Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 01:07 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,704,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsifoes View Post
And what did they say about violence in Santa Ana? LOL
They say you're full of bull manure.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:44 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,572,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Still ignoring what happened to the downtown I see. That's cool. I would be very embarrassed if my hometown demoed it's historic core also.

Clearly the city is very proud of its historic neighborhoods. It's only taken until 2010 to come up with a preservation plan. Anaheim: the pioneer of historic preservation. Creating an architectural Mecca in a sea of beige. Since 2010!(*cough* please ignore the fact we ripped out the heart of our city 40 years ago)
Uhh.. Ok? Would you like a cookie? Pat on the head maybe? Gold star?
I have several books on Anaheim. Then and Now and one about early Anaheim. Lots of orange groves, crappy old houses and buildings, neat. Lets see here, would I rather live in an area with 150 year old houses and old buildings no one gives two craps about or live in the now and have the most famous theme park in the world, a stadium with a pro baseball team, an arena with a pro hockey team and major national touring acts and the largest convention center on the west coast? All which bring tens of millions of dollars into the city. Hmmmm, tough choice! Santa Ana only has so much land and the decision to keep some historic crap around rather than getting rid of it and building things people actually care about and tourists visiting Disneyland would go see and spend money on is most of the reason they nearly went bankrupt in 2013. Get with the times!

Old 02-23-2015, 02:12 PM

4,475 posts, read 3,353,343 times
Quote:
Still ignoring what happened to the downtown I see. That's cool. I would be very embarrassed if my hometown demoed it's historic core also.

Clearly the city is very proud of its historic neighborhoods. It's only taken until 2010 to come up with a preservation plan. Anaheim: the pioneer of historic preservation. Creating an architectural Mecca in a sea of beige. Since 2010!(*cough* please ignore the fact we ripped out the heart of our city 40 years ago)
Uhh.. Ok? Would you like a cookie? Pat on the head maybe? Gold star?
Kudos, you CAN read after all.

The 2010 plan is the newest iteration of historic preservation. As far as I know there has been a program in place in Anaheim since at least 1988 and before that if I recall, I just don't have time to look up the data now.

And yes, both a cookie and Gold Star would be nice.

My personal experience discussion means my family has seen Santa Ana through the best times, the worst times and the improving times, but I am realistic about how Santa Ana has changed over the decades and why most of my family chose to live other places.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Kudos, you CAN read after all.

The 2010 plan is the newest iteration of historic preservation. As far as I know there has been a program in place in Anaheim since at least 1988 and before that if I recall, I just don't have time to look up the data now.

And yes, both a cookie and Gold Star would be nice.

My personal experience discussion means my family has seen Santa Ana through the best times, the worst times and the improving times, but I am realistic about how Santa Ana has changed over the decades and why most of my family chose to live other places.
Yes, white flight is a thing. I guess I just did not understand why you were bringing up your relationship to Santa Ana in a conversation about Anaheim...

I do have a question for you. Would you say that mbell's response as a born and bred resident of Anaheim to development in Anaheim is the standard perception of historic preservation in the community?
i.e.
Lets see here, would I rather live in an area with 150 year old houses and old buildings no one gives two craps about [...]

Old 02-23-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, white flight is a thing. I guess I just did not understand why you were bringing up your relationship to Santa Ana in a conversation about Anaheim...

I do have a question for you. Would you say that mbell's response as a born and bred resident of Anaheim to development in Anaheim is the standard perception of historic preservation in the community?
i.e.
Lets see here, would I rather live in an area with 150 year old houses and old buildings no one gives two craps about [...]
Born and bred in Anaheim? Who said that? I was born in Garden Grove and lived in Westminster until I was 5 and we moved to La Quinta (in the Palm Springs area) I lived all over the Coachella Valley until I moved to Anaheim in 2007. The Palm Springs area is a good discussion about progression. That is also an area thats pretty historic as well, arguably more historic than any city in OC. They have done a pretty good job keeping some of the historic buildings and land (mostly because its still owned by native Americans) but it looks nothing like it did in 1980 when we first moved there. Time moves on, things change.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Born and bred in Anaheim? Who said that? I was born in Garden Grove and lived in Westminster until I was 5 and we moved to La Quinta (in the Palm Springs area) I lived all over the Coachella Valley until I moved to Anaheim in 2007. The Palm Springs area is a good discussion about progression. That is also an area thats pretty historic as well, arguably more historic than any city in OC. They have done a pretty good job keeping some of the historic buildings and land (mostly because its still owned by native Americans) but it looks nothing like it did in 1980 when we first moved there. Time moves on, things change.
Ah. I guess I mistook you when you would would say you moved back to OC /Anaheim to mean that's where you lived previously.

Coachella Valley and yet you say Santa Ana is a dump.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Coachella Valley and yet you say Santa Ana is a dump.
Ever been to Indio? Lots of run down areas, lots of crime, mostly Hispanic, a lame little downtown they are spending $300 million to renovate..its basically Santa Ana in the desert, you'd love it! As far as Palm Springs, its a pretty famous tourist destination and it has more character, style and class than SA EVER will

Old 02-23-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Ever been to Indio? Lots of run down areas, lots of crime, mostly Hispanic, a lame little downtown they are spending $300 million to renovate..its basically Santa Ana in the desert, you'd love it! As far as Palm Springs, its a pretty famous tourist destination and it has more character, style and class than SA EVER will
Yeah, Indio is basically Santa Ana.

You're a joke.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:25 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,267,711 times
Uh, Santa Ana is in a great location: OC, proximity to LA, IE, and SD. Then there are beaches, etc. Indio? Not so much.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Uh, Santa Ana is in a great location: OC, proximity to LA, IE, and SD. Then there are beaches, etc. Indio? Not so much.
It was a joke lol However, it doesn't ahem the same characteristics of Santa Ana as I mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County