Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,231,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
well I am not going to lie and say the whole city has improved- unfortunately there are still the well known social problems that exist in Mexico.

At the same time, it has a large middle class population and has had a cultural and culinary boom. People started caring more about the city and developing things there. They have everything from book festivals, paella festivals, art festivals, everything you can think of. The Centro Cultural was expanded and modernized, and holds events all the time. And they are not skimpy events.

I recently went to a restaurant called Verde y Crema, a beautiful place with farm to table Mexican food. It was amazing.

The place where the Caesar salad was invented has been re-vamped into a classy restaurant:

Caesars

Of course, if you don't want to go to Tijuana, renowned Tijuana/Baja chefs are opening restaurants in San Diego offering unique Mexican food. I am excited about Bracero opening in Little Italy soon:

Cool New Details Revealed About Little Italy's Bracero - Eater San Diego
I am not scared to go to Tijuana as I speak Spanish. I would not drive there. I would just park at Dairy Mart Road like I used to and taxi across. That's still possible, right?

Nice place. I would love to have a glass of wine there.

I worked in Central America and that place reminds of me of some of the amazing hidden places in the affluent areas that I used to frequent when I worked and lived there. Even better yet was when I made it to awesome D.F. in Mexico (much more exciting than LA for nightlife). I love candles on the walls and traditional Spanish Colonial. Cliche, right? Sorry. Although this place doesn't have that, it looks more modern.

Sadly I don't eat much of my old favorite Mexican foods anymore due to my special dietary needs and because I am now pescatarian. I love beans and rice though, always have. It is usually the simple things for me.

Funny you mention Bracero. I heard of it.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:55 PM

115 posts, read 192,661 times
I had the opportunity to spend some time in DTSA this morning, specifically to experience the 4th Street Market. I quite often go to DTSA on weekends, but this is 1st time since the 4th Street Market has opened. That place did not disappoint. Even though it was very early for many of the shops to be open, there still was good number of patrons. It is very well laid out and I imagine it will get extremely packed as the day goes on, particularly on a beautiful day like today.

Also walked along remainder of 4th Street up to Reagan Federal Courthouse (IMHO one the most attractive modern buildings in OC) and noticed a more diverse group of pedestrian than in prior visits. Typically during a weekend day, you will find 95% immigrant families and older woman. I also noticed that Cafe Calacas had more patrons than Starbucks which is almost directly across the street from this establishment.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:09 PM

347 posts, read 671,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Cat View Post
I had the opportunity to spend some time in DTSA this morning, specifically to experience the 4th Street Market. I quite often go to DTSA on weekends, but this is 1st time since the 4th Street Market has opened. That place did not disappoint. Even though it was very early for many of the shops to be open, there still was good number of patrons. It is very well laid out and I imagine it will get extremely packed as the day goes on, particularly on a beautiful day like today.
Yeah, that place gets packed with people during the night.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:10 PM

Another cool spot opening up in Downtown that caters to millennials. First gaming arena of its kind in OC and maybe even the state.

About | Home of Competitive Gaming

Old 04-01-2015, 02:16 PM

30,701 posts, read 80,240,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
Another cool spot opening up in Downtown that caters to millennials. First gaming arena of its kind in OC and maybe even the state.

About | Home of Competitive Gaming
Located in "downtown Orange County California" - another journalist who does not understand what a county is and has never visited.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Located in "downtown Orange County California" - another journalist who does not understand what a county is and has never visited.
It's a selling point, just like Arte Moreno and his "LA Angels of Anaheim." Instead of limiting yourself to 340K you reach 3 million people.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:58 AM

117 posts, read 240,006 times
I want to see more strip clubs catering to the older crowds so we in boring south OC have somewhere to go.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsifoes View Post
I want to see more strip clubs catering to the older crowds so we in boring south OC have somewhere to go.
lol

Old 04-09-2015, 12:37 AM

30 posts, read 67,067 times
Quite honestly, the only thing cool about SA is its DT, but even that's not good enough reason to ever want to move there. The DT area, particularly, the art district, is very small with limited restaurants and shops; it isn't a great place for venues. There's really no reason for anyone to ever want to go to DTSA on a weekly basis for night life. A couple of visits, and that's it, really. What really ruins the DTSA vibe is the crowd it attracts. For example, some Asian college graduate from Chapman University was killed by two girls; they kicked her head repeatedly while spectators filmed with their cellphones and did nothing to stop their murderous rage (great people, amirite?). Furthermore, the Yost theater hosts to a bunch of young hoodlums looking to start trouble.

SA, overall, is still very gang infested, not to mention, its one of the only cities in OC where you can still purchase crack cocaine. You can still find prostitutes and transgenders selling themselves on Harbor Blvd. You can still hear gunshots during the weekend. I was over at my friends house the other night on Flower and Edinger, and we heard several gunshots around 11:30pm. Even though, SA has cleaned up a bit since the 90s, there's still no reason why anyone would live or hang out there unless you're Mexican, a desperate wanna-be hipster craving for that downtown artsy vibe, (c'mon man, hipsters in OC? pfft...) or can't afford to live elsewhere in OC. There are tons of bad drivers there, including the drunk drivers on the street with no regard for other peoples safety.

I'm no troll, I've been living in OC since 1989 and have been hanging out in SA since the 90s. Lots of my old school friends use to live on Mini St (Bishop Manor).

Old 04-09-2015, 01:09 AM

30 posts, read 67,067 times
Statistics are statistics; statistical numbers are often misconstrued. It doesn't show the recurring issues a city still faces. I can throw statistical numbers at you all day, but the truth lies within the city when you go and visit. Yes, crime rate might be down compared to the 80s and 90s, but that doesn't mean SA is a safe place to live. I most certainly won't walk around SA during the late night, especially in certain neighborhoods. Just because there are a few "safe haven" areas, doesn't mean the city is safe in its entirety. I just find it funny when you get people trying to convince themselves they've made the right choice of either renting or purchasing property in a city knowing that its a ghetto area. Yes, DTSA might be experiencing a bit of gentrification, however, it can take decades before you can see real change spread across the city. Just because you see new buildings, new restaurants/bars/cafes and renovated homes, doesn't mean the local demographics will change with it. I'd like to see the OP (you're white, right?) go walk around mini st and tell me with a straight face that you felt safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County