Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 01:20 AM

30 posts, read 66,916 times

Advertisements

If you want that urban city lifestyle, I suggest you move out of Orange County. There's nothing urban about Orange County at all. If you're well traveled, like I am, you'll know Orange County is one of the most boring places on earth, unless you're really into the beach lifestyle. There's hardly any culture in OC. The next closest place for all that is LA, but even LA doesn't enough of that urban facade, unlike SF or NYC.

I also find it funny that whenever someone agrees with the OP, the only example they keep using is DTSA... One small portion of the city doesn't reflect the rest. It sounds to me that SA was the first place the OP moved to from HB, you need to spread your wings and venture out more. There are a lot more interesting places than OC or DTSA.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:30 AM

Just for the record, Irvine probably has more buildings and high rises than SA by far. Does that make Irvine urban? No, it doesn't. I rest my case.

Again, please venture out of Socal more often, then you'll know what urban really is.

Last edited by shrewdestunitmover; 04-09-2015 at 02:57 AM..

Old 04-10-2015, 01:38 AM

4,269 posts, read 3,364,816 times
I went to Santa Ana, by train, for the first time in my life yesterday to see the David Lynch retrospective at the Frida Cinema. Must admit I was a little underwhelmed by DTSA, in view of the size and population density of the city. I went to the 4th Street Market, had a Santa Ana Daisy and the pulled pork with egg, then that German place on the corner. Maybe I just didn't walk far enough.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:49 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,683,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewdestunitmover View Post
Quite honestly, the only thing cool about SA is its DT, but even that's not good enough reason to ever want to move there. The DT area, particularly, the art district, is very small with limited restaurants and shops; it isn't a great place for venues. There's really no reason for anyone to ever want to go to DTSA on a weekly basis for night life. A couple of visits, and that's it, really. What really ruins the DTSA vibe is the crowd it attracts. For example, some Asian college graduate from Chapman University was killed by two girls; they kicked her head repeatedly while spectators filmed with their cellphones and did nothing to stop their murderous rage (great people, amirite?). Furthermore, the Yost theater hosts to a bunch of young hoodlums looking to start trouble.

SA, overall, is still very gang infested, not to mention, its one of the only cities in OC where you can still purchase crack cocaine. You can still find prostitutes and transgenders selling themselves on Harbor Blvd. You can still hear gunshots during the weekend. I was over at my friends house the other night on Flower and Edinger, and we heard several gunshots around 11:30pm. Even though, SA has cleaned up a bit since the 90s, there's still no reason why anyone would live or hang out there unless you're Mexican, a desperate wanna-be hipster craving for that downtown artsy vibe, (c'mon man, hipsters in OC? pfft...) or can't afford to live elsewhere in OC. There are tons of bad drivers there, including the drunk drivers on the street with no regard for other peoples safety.

I'm no troll, I've been living in OC since 1989 and have been hanging out in SA since the 90s. Lots of my old school friends use to live on Mini St (Bishop Manor).
Quote:
Statistics are statistics; statistical numbers are often misconstrued. It doesn't show the recurring issues a city still faces. I can throw statistical numbers at you all day, but the truth lies within the city when you go and visit. Yes, crime rate might be down compared to the 80s and 90s, but that doesn't mean SA is a safe place to live. I most certainly won't walk around SA during the late night, especially in certain neighborhoods. Just because there are a few "safe haven" areas, doesn't mean the city is safe in its entirety. I just find it funny when you get people trying to convince themselves they've made the right choice of either renting or purchasing property in a city knowing that its a ghetto area. Yes, DTSA might be experiencing a bit of gentrification, however, it can take decades before you can see real change spread across the city. Just because you see new buildings, new restaurants/bars/cafes and renovated homes, doesn't mean the local demographics will change with it. I'd like to see the OP (you're white, right?) go walk around mini st and tell me with a straight face that you felt safe.
Quote:
If you want that urban city lifestyle, I suggest you move out of Orange County. There's nothing urban about Orange County at all. If you're well traveled, like I am, you'll know Orange County is one of the most boring places on earth, unless you're really into the beach lifestyle. There's hardly any culture in OC. The next closest place for all that is LA, but even LA doesn't enough of that urban facade, unlike SF or NYC.

I also find it funny that whenever someone agrees with the OP, the only example they keep using is DTSA... One small portion of the city doesn't reflect the rest. It sounds to me that SA was the first place the OP moved to from HB, you need to spread your wings and venture out more. There are a lot more interesting places than OC or DTSA.
Quote:
Just for the record, Irvine probably has more buildings and high rises than SA by far. Does that make Irvine urban? No, it doesn't. I rest my case.

Again, please venture out of Socal more often, then you'll know what urban really is.

Was there a particular reason you needed to make 4 posts for all that?

Old 04-10-2015, 12:04 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,499,784 times
Quote:

I'm sure you're the only well traveled person on this thread, and that we all need to be enlightened by the your global adventures. Do tell.

Anyways, everything has its context. We are discussing 'urban' within the framework that is Southern California, not Tokyo, Manhattan or Paris. Just the same way that our suburban model can't be compared to the Midwest, where they feel more like ranches in California due to the amount of land/space they have. If that doesn't sit well with you, fine, but move on...you're coming off as highly redundant.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:10 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,499,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I went to Santa Ana, by train, for the first time in my life yesterday to see the David Lynch retrospective at the Frida Cinema. Must admit I was a little underwhelmed by DTSA, in view of the size and population density of the city. I went to the 4th Street Market, had a Santa Ana Daisy and the pulled pork with egg, then that German place on the corner. Maybe I just didn't walk far enough.
It's pretty slow paced the majority of the time. My favorite time to visit DTSA is during the First Saturday Artwalk, which is when it reaches its highest density of people.

Also, Santa Ana's population density isn't due to a collection of high rise living arrangements like in Hong Kong, but rather to the fact that many apartments house several immigrant families...sometimes even two families per room. My best friend's parents live in an apartment in Santa Ana, and they swear they've seen around 20 people living in the two bedroom across from them.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:14 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,480,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
It's pretty slow paced the majority of the time. My favorite time to visit DTSA is during the First Saturday Artwalk, which is when it reaches its highest density of people.

Also, Santa Ana's population density isn't due to a collection of high rise living arrangements like in Hong Kong, but rather to the fact that many apartments house several immigrant families...sometimes even two families per room. My best friend's parents live in an apartment in Santa Ana, and they swear they've seen around 20 people living in the two bedroom across from them.

Yep that's ghetto

Old 04-11-2015, 02:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,559 times
Default Pros and Cons

I've been a Santa Ana resident for 3+ years, right next to South Coast Plaza which is supposedly the "good part." I wanted to like it, because it's an affordable area. I initially wanted to live here because it wasn't beige and homogenous. There are things to do and I enjoyed living here for a long time. I've been to DTSA Art Walk, the Farmer's Market, restaurants, etc. I enjoy the Camp and the many breweries in the area. Many apartment complexes are beautiful. This area has a lot going for it, and I'm sure it will get better in the upcoming decades.

But let's be realistic. Crime comes in waves here. Our property management tries to downplay it as much as possible by saying that car break-ins happen "even in Newport Beach apartment complexes." They're right, it does happen in other cities including Newport. But it happens with much greater frequency in Santa Ana. Picking a random street on the crime map in Newport Beach shows there were zero (0) crimes in the last week. In the South Coast area, over 100 crimes happened in the last week.

I would never walk alone at night around the immediate vicinity without a buddy. I see shady-looking people all hours of the day and night on foot and on bicycles around my place, and people do get robbed walking around the Target/Trader Joe's/CVS area according to the crime map.

In this past week alone, my neighbors had two car break-ins and another neighbor's SUV was stolen. A different neighbor's vehicle was stolen about 2 months ago. This is happening in a gated community with a nightly security patrol. Sure, car theft is down in general in Santa Ana compared to several years ago. In general, I have found that there's no reason why you should take a risk living here when you can live somewhere with better crime statistics.

Looking at the crime map, there were over 10 motor vehicle thefts in the last week in the desirable South Coast area, several car break-ins, and other crimes. These are happening in apartment complexes, NOT at the malls. After talking with neighbors in the years I've lived here, several of them have had their cars broken into at one point, and not just older cars or frequently stolen make/models.

When I tell my neighbors I want to move somewhere in LA County, they gasp and say how the gang activity and crime is so terrible. Santa Ana has plenty of gang activity, too. But I found a spot on the crime map in LA County where only 1 crime took place in a given week in a 2 mile radius, and 0 crimes were reported in a 1 mile radius. This wasn't in Beverly Hills, but a nice neighborhood in Long Beach (Bixby Knolls, median household income $63,416 as of 2011).

By living in Santa Ana, I feel like I am rolling the dice each day. These older apartment complexes that were built in the 70's and 80's have HOAs that spend a lot of money on upkeep, including plumbing, termite damage and more. What budget do we have for security?

Criminals know this area is an easy target, which is why they keep coming back for more. That's why I leave nothing of any value in my car whatsoever, and none of my neighbors do anymore either. That certainly doesn't stop criminals from stealing car parts, though. Catalytic converters are apparently pretty valuable.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I'm sure you're the only well traveled person on this thread, and that we all need to be enlightened by the your global adventures. Do tell.

Anyways, everything has its context. We are discussing 'urban' within the framework that is Southern California, not Tokyo, Manhattan or Paris. Just the same way that our suburban model can't be compared to the Midwest, where they feel more like ranches in California due to the amount of land/space they have. If that doesn't sit well with you, fine, but move on...you're coming off as highly redundant.
u mad?

Old 04-12-2015, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer552 View Post
I've been a Santa Ana resident for 3+ years, right next to South Coast Plaza which is supposedly the "good part." I wanted to like it, because it's an affordable area. I initially wanted to live here because it wasn't beige and homogenous. There are things to do and I enjoyed living here for a long time. I've been to DTSA Art Walk, the Farmer's Market, restaurants, etc. I enjoy the Camp and the many breweries in the area. Many apartment complexes are beautiful. This area has a lot going for it, and I'm sure it will get better in the upcoming decades.

But let's be realistic. Crime comes in waves here. Our property management tries to downplay it as much as possible by saying that car break-ins happen "even in Newport Beach apartment complexes." They're right, it does happen in other cities including Newport. But it happens with much greater frequency in Santa Ana. Picking a random street on the crime map in Newport Beach shows there were zero (0) crimes in the last week. In the South Coast area, over 100 crimes happened in the last week.

I would never walk alone at night around the immediate vicinity without a buddy. I see shady-looking people all hours of the day and night on foot and on bicycles around my place, and people do get robbed walking around the Target/Trader Joe's/CVS area according to the crime map.

In this past week alone, my neighbors had two car break-ins and another neighbor's SUV was stolen. A different neighbor's vehicle was stolen about 2 months ago. This is happening in a gated community with a nightly security patrol. Sure, car theft is down in general in Santa Ana compared to several years ago. In general, I have found that there's no reason why you should take a risk living here when you can live somewhere with better crime statistics.

Looking at the crime map, there were over 10 motor vehicle thefts in the last week in the desirable South Coast area, several car break-ins, and other crimes. These are happening in apartment complexes, NOT at the malls. After talking with neighbors in the years I've lived here, several of them have had their cars broken into at one point, and not just older cars or frequently stolen make/models.

When I tell my neighbors I want to move somewhere in LA County, they gasp and say how the gang activity and crime is so terrible. Santa Ana has plenty of gang activity, too. But I found a spot on the crime map in LA County where only 1 crime took place in a given week in a 2 mile radius, and 0 crimes were reported in a 1 mile radius. This wasn't in Beverly Hills, but a nice neighborhood in Long Beach (Bixby Knolls, median household income $63,416 as of 2011).

By living in Santa Ana, I feel like I am rolling the dice each day. These older apartment complexes that were built in the 70's and 80's have HOAs that spend a lot of money on upkeep, including plumbing, termite damage and more. What budget do we have for security?

Criminals know this area is an easy target, which is why they keep coming back for more. That's why I leave nothing of any value in my car whatsoever, and none of my neighbors do anymore either. That certainly doesn't stop criminals from stealing car parts, though. Catalytic converters are apparently pretty valuable.
People from this area prefer calling it "south coast metro" or something like that, but it's still Santa Ana. And, yes, supposedly it's the better part of SA.

Whenever you have a city full of crackheads, you'll get plenty of thefts, robberies, etc. During the night, you can see shady people walking around looking for cars to break-in. Also, you can easily spot out a crackhead. That drug literally changes the shape of the users face after a certain extent. It's disgusting...

There are plenty of neighborhoods in SA where only 1 or 2 gangs would completely dominate the area. For example, Loopers and Eastside.

I'd live in Bixby Knolls over SA any day. At least it's more diverse.

The way how I see it, affordability only goes so far; you can't put a price tag on safety and comfort, unless you really don't give a ****. For a few hundred dollars more, you can maybe find something better in Tustin or Costa Mesa. However, for even more money, you can move further south to Irvine, Foothill Ranch, etc.

Also, SA is not pedestrian friendly at all, IMO. Neither is most of OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County