Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 08:11 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times

Advertisements

elfyum, I love you!

You guys are so funny! My father is also a policeman, and I was taught to handle a sidearm and a rifle as a child. I was also taught not to touch or risk having my backside blistered. I choose a large dog for protection (although I think sometimes my cat is a better watchdog!).

I, too must was dishes in a certain order, dress in a certain order, and food CAN NOT touch on my plate. Even salad dressing must be in a small bowl on the side. I always blamed this on being a Virgo perfectionist.

I will only eat cereal with an iced tea spoon. I use a desert fork for meals (unless we have company).

I absolutely can not sleep on sheets if they are not flannel. I lived in Florida for 20+ years and slept on flannel sheets 365 days a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 08:17 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,331,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
You guys are too funny! You're all a bunch of neurotic freaks!!! Thanks for making me feel sane!!!
I AM a fanatic with dishes. I mean, they can sit in the sink for a week, but they have to have soapy water in them, I mean, come on! Love doesn't care & I guess I've lightened up on it a bit...
But the dishes are basically washed BEFORE they go in the dishwasher! My mom has the same "neurosis" so I figure that's where I got it, although I used to think she was nuts!

Ok - here's an odd one...I work in a kitchen so we have the stacks of silverware ready to go up. (room service) The forks are all bent up, & I will stand there until I find one where the prongs are perfectly straight across!!! They all think I'm nuts, but they're used to me & everyone I work with is nuts anyway! I just must eat with a straight fork!!! (And of course rinse it under boiling water even though it's clean & has been "polished" - wiped to get the water stains from the dishwasher off)

Oh - on the gun thing...Yes they are not toys!!! I HATE when people go all anti gun because some parent didn't pay attention/didn't care & some kid gets ahold of it. So many, if not all, of these tragedies could be prevented! It's not the GUNS!!! It's the PEOPLE!!!
I have thought before that if everyone were armed, (everywhere) things like The Holocaust & slavery would never have happened!!!
I don't think that washing your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher is strange...in fact, everyone I know, including myself and my mom, have done that because the dishwasher just doesn't seem to get all the food off.

I can understand the fork issue, because I am the same way. Only, I will actually throw my forks out if they have bent prongs. I've done it so much and have to replace them with the regular silverware from Target or Linens n' Things, that I have a completely mismatched set of silverware. Oh well.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
elfyum, I love you!

You guys are so funny! My father is also a policeman, and I was taught to handle a sidearm and a rifle as a child. I was also taught not to touch or risk having my backside blistered. I choose a large dog for protection (although I think sometimes my cat is a better watchdog!).

I, too must was dishes in a certain order, dress in a certain order, and food CAN NOT touch on my plate. Even salad dressing must be in a small bowl on the side. I always blamed this on being a Virgo perfectionist.

I will only eat cereal with an iced tea spoon. I use a desert fork for meals (unless we have company).

I absolutely can not sleep on sheets if they are not flannel. I lived in Florida for 20+ years and slept on flannel sheets 365 days a year.
You just made me think of something else I do. My husband noticed it on me one day. I chew ice cream when I eat it. It's the strangest thing, but I do it without fail. Also, because I only use a spoon for soup or ice cream, and I eat soup more than I eat ice cream, I sometimes forget and blow on my ice cream before I put it in my mouth. I also use the dessert fork when I eat, everyone else uses the normal dinner forks. When I was little I liked them because they were "my size" and I never outgrew the habit.

Also, I have had dogs my whole life, however, I sometimes wonder about how protective they are. There've been times where we'd hear a noise outside and get all scared and the dogs wouldn't even lift their head off the floor or pillow. I've often wondered if a thief broke in during the day, would my dogs stop them or make them a cup of coffee while they took the china.

Elf, your dad was a cop too? Yeah, touching a gun in my house definitely constituted a beating. My dad also used to make silly threats to me like, I could smoke all the cigarettes I wanted behind their backs but if I was ever walking down the street smoking and I saw his car coming, I'd better dive in the bushes or he'd shoot me in the knee caps so I'd hit the ground even before I was able to drop the cigarette. So my friends would laugh when we'd be out walking "watch out or dad's gonna shoots your knees off". Knowing what a gun could do, I wasn't about to find out if it was a joke or if he'd shoot his 15 year old daughter in front of her friends (dumbass that I am).

Old 09-14-2006, 08:42 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,683,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
NewHomes: That's funny. You know which ones freak me out too, the Teletubbies and that new one Boobah....aaaggghh...they're freaks!!!!

Mom4: I don't think it's strange to say that...I've done it. I can't quite figure out whether I was telling my kids I was sorry for dropping their doll or actually talking to the doll.

But my two other weird quirks are this: I will say excuse me if I burp...even if I'm by myself (it's just such a habit)....and I say God Bless You to my dogs if they sneeze, always. (now the kids say it to them too)
Yes!! Tele-tubbies are creepy!! I swear that show is created from someone's acid trip!!

My quirk? I have to have a clean towel every day...can stand to see used towels on the towel rack. Husband thinks I'm crazy!! I do alot of laundry.

Phobia? Stairwells in hotels or big office buildings..wont take them alone.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:14 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times
Quote:
I could smoke all the cigarettes I wanted behind their backs but if I was ever walking down the street smoking and I saw his car coming, I'd better dive in the bushes or he'd shoot me in the knee caps so I'd hit the ground even before I was able to drop the cigarette. So my friends would laugh when we'd be out walking "watch out or dad's gonna shoots your knees off". Knowing what a gun could do, I wasn't about to find out if it was a joke or if he'd shoot his 15 year old daughter in front of her friends (dumbass that I am).
We must have the same father!

Old 09-15-2006, 01:19 AM

Maybe...are you Korean or Phillipino? Because when we were little my father would bust us and tell us that my mother wasn't his first wife. He'd tell us we had a brother in Korea and a sister in the Phillipines that were about 20 years old or so! Meanwhile he would've been about 12 when they were born. He would tell us it happened during the war (Vietnam) and he just didn't know how to tell us. Whacko. He also used to tell me that I was adopted and what they did to all our pictures was take pictures of me that my real parents (who were supposed to be chinese or something) gave them and they would cut me out of the picture of me and my real parents and glue my face and body to all the pictures they had of our family! Meanwhile, I look more like my father than he does himself...it was a trip growing up in my family.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:30 AM

I hate anything that has more than four legs (meaning anything other than humans, dogs, cats, various forest friends and jungle animals, reptiles...you get the point). I don't like creepy crawlers. My kids have two hermit crabs. I allowed them to get them thinking, "well, they die after you get home from the boardwalk" not that I wished death upon them, not at all, but I just didn't think they live very long. So ours came, one from down the shore and the other from Petco. I found out these suckers can live up to 10+ years if you take good care of them and they can grow to be up to 6 inches big (the crab, not the shell). I'm petrified of them. One's a teensy little guy who's actually funny. The other one is big enough to be gross. I can't let the kids put them near me or I scream...literally. They're ugly, they have about a gazillion legs (behind those long ones are these gross, creepy little midget nubbin legs...they actually look more like knobs than legs). I freak when the kids take them out. Yet, here's the strange part. I can't stop staring at them. I watch them every chance I get because they amaze me. I told the kids they're my grandchildren. And when no one's looking, I take the out and hold them (but I don't touch their bodies, just the shell). I talk to them constantly, I've actually trained the big guy (Hermie is his name) to come when I call his name. He digs himself out of the sand and comes and looks out at me. I worry if they're buried too long, so I dig in the sand and pick 'em up to make sure they're alive. While I'm doing it though I'm afraid some freak dried up thing is going to fall out. So I'm relieved when they're okay. I absolutely hate them and yet I love and care for them. What the hell?!?!?!

Old 09-15-2006, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Yes!! Tele-tubbies are creepy!! I swear that show is created from someone's acid trip!!

Phobia? Stairwells in hotels or big office buildings..wont take them alone.

It had to be a different drug because Alice in Wonderland is a result of a major acid trip and that's an awesome movie. Maybe it was ecstasy (sp?) because you know the rumor of how that drug is supposed to make all of your senses extremely enhanced or something which supposedly makes you very open to sexual experiences...ya know, there was that whole thing about Tinky Winky and his purse!

Old 09-15-2006, 08:30 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,683,317 times
Quote:
It had to be a different drug because Alice in Wonderland is a result of a major acid trip and that's an awesome movie. Maybe it was ecstasy (sp?) because you know the rumor of how that drug is supposed to make all of your senses extremely enhanced or something which supposedly makes you very open to sexual experiences...ya know, there was that whole thing about Tinky Winky and his purse!
lol!! Ok that made me laugh out loud!! ....the part about Tinky Winky.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:33 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,790,720 times
Pixie THAT'S SO SWEET!!!!!!! You see? I TOLD you about "creatures" - it's mind over, well, many legs I guess in this case... You love them! You admitted it! You love them!!! Eventually you'll learn to love spiders as well -you'll see...!

Oh - that's Evey's dad who's a cop... (By the way, thanks for the kind words Evey! Hey are you originally from NY/NJ? Seems like all us folk have a kindred spirit... )

Pixie - HOW DO YOUR FORKS GET BENT???!!! This doen't happen at home - it's only the forks at work. And I never understand how they get like that!

You guys' dads are crazy! Another thing in common! - My dad's crazy too! Not like that though - he never threatened violence!
But he DID threaten to pour a bottle of club soda over my head if I didn't stop - I think it was messing his hair - something like that...So of course I didn't stop - and of course he poured the whole bottle over my head!!!
And I had LOOONG hair, (I could sit on it - not now! Now it's thin...Gettin old... ) very thick, and it had just been washed & dried. I must've been around 8. Yup - whole family's nuts!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics