there is a chance there could be a storm and the roof falls in, or some crazy person shows up on campus with a gun, or their bus is in an accident on the way to school. There are risks with everything. You just have to decide if the risks are worth it. One of the risks you take with not vaccinating is not only endangering your own child, but all of the other children that you child comes in contact with. Is that a risk worth taking?

Old 08-25-2011, 02:59 PM

4,264 posts, read 6,219,532 times
Here's a more detailed version of article. Not nearly as detailed as Suzy's link to the actual study but more info then the MSNBC article.
Medical News: Autism Not Caused by Vaccines, IOM Report Concludes - in Infectious Disease, Vaccines from MedPage Today

It defines the terms "favors rejection", "convincingly supports" etc. which helps to understand better what the information really means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting