Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 07:15 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,165,417 times

Advertisements

My quirk...
I have to shave my legs everyday no matter what. I will get in the shower to just shave my legs and pits before I go out to do yard work. Nobody will see me, but I can't stand the stubble feeling. I definately will not go to bed without shaving !
Bent forks.... got them. We eat alot of shellfish (crabs, lobster) thats how mine got bent. So I have kept them and they get used when we eat shellfish.

My newest phobia, since we recently moved to a 20 acre farm/estate, we have millions of stray cats. I will go out to the grill, 6 to 12 of them will surround me, 4 or 5 in the trees over my head. All meowing ! I took a bucket of water out with me to scare them off and when I threw it one came charging at me ! Had my son come sit with the power hose while I cooked.
I asked the owner about them, she said get rid of them, they are wild. Animal control only picks up once a week and left me one trap. Owner has given me other ways to get rid of them... but I just can't see us doing it that way ! Maybe another thread to be started ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 06:34 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,083,111 times
The only phobia I do have is fear of heights.Reason being,my dad held me over the railing at Lovers Leap at Rock City in Tennessee when I was little.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:01 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,998,172 times
How did I overlook this fascinating thread until now?? For me, I'm the opposite of the sleepers who must have the light on. I cannot sleep if there's light. I like pitch-black darkness and my reasoning stems from my fears as a child.... In complete darkness, I can see anyone who comes into my room, but they can't see me. To me sleeping with the light on is like advertising to a burglar or murderer..."Here I am!! Don't bother searching I've made it easy for you!"...I feel vulnerable with the light on. Also, I don't know about others, but have you had your upper teeth slip on your lower teeth by accident and you get that nails on chalkboard sensation in your mouth? Well, when that happens to me, I have to bite on something substantial that gives way and allows me to apply pressure without slipping to overcome the sensation, like on cloth or gum, etc.! If a metal fork or spoon scrapes a tooth, I have to do the same thing. I cannot STAND that. I don't like jello. It wiggles and vibrates and it grosses me out, even though it tastes good.
I will not eat a slice of cake where someone throws a scoop of ice cream next to it and they touch. I can't stand cake crumbs on ice cream or picked up from the plate, or cake wet with melted ice cream..YUCK. I've been that way since I was little at people's birthday parties.
When I'm out for dinner and with close friends or by myself, I'll order dessert first like a hot fudge sundae or something so I make sure I have enough room to eat it. My reasoning being I can always take a doggy bag home for the other stuff if need be. If I don't eat the dessert and I really wanted it...then I regret having missed it.
I can't sip on a rootbeer float. Ice cream floating in root beer or other cola makes me gag.
If I'm eating something that's too messy and drips all over and I have to constantly wipe my mouth, I'll stop eating it and go hungry. I'd rather be hungry for awhile than be messy and if it's too messy, I don't enjoy the food at all.
I despise clowns and dolls and carvings of grotesque figures or the carved wooden statues, etc. one finds in Haiti and Jamaica or New Orleans, etc. My parent's house is filled with that kind of stuff from Polynesia, the South Pacific, etc. as they spent seven years sailing around the world on their self-built sailboat, and I feel creeped out in their house. I don't like that stuff at all. My mom gave me pieces from their travels and I secretly threw them out.
I don't mean to offend anyone, but I won't go into any religious building with statues, and I will not enter a non-Christian temple for any reason, no matter who it offends. If I'd been invited to Cruise's wedding, I'd have sent a "congrats" card and pleaded an excuse. I avoid all of them except protestant churches, though I feel safe spiritually in an Orthodox Jewish Synagogue too and love being invited to them as a guest, although I don't like going into a Reform Jewish temple which to me seems stripped of the essential spirituality.
I hate striped clothing or t-shirts with emblems, numbers, or words on them. I won't wear shirts with stripes on them or anything with emblems, numbers, or words. I prefer solid colors, especially blues of any shade, brown, grey, greens, etc.
I never walk around bare-chested if someone might run into me. I can be nearly nude at home just wearing underwear and be fine, but if I think someone might be coming by or I think there's even a chance I may be seen, I put on at least a t-shirt (with boxers of course). Even tank tops make me self-conscious.
If corn gets stuck in my mashed potatoes...forget it, I can't eat them together though I love them apart.
Anything a bug lands on.... no can do. I know that flies vomit every time they land and I can't get past my Jeff Goldblum moment.
If I get sneezed on and feel the wind of the sneeze along with the wet sneeze mist on the back of my neck from a stranger on my face or skin, I cannot get past the willies and being thoroughly grossed out until I shower. My smallest cat does that to me too and I hate it! He'll climb on my chest, put his head close to my face, then rip a sneeze and it thoroughly disgusts me! I tried to pay him back by sneezing in his face...he didn't mind... (so much for human/feline psychotherapy theories).
Lampshades must be perfectly aligned and balanced and everything must be in its assigned place, or I'll have to fix it.
When my house is dirty, I don't want to clean it, I want to abandon it and start over somewhere else that's nice, uncluttered, fresh, and clean. I don't like cleaning, but when I get into it, I don't stop until the CDC would rate it hyper-anticeptic.
That's it for now

Last edited by MoMark; 11-18-2006 at 09:24 PM..

Old 11-19-2006, 09:39 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,649,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
How did I overlook this fascinating thread until now?? For me, I'm the opposite of the sleepers who must have the light on. I cannot sleep if there's light. I like pitch-black darkness and my reasoning stems from my fears as a child.... In complete darkness, I can see anyone who comes into my room, but they can't see me. To me sleeping with the light on is like advertising to a burglar or murderer..."Here I am!! Don't bother searching I've made it easy for you!"...I feel vulnerable with the light on. Also, I don't know about others, but have you had your upper teeth slip on your lower teeth by accident and you get that nails on chalkboard sensation in your mouth? Well, when that happens to me, I have to bite on something substantial that gives way and allows me to apply pressure without slipping to overcome the sensation, like on cloth or gum, etc.! If a metal fork or spoon scrapes a tooth, I have to do the same thing. I cannot STAND that. I don't like jello. It wiggles and vibrates and it grosses me out, even though it tastes good.
I will not eat a slice of cake where someone throws a scoop of ice cream next to it and they touch. I can't stand cake crumbs on ice cream or picked up from the plate, or cake wet with melted ice cream..YUCK. I've been that way since I was little at people's birthday parties.
When I'm out for dinner and with close friends or by myself, I'll order dessert first like a hot fudge sundae or something so I make sure I have enough room to eat it. My reasoning being I can always take a doggy bag home for the other stuff if need be. If I don't eat the dessert and I really wanted it...then I regret having missed it.
I can't sip on a rootbeer float. Ice cream floating in root beer or other cola makes me gag.
If I'm eating something that's too messy and drips all over and I have to constantly wipe my mouth, I'll stop eating it and go hungry. I'd rather be hungry for awhile than be messy and if it's too messy, I don't enjoy the food at all.
I despise clowns and dolls and carvings of grotesque figures or the carved wooden statues, etc. one finds in Haiti and Jamaica or New Orleans, etc. My parent's house is filled with that kind of stuff from Polynesia, the South Pacific, etc. as they spent seven years sailing around the world on their self-built sailboat, and I feel creeped out in their house. I don't like that stuff at all. My mom gave me pieces from their travels and I secretly threw them out.
I don't mean to offend anyone, but I won't go into any religious building with statues, and I will not enter a non-Christian temple for any reason, no matter who it offends. If I'd been invited to Cruise's wedding, I'd have sent a "congrats" card and pleaded an excuse. I avoid all of them except protestant churches, though I feel safe spiritually in an Orthodox Jewish Synagogue too and love being invited to them as a guest, although I don't like going into a Reform Jewish temple which to me seems stripped of the essential spirituality.
I hate striped clothing or t-shirts with emblems, numbers, or words on them. I won't wear shirts with stripes on them or anything with emblems, numbers, or words. I prefer solid colors, especially blues of any shade, brown, grey, greens, etc.
I never walk around bare-chested if someone might run into me. I can be nearly nude at home just wearing underwear and be fine, but if I think someone might be coming by or I think there's even a chance I may be seen, I put on at least a t-shirt (with boxers of course). Even tank tops make me self-conscious.
If corn gets stuck in my mashed potatoes...forget it, I can't eat them together though I love them apart.
Anything a bug lands on.... no can do. I know that flies vomit every time they land and I can't get past my Jeff Goldblum moment.
If I get sneezed on and feel the wind of the sneeze along with the wet sneeze mist on the back of my neck from a stranger on my face or skin, I cannot get past the willies and being thoroughly grossed out until I shower. My smallest cat does that to me too and I hate it! He'll climb on my chest, put his head close to my face, then rip a sneeze and it thoroughly disgusts me! I tried to pay him back by sneezing in his face...he didn't mind... (so much for human/feline psychotherapy theories).
Lampshades must be perfectly aligned and balanced and everything must be in its assigned place, or I'll have to fix it.
When my house is dirty, I don't want to clean it, I want to abandon it and start over somewhere else that's nice, uncluttered, fresh, and clean. I don't like cleaning, but when I get into it, I don't stop until the CDC would rate it hyper-anticeptic.
That's it for now
If your afraid of stripes don't go to jail!

Old 11-19-2006, 09:40 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,649,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinFever View Post
The only phobia I do have is fear of heights.Reason being,my dad held me over the railing at Lovers Leap at Rock City in Tennessee when I was little.
Is he the one Michael Jackson got it from. I see a lawsuit! (just kidding)

Old 11-19-2006, 10:08 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,491,529 times
My phobia is being out in a boat and not being able to see land-it feels like the water is gonna swallow me whole.

Old 11-20-2006, 05:57 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,378,760 times
Okay I hate Roaches, any other creepy crawler is fine

Old 11-21-2006, 05:31 PM

892 posts, read 2,373,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post

That's it for now

Are you a Virgo?? You are my Husbands twin! He does most of what you said. He won't let me buy striped shirts for me or our son, same with the naked chest, same with the food can't touch, etc......except for the dark thing, he can sleep anywhere. He doesn't have the teeth thing but I do. If I just think about the sound, like I am doing now, I get goosebumps. My husband and son are both virgos, double wammy for me. They are great people but very quirky. plus they have the ocd personality too.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:32 PM

892 posts, read 2,373,827 times
I have a thing for eye burgers on animals. they really gross me out. I can't touch them, I have to use a wipe or napkin. I think it stems from a horse my mom used to have that had big goops in her eyes all the time and she would never clean them out. I am getting grossed out thinking about it.
I also am afraid of being on the ocean where I can't see land. That is because I almost died in the ocean when I was 8 or 9. Luckly we turned our little boat around just as the island was going out of view and headed back to it. Right after the boat flew off a wave 15 feet in the air and turned sideways and luckly another wave caught it and turned it right side. That was when my mother said "maybe we should put on lifejackets". ah duh!!Don't go out to the ocean in alittle fishing boat with a bad compass in the evening when there are 12-15 swells. Was not fun. My husband informed me the other night that he would like to go on a cruise someday and I about freaked out. I know that boat is bigger but I still have no desire to go on a cruise. unless it stays near land the whole time and another boat the same exact size rides along side it so incase it sinks we can jump on the other one.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:57 PM

450 posts, read 2,059,698 times
Default Twisted Russian folk tales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I'm with Calibelle on the clowns and dolls but nothing is scarier than a Nutcracker. Even the name is scary! I mean really just look at them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/16/Nutcrackers.jpg/250px-Nutcrackers.jpg (broken link)
No kidding! I love the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies, but the Nutcracker makes me almost wet myself. I think it is all twisted with Russian fear of wolves--Peter And The--and things that go bump in the night! Trust me, Russian composers and writers are geniuses but also very foreboding. Scary stuff! How about those Grimmes Fairy Tales with witches and children in ovens and that Pied Piper of Hamline stealing away all the children. I tell you these are fundamental human fears and phobias that masquerade as children's tales. And don't get me started on clowns or Santa's elves! Evil stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics