Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:40 PM

502 posts, read 2,296,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Yeah, he has his quirks but he's ok

He has wind chimes on the back of our bedroom door and he always locks it. He says if anyone trys to open the door the windchimes on the back of the door will make noise and the lock will stop them and that gives him a chance to grab his gun.
You are killing me. I am hysterical. Tell your husband the windchimes also keep evil spirits away. His wind chimes are multitasking and he didn't even know it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2006, 10:44 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,333,834 times
Your husband sounds funny (and paranoid) . I like him...because I'm paranoid of everything and I set traps like that in my house. I leave things on the windowsill so if someone were to come in, it would fall off and make a noise, I'll leave something near the door...small enough to move in an emergency, but big enough to make a noise if someone comes in. When my oldest was 5-1/2, my husband finally explained that I no longer needed the baby monitor to hear her because she could simply walk in the room and talk to me if she needed me. But it was my security sensor (in case someone was near that window and I was sleeping). One night, we kept hearing this weird noise coming through on it (actually it was the night he made me get rid of it) and we couldn't figure out what it was. Well, we inspected and realized that I had it turned up so high that I could hear the moth that was stuck in her room and flying around. Yes, yes, I know, I need help.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:49 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,476,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Your husband sounds funny (and paranoid) . I like him...because I'm paranoid of everything and I set traps like that in my house. I leave things on the windowsill so if someone were to come in, it would fall off and make a noise, I'll leave something near the door...small enough to move in an emergency, but big enough to make a noise if someone comes in. When my oldest was 5-1/2, my husband finally explained that I no longer needed the baby monitor to hear her because she could simply walk in the room and talk to me if she needed me. But it was my security sensor (in case someone was near that window and I was sleeping). One night, we kept hearing this weird noise coming through on it (actually it was the night he made me get rid of it) and we couldn't figure out what it was. Well, we inspected and realized that I had it turned up so high that I could hear the moth that was stuck in her room and flying around. Yes, yes, I know, I need help.

Yes ,you and him would get along great!! Now that we have teens he sets little traps for them too. He knows if someone sneaks out and if someone has been in our draws or closets.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
You are killing me. I am hysterical. Tell your husband the windchimes also keep evil spirits away. His wind chimes are multitasking and he didn't even know it!
That's funny I just told him and he laughed.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:54 PM

Awesome, because I come up with ideas like that all the time for our kids too. But I'm confused and my husband once again thinks I'm nuts. Do you have the masterbedroom upstairs, yet be way up there and risk them sneaking in and out the front door when you think they're in the TV room, or do you have the MBR downstairs so you can blockade the front door yet they're upstairs climbing out windows. Or do you simply buy a ranch style home and then robbers can climb in all the windows at ground level???? See, I don't think of these things all the time but when it's 12:50 and your husband's asleep and it's dark out...the mind starts to wander!

Old 09-13-2006, 10:56 PM

By the way, the simplest solution would be to install those high tech security systems with the infrared beams shooting all over the place. However, my husband isn't Donald Trump. So I guess I have to settle with my regular schemes and my paranoia.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Awesome, because I come up with ideas like that all the time for our kids too. But I'm confused and my husband once again thinks I'm nuts. Do you have the masterbedroom upstairs, yet be way up there and risk them sneaking in and out the front door when you think they're in the TV room, or do you have the MBR downstairs so you can blockade the front door yet they're upstairs climbing out windows. Or do you simply buy a ranch style home and then robbers can climb in all the windows at ground level???? See, I don't think of these things all the time but when it's 12:50 and your husband's asleep and it's dark out...the mind starts to wander!

You know you are a little him and a little me. I am so paranoid I don't think I could ever live alone.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:12 PM

I've lived alone. After my mom passed away it was just me. My dad was a couple of blocks away and I called him over for every little noise I heard. He was a police officer so I would make him walk the premises of my home. One time he kept ringing the bell and telling me to let him in, but I was so scared I didn't answer. Then about 7 minutes later the phone rang and it was him. He asked me why I didn't answer the bell. I told him that I wasn't sure it was him because if there really was someone there, they could've killed him outside and made believe they were him. His response was 1. "Chances are most late night theives won't ring the bell and impersonate your father's voice after you've just called him over there yourself". After he died, I was petrified for a long time, but then I got guts and became strong and was alright alone. Now, if my husband is out watching the game or something for a few hours, I have every light on, I'm on the phone and the kids are all sleeping in my bed. He's actually had to call from the cell because I didn't answer the door when he forgot his keys.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:45 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,792,584 times
Wow! You guys are really paranoid! You should just get a gun! That's what I want to do. I sometimes get paranoid "what would I do if..." thoughts, and I've realized that having a gun would solve them all!

By the way, I thought I was the only one to apologize to inanimate objects!!! (I always feel like EVERYTHING is "alive" - I mean, everything is made up of atoms & molecules & Energy...)

Weird quirk: I refuse to misspell something! Any word that I'm not sure of I look up on webster dot com!!! (If I'm at the comp...If not, I call someone & ask around and/or have someone look it up for me!)

Old 09-14-2006, 07:59 AM

Yes, guns would be a good thing, if people knew how and when to properly use them. Also, if they knew how to keep their kids away from them and teach them the proper respect...maybe it wouldn't be so bad when people did have them. I grew up with guns in my house, my dad was a cop. However, there was a rule. Under no circumstances ever, at any time, does anyone in the house touch them besides daddy. They will kill, period. And we never touched them no matter what. Then when we were older, my dad took us out to quarries and taught us how to properly use guns, shotguns and rifles, so that we knew the safety issues, the dangers, and how to respect their power. But we were never allowed to touch them again unless we were adults in the military, cops or hunters. I've never touched one since and have no desire to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics