Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 02:36 PM

776 posts, read 1,685,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace24 View Post
Hi fellows, can somebody help me with my unemployment benefits?

I have been collecting my unemployment benefits since January 2010 for over 26 weeks now, and that has ended on August, 2010. I went into my local office here in Charlotte area and they have extended my unemployment benefits up to 3 extra months. However, I called in the office today to find out how much money I have left in my account. They told me I only have $300 left. This money will last me up to December 27, 2010..... So that's almost 2 weeks from today. Will I be able to apply for an extension? Any recommendations? Thanks.
When you finished those 26 weeks in August...you should have gotten a monetary determination letter in the mail that explains what those 3 extra months of benefits are.

After those 26 weeks are up, they will determine if you qualify for the Extended Unemployment Compensation program (starting with Tier 1). I forget the max number of weeks you get in the Tiers, maybe someone else knows that. But I think it might be a max of 13 weeks, which is 3 months, so it sounds like you're at the end of Tier 1 EUC. If you were not approved for EUC, you would likely be eligible for EB (Extended Benefits) which is a max of 20 weeks...and that would be it.

Assuming you were approved for EUC Tier 1 in August...you will most definitely be able to draw Tier 2 EUC, Tier 3 EUC, and Tier 4 EUC. So, when that $300 goes...they should automatically transfer you to Tier 2 EUC, which I think is another 13 weeks...I don't remember. I know Tier 3 is a max of 13 weeks and Tier 4 is a max of 6 weeks.

BUT, before you center on all of that...Congress needs to pass the Obama compromise bill, which includes the extension of unemployment benefits (the 4 Tiers of EUC), in order for you to move to the next tier.. Without that not passed into law, the NCESC can't do much for you when you run out of benefits. It's expected to pass before the end of the month, but if not, you need to call and see if you can draw EB in the meantime, while Congress works on the extension.

Oh and if and when they do pass an extension, it may take a week or two for the NCESC to shift everybody to the next Tier. That's just how they operate...so it's best to keep tabs on them.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 03:37 PM

330 posts, read 461,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace24 View Post
Hi fellows, can somebody help me with my unemployment benefits?

I have been collecting my unemployment benefits since January 2010 for over 26 weeks now, and that has ended on August, 2010. I went into my local office here in Charlotte area and they have extended my unemployment benefits up to 3 extra months. However, I called in the office today to find out how much money I have left in my account. They told me I only have $300 left. This money will last me up to December 27, 2010..... So that's almost 2 weeks from today. Will I be able to apply for an extension? Any recommendations? Thanks.
hard to be certain without knowing your exact week of start, not just the month.
if this was your initial year getting unemployment (is it?), and that 26 weeks was the UI stage, prior to the federal EUC Tiers, then maybe the money you have taking you to Dec 27 is the end of Tier 1, the Tier thats generally 20 weeks, following a 26 week UI.
without a Congressional law passed yet, whatever Tier youre in runs its course to Dec 27 and youre done. you finish whatever Tier you were in when the Nov 27 deadline hit.

what letter did you get back in August?

if the extension law passes, you might be able to continue through the other Tiers.
or get EB even if it doesnt.
just depends on your case, your details.

EDIT
yeah, what Opack said.
max levels of Tiers are 20 weeks, 13+1, 13, 6, give or take a few pennies.
and EB of 20.

are you seeing the time of this post as one hour fast, as i am? its 5:40 ET. Hm.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:47 PM

330 posts, read 461,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehomelessobama View Post
You guy's are the best I've seen on the net on this issue!!!!!
Ok, I have a question if you guys dont mind.... I called the local office today and they said I had 1 more payment left on EB. I ask if this was 99 weeks I've drawn, her answer was "not everybody is eligible for 99 weeks.... I ask, well, am I? She said "if" you are, you will receive a letter stating so..??????? It's Christmas, I have a 3 year old and a 13 year old... and I'm getting a letter to see if I'm doomed? She wouldn't tell me on the phone if I was or not. My benefits on esc website states exhausted. She said I might qualify for state benefits but I'd have to get a letter from them stating such. Here's my weeks paid .
Benefit
Received

12/11/2010
05/08/2010
I don't have a clue where I'm at as far as more payments are concerned. They told me at week 10/30 I was pushed to a tier 4?
Thanks for all your post guy's, and keep e-mailing the senator's!!!!!

Moderator cut: off topic

Thanks guy's, I'm done venting now. God Bless All of you!... Me, the wife and kids wish you such a MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
is this your first benefit year? 2nd?
if you were just on Tier 4 10/30, and your EB is about to run out...well, i'm stumped.
not working off a max benefit year?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:09 PM

22 posts, read 68,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
When you finished those 26 weeks in August...you should have gotten a monetary determination letter in the mail that explains what those 3 extra months of benefits are.

After those 26 weeks are up, they will determine if you qualify for the Extended Unemployment Compensation program (starting with Tier 1). I forget the max number of weeks you get in the Tiers, maybe someone else knows that. But I think it might be a max of 13 weeks, which is 3 months, so it sounds like you're at the end of Tier 1 EUC. If you were not approved for EUC, you would likely be eligible for EB (Extended Benefits) which is a max of 20 weeks...and that would be it.
Yes, I'm on my Tier 1 which is 3 months and will end 2 weeks from now.

Quote:
Assuming you were approved for EUC Tier 1 in August...you will most definitely be able to draw Tier 2 EUC, Tier 3 EUC, and Tier 4 EUC. So, when that $300 goes...they should automatically transfer you to Tier 2 EUC, which I think is another 13 weeks...I don't remember. I know Tier 3 is a max of 13 weeks and Tier 4 is a max of 6 weeks.
Awesome! Thanks for the information.

Quote:
BUT, before you center on all of that...Congress needs to pass the Obama compromise bill, which includes the extension of unemployment benefits (the 4 Tiers of EUC), in order for you to move to the next tier.. Without that not passed into law, the NCESC can't do much for you when you run out of benefits. It's expected to pass before the end of the month, but if not, you need to call and see if you can draw EB in the meantime, while Congress works on the extension.

Oh and if and when they do pass an extension, it may take a week or two for the NCESC to shift everybody to the next Tier. That's just how they operate...so it's best to keep tabs on them.

Good luck!
I will either call or walk into the office to check on EB. Thanks a lot.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
hard to be certain without knowing your exact week of start, not just the month.
Actually I got laid off by the end of January and my first week of unemployment benefit started on the first week of Feb, 2010.

Quote:
if this was your initial year getting unemployment (is it?), and that 26 weeks was the UI stage, prior to the federal EUC Tiers, then maybe the money you have taking you to Dec 27 is the end of Tier 1, the Tier thats generally 20 weeks, following a 26 week UI.
without a Congressional law passed yet, whatever Tier youre in runs its course to Dec 27 and youre done. you finish whatever Tier you were in when the Nov 27 deadline hit.
Yes, that's correct. I guess it will be done in December 27, I will just ask for EB until Congress passed that law.

Quote:
what letter did you get back in August?
I had walked into the office the last week before my 26 weeks UI were ended and apply for the Tier 1. They may have sent me the letter afterward but I don't know where is it at the moment.

Quote:
if the extension law passes, you might be able to continue through the other Tiers.
or get EB even if it doesnt.
just depends on your case, your details.
I been at my job for 1 year and 3 months before I got laid off. Hopefully I'm still able to get EB. If not I'm screwed. I have been looking for job opportunity since then but no luck.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:27 PM

Ahh, yes. So since you're at the end of Tier 1, you'll immediately (automatically) be enrolled in Tier 2, then 3 and 4, if necessary.

But before any of that, you will need Congress to extend benefits, which I really think will happen either this week or next. It passed the Senate rather overwhelmingly, and there will be some obstruction from democrats in the House, but it ultimately should pass.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Ahh, yes. So since you're at the end of Tier 1, you'll immediately (automatically) be enrolled in Tier 2, then 3 and 4, if necessary.

But before any of that, you will need Congress to extend benefits, which I really think will happen either this week or next. It passed the Senate rather overwhelmingly, and there will be some obstruction from democrats in the House, but it ultimately should pass.
That's good news. So Senate has already passed, just need to wait for Congress. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by grace24; 12-15-2010 at 09:32 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 11:23 PM

7 posts, read 11,365 times
Quote:
is this your first benefit year? 2nd?
if you were just on Tier 4 10/30, and your EB is about to run out...well, i'm stumped.
not working off a max benefit year?
My benefit year says it ends in april * 2011
they just started paying me in may 2010

She told me at the local office on the phone that I had one payment left in the account.
Ask her if I would or had EB after the tier 4 I was on, she said I'd get a letter in the mail if I was approved or not
Hope you guy's can help with an answer.
And thanks a million for your time, I know you guy's have enough of your own troubles.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehomelessobama View Post
My benefit year says it ends in april * 2011
they just started paying me in may 2010

She told me at the local office on the phone that I had one payment left in the account.
Ask her if I would or had EB after the tier 4 I was on, she said I'd get a letter in the mail if I was approved or not
Hope you guy's can help with an answer.
And thanks a million for your time, I know you guy's have enough of your own troubles.
If you were pushed to Tier 4 on 10/30, it would make sense that you've now reached the end of Tier 4 since that only runs 6-7 weeks. The only program that remains is EB, which is a max of 20 weeks. Usually you'll receive EB last, but it's possible you could have already received EB during your time on unemployment...I can't say.

I can say that if you've gotten regular UI (26 weeks max), and all 4 tiers of EUC, you will most likely qualify for EB and that would be something for you to pursue. The NCESC may automatically enroll you in EB when Tier 4 exhausts, so you may not have to do much, but it's always good to keep tabs on them.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 AM

7 posts, read 11,365 times
Quote:
If you were pushed to Tier 4 on 10/30, it would make sense that you've now reached the end of Tier 4 since that only runs 6-7 weeks. The only program that remains is EB, which is a max of 20 weeks. Usually you'll receive EB last, but it's possible you could have already received EB during your time on unemployment...I can't say.

I can say that if you've gotten regular UI (26 weeks max), and all 4 tiers of EUC, you will most likely qualify for EB and that would be something for you to pursue. The NCESC may automatically enroll you in EB when Tier 4 exhausts, so you may not have to do much, but it's always good to keep tabs on them.
On the Unemployment website it states EB effective date as 12/12/2010
But no amounts, claim still reads exhausted.
I don't know what I'm going to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina