Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 AM

58 posts, read 205,108 times

Advertisements

How often is Corona affected by Santa Ana fires caused by the Santa Ana winds? What is the intensity of the damage? Any specific areas of Corona more susceptible than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Yes, the ones by hills.

I don't recall the Corona facing Cleveland National Forest/Santa Ana Mountains ever suffering a major fire within my lifetime, but the drier/grassy hills south of Home Gardens, east of El Cerrito towards Lake Mathews & Riverside can catch on fire, but I don't recall any homes ever being burned down. Corona Hills is almost entirely developed by now, but there are some streets that back to, or dead end to similarly wild hills.

In the past 30 years, Corona has never been burned by something like The Old Fire for example, but every fall, count on seeing and smelling the smoke coming from a random direction (2003 was by far the worst). There was this one (Freeway Complex Fire) in 2008, but that mostly affected Chino Hills State Park, Yorba Linda, and Anaheim Hills.

To be most safe, maybe don't buy a home in the hills.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:09 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
when growing up in corona i experienced multiple wild fires. i don't think any homes actually burned down, but the hills get very dry in the summer and a small flame can turn into an out of control blaze quite easily.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:40 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Freeway Complex fire = 18 homes in Corona damaged/destroyed, all in the Crestridge tract north of the freeway at the Green River off.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Freeway Complex fire = 18 homes in Corona damaged/destroyed, all in the Crestridge tract north of the freeway at the Green River off.
That the one with the gates?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:29 PM

58 posts, read 205,108 times
Thanks all. Appreciate the prompt response. Am looking at Standard Pacific development at the end of Foothill pkwy just West of Lincoln, around Elker, Rawley etc.. Any idea if those homes are in danger of being affected by the fires? Should I be concerned?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
That the one with the gates?
The one with the red roofs. It absorbed the brunt of the fire front, allowing the other one to escape harm.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbjjbh View Post
Thanks all. Appreciate the prompt response. Am looking at Standard Pacific development at the end of Foothill pkwy just West of Lincoln, around Elker, Rawley etc.. Any idea if those homes are in danger of being affected by the fires? Should I be concerned?
There is a forested slope East of the development which is inline with the direction of the Santa Ana winds. Anytime you have terrain aligned with wind you have the chance of losing homes due to flaming brands lodging under roofing, getting into attic spaces and setting trees alight that affect the structures. However, the houses are downslope and on the other side of the upslope run the fire would make on the East side, so that helps mitigate things somewhat. Personally, I'd avoid that little section that's surrounded by forest on 3 sides.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:48 PM

@Fontucky, Ah, bummer.

There is a checkpoint to get in there, they don't let in just anybody. But I was one of those somebody's one time!

-------------------------

OP, it is possible that those mountains behind the development catch on fire someday. Very beautiful area. Right by the famed Skyline Dr.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:51 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,925,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yes, the ones by hills.

I don't recall the Corona facing Cleveland National Forest/Santa Ana Mountains ever suffering a major fire within my lifetime,
i lived in the area during the 2003 fire. a co-worker's home backed up to the forest but i don't believe any homes were damaged. the lady's husband did take the roof out while trying to chop down a tree with a chain saw though! lol.

Cleveland National Forest was created on July 1, 1908 with the consolidation of Trabuco Canyon National Reserve and San Jacinto National Reserve by President Theodore Roosevelt and named after former president Grover Cleveland. The Cleveland National Forest was the site of both of the largest wildfires in California history, the 2003 Cedar Fire, and the Santiago Canyon Fire of 1889. Both fires widely consumed many sections of the area, and endangered many animal species as well.

Cleveland National Forest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties