Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 09:00 PM

776 posts, read 1,686,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoletteW View Post
Word to the wise- call your local ESC office and confirm whether or not you need to report if you receive and answer supplemental questions online. I received a letter telling me to report in person this week. Then, I answered the supplemental questions online. Upon doing so, the website stated I did not have to report in person this week. In calling the local ESC office today, however, I was told that - YES - I must report in person, regardless of the online supplemental questions. The rep said it is mandatory that all people report every 4 weeks in person. I was told to bring work search records since the beginning of Nov.
You might want to call again. It took me 3 different reps in order to get the truth. Last time, it took me 4 reps. The first one (my local office) told me, "Oh, of course, yes, you can't miss your appointment!" I told him that I thought the supplemental questions took care of that, like last time. "No sir, you've got to make your appointment." He went on and on...but Nicolette, he said almost exactly what the rep told you...that it's "mandatory to make your appointment regardless of the online supplemental questions." He actually ignored me when I told him, "Well, okkaaaayyy, how do you explain why my first appointment was cancelled because of the online supplemental questions?" I know that rep stupidly never glanced at my profile.

I then called my local office again...specifically asking the rep to view my profile and see if the appointment has been satisfied. Reply? "Pssh...you gotta bring ya records in, hun." I'm like, Heh? "Sir, ya can't miss your appointment." Ok...does that say that on my account? "Please do not miss your appointment, sir, K? Thank you. <click>".

So, I called the main number. I was going to use the same line I did last time, about the local office telling me that my appointment was satisfied and that I just wanted another set of eyes to confirm it...but I decided to first try the line I used when I called my local office. I asked them to pull up my profile and see if the work search review appointment was satisfied. She, who was much nicer, told me yes...I answered the supplemental questions and therefore my appointment has been cleared out. I asked again, ok, so it's been fulfilled...I don't need to attend. "That's correct sir."

This was almost exactly what happened to me last time around too. I get a runaround of local reps that are too lazy to actually look at my claim. And the main office ended up giving me the correct info. Although, come to think of it, the main office did tell me I had to show up when I really didn't before my first review.

I'm going to again, assume, that my appt has been fulfilled...but again, with how these idiots are running things, I can never get comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 PM

83 posts, read 265,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
You might want to call again. It took me 3 different reps in order to get the truth. Last time, it took me 4 reps. The first one (my local office) told me, "Oh, of course, yes, you can't miss your appointment!" I told him that I thought the supplemental questions took care of that, like last time. "No sir, you've got to make your appointment." He went on and on...but Nicolette, he said almost exactly what the rep told you...that it's "mandatory to make your appointment regardless of the online supplemental questions." He actually ignored me when I told him, "Well, okkaaaayyy, how do you explain why my first appointment was cancelled because of the online supplemental questions?" I know that rep stupidly never glanced at my profile.

I then called my local office again...specifically asking the rep to view my profile and see if the appointment has been satisfied. Reply? "Pssh...you gotta bring ya records in, hun." I'm like, Heh? "Sir, ya can't miss your appointment." Ok...does that say that on my account? "Please do not miss your appointment, sir, K? Thank you. <click>".

So, I called the main number. I was going to use the same line I did last time, about the local office telling me that my appointment was satisfied and that I just wanted another set of eyes to confirm it...but I decided to first try the line I used when I called my local office. I asked them to pull up my profile and see if the work search review appointment was satisfied. She, who was much nicer, told me yes...I answered the supplemental questions and therefore my appointment has been cleared out. I asked again, ok, so it's been fulfilled...I don't need to attend. "That's correct sir."

This was almost exactly what happened to me last time around too. I get a runaround of local reps that are too lazy to actually look at my claim. And the main office ended up giving me the correct info. Although, come to think of it, the main office did tell me I had to show up when I really didn't before my first review.

I'm going to again, assume, that my appt has been fulfilled...but again, with how these idiots are running things, I can never get comfortable.
Wow, what a mess! Well, I would love to miss my in person appointment this week, but I dare not now, based on what the local ESC rep stated today. It really angers me, too, because the wording online specifically states that we DO NOT need to report to the in person review if we file online and answer the supplemental questions!

I did explain this to the rep today. I just conducted a search in the NC forum, and jdldr(?) stated that we must report for review in person whilst receiving EB or ESC will stop our claims dead in their tracks. If this happens, the claims will be potentially reviewed and re-opened by way of the Raleigh office. I certainly do not want to potentially end up with a big mess on my hands.

Even if I call tomorrow and get another story, sadly, I'm still going to go this week.

Last edited by NicoletteW; 12-13-2010 at 10:28 PM..

Old 12-13-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoletteW View Post
Wow, what a mess! Well, I would love to miss my in person appointment this week, but I dare not now, based on what the local ESC rep stated today. It really angers me, too, because the wording online specifically states that we DO NOT need to report to the in person review if we file online and answer the supplemental questions!

I did explain this to the rep today. I just conducted a search in the NC forum, and jdldr(?) stated that we must report for review in person whilst receiving EB or ESC will stop our claims dead in their tracks. If this happens, the claims will be potentially reviewed and re-opened by way of the Raleigh office. I certainly do not want to potentially end up with a big mess on my hands.

Even if I call tomorrow and get another story, sadly, I'm still going to go this week. On average, how many contacts do you make per week and note on your work search records? Mine fluctuate, naturally, based on positions.
Well, it can't hurt to take a drive to your appointment...I remember some others who did the same thing, even after being told that the appointment was no longer necessary. There's very little trust in what these reps tell us. I'm not sure if any of those people who showed up actually had to present their forms...they were just told to leave. But, there's a bit of peace of mind in physically going down there to see for yourself...especially with the holidays and everything.

I try to do 3 contacts per week, but I believe the minimum is 2. From everything jdljr told us...the requirements are frankly, ridiculously silly. Those two contacts cannot be made on the same day of the week (in other words, if you contacted Paul on Wednesday and John on Wednesday, that apparently will throw up a red flag, I guess they want you to make contacts on more than one day each week). Also, and a problem I've run into, you cannot have the same contacts over the span of 6 weeks. And I think it's regardless of the jobs your applying for. In other words, you cannot put Paul as your contact for 3 different weeks, even if they're 3 different positions. I applied for two different jobs once and spoke with the same HR rep on two different weeks. That most likely could've torpedoed my claim. It's silly, because it's actually different positions that I'm applying for...but it's the same contact. I guess they somehow want to see you making new contacts every week.

And that's quite silly, because only so many companies are actually hiring...and these companies typically have one HR manager/rep that handles applicants.

Oh, and when is your appointment anyway? Let us know how it goes...

Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 PM

Oh and another thing...I cannot find another forum, thread, topic, or discussion on this very issue. This is certainly the place to be for information regarding the NCESC and in particular, the OP mess and these supplemental question/appointment issues. I tried to Google info about this stuff and this thread is what pops up every time. You can't even get this information off of the NCESC's site AND we, participating in this thread alone, seem to be one step ahead of the reps down there. Obviously jdljr led the way for quite awhile and pointed us in all the right directions, but even after his departure, we seem to all figure out and wade through the murkiness and get the answers we need.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:49 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,785,522 times
If I get supplemental questions that say I don't have to show up, I'm going to print that page out in case there's any backlash. I don't imagine there would be since the computer that would be ratting you out is the same that told you not to go.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:09 AM

I'm not sure if it's worded in a way that makes it sound like, if you do these supplemental questions, don't show up for your appointment. It is something along the lines...but I remember thinking to myself that it's telling me that if I don't complete the questions or I provide incorrect answers, I may be subject to a work search audit. I'd like to see the way it's worded, I dunno.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:23 AM

656 posts, read 1,142,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post

It happened to me also on Dec 3rd !
I called and asked if I needed to go and they said yes so I went with all records from day one. Thought they may be a little stricter on my work searches., so I went over the last few pages non-stop.
Got to the local and the lady at the desk told me
"You satisfied your work search by answering the online questions". I asked her IF she wanted or needed to copy anything at all and she said "No thankyou have a nice day, so I left and I did, ha!

It's such a ridiculous game. I'm glad we don't need to go in and I'm sure they want to make it seem as if we do, so we have a reason to keep our work search records....
I suppose I'll be back at it again in another week, seems the letter comes a week before the "scheduled app."

Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 AM

330 posts, read 461,812 times
if the supplemental questions, which is a change from how they followed up on those in EB before the overpayment fiasco, were the idea of some higher up to alleviate the overwhelming foot traffic, then clearly some reps didnt get the memo, and theyre defeating the purpose of them making the change.

Opack, i only hope that the posters here on this thread are not all on some food stamp thread here in 3 months. that things turn around.
its frustrating when i was in a Sears automotive dept yesterday, on my absolute last 1/8" of tire rubber, and buying cheap new ones on credit, that *I* have to help the desk guy navigate his computer screen.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:22 PM

7 posts, read 11,379 times
Default Do I Get More Benefits?

You guy's are the best I've seen on the net on this issue!!!!!
Ok, I have a question if you guys dont mind.... I called the local office today and they said I had 1 more payment left on EB. I ask if this was 99 weeks I've drawn, her answer was "not everybody is eligible for 99 weeks.... I ask, well, am I? She said "if" you are, you will receive a letter stating so..??????? It's Christmas, I have a 3 year old and a 13 year old... and I'm getting a letter to see if I'm doomed? She wouldn't tell me on the phone if I was or not. My benefits on esc website states exhausted. She said I might qualify for state benefits but I'd have to get a letter from them stating such. Here's my weeks paid .
Benefit
Received

12/11/2010
12/04/2010
11/27/2010
11/20/2010
11/13/2010
11/06/2010
10/30/2010
10/23/2010
10/16/2010
10/09/2010
10/02/2010
09/25/2010
09/18/2010
09/11/2010
09/04/2010
08/28/2010
08/21/2010
08/14/2010
08/07/2010
07/31/2010
07/24/2010
07/17/2010
07/10/2010
07/03/2010
06/26/2010
06/19/2010
06/12/2010
06/05/2010
05/29/2010
05/22/2010
05/15/2010
05/08/2010
I don't have a clue where I'm at as far as more payments are concerned. They told me at week 10/30 I was pushed to a tier 4?
Thanks for all your post guy's, and keep e-mailing the senator's!!!!!

Moderator cut: off topic

Thanks guy's, I'm done venting now. God Bless All of you!... Me, the wife and kids wish you such a MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-14-2010 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-14-2010, 03:01 PM

83 posts, read 265,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
It happened to me also on Dec 3rd !
I called and asked if I needed to go and they said yes so I went with all records from day one. Thought they may be a little stricter on my work searches., so I went over the last few pages non-stop.
Got to the local and the lady at the desk told me
"You satisfied your work search by answering the online questions". I asked her IF she wanted or needed to copy anything at all and she said "No thankyou have a nice day, so I left and I did, ha!

It's such a ridiculous game. I'm glad we don't need to go in and I'm sure they want to make it seem as if we do, so we have a reason to keep our work search records....
I suppose I'll be back at it again in another week, seems the letter comes a week before the "scheduled app."
Seriously, W-T-F??? Ugh, I will report back here after I go in to let you know how my in person visit goes down.

I saved the text displayed online upon answering the supplemental questions last Sunday. Look, the below text specifically states that "If you submit this weekly certification online, the requirement is satisfied and you should not report for the above interview." Again, WTF? But, I'm going.

Received the below text upon certifying online last week. It specifically spells out that I don't need to go this week to an in person review, yet, I was told otherwise by the local ESC rep.

Important information about your eligibility follows:
"One of the requirements for receiving benefits is the periodic review of your eligibility. You will satisfy this requirement simply by answering the "supplemental" questions on the pages which follow. If for any reason you do not submit this weekly certification online by completing the following pages, you must satisfy this requirement by reporting to your local Employment Security Commission office on Thursday, December 16, 2010 at 10:00 AM to discuss your efforts to find work. You must bring your work search records. Failure to report for this interview may make you ineligible for further benefits. If you submit this weekly certification online, the requirement is satisfied and you should not report for the above interview. You must retain your work search records for possible future review.

If you have returned to work full-time, please contact your local Employment Security Commission office to report the name of your employer and the date you started work."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina