Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 12:47 PM

616 posts, read 1,753,709 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've read the info on NCESC and quoted two bits from jdljr's recent post, and I come up with 2 contacts (minimum) per week. Not 4.

"Commission Regulation 10.25 defines the minimally acceptable work search effort as two in-person contacts with different employers on different days for each week claimed. "

"Weekly Work Search Requirements -

* Different Employer Contacts Required: 2 * Number of days Required to seek work: 2"

If the requirements said 2 different contacts each day for a minimum of 2 days per week, that would equal 4. But it doesn't say that.

Maybe I worked in a law office for too long, but the requirements as written are what count. And the word "each" makes a huge difference!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 04:01 PM

17 posts, read 32,555 times
To jdljr . . . I have another question for you since the Senate did not pass the extensions and it now looks lost - - - I have 4 payments left on my tier II. Will the EB still pay in North Carolina? Or is that now gone also? I know our unemployment is still quite high, and I'm wondering if we are still "triggered on" or if that doesn't even matter anymore.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:52 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,439,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Thanks!

Is this something we should have known before we go to our first ESC visit? My visit is July 1st and if this thread hadn't popped up I would have been clueless. Does the ESC point us to this information, or do we get that info on our first visit?

Just curious ... it's hard to do something a certain way if you don't know what that is.
Anyone can go to a local office and get an "EB" Work Search Record which would have this information on it, which is a little different than the standard work search record. I'll admit, when I assist my clients, I often forget to remind them that the requirements are a little different. However, I would think that when someone files for EB they would get the determination in the mail that would specify the work search requirements for that program.

To me, it would not be unreasonable that someone would either not know or forget about the different requirements since, often folks don't get into EB until well into their 2nd benefit year.

I think our Website would also have the EB work search requirements somewhere, although I am not certain.

Last edited by jdljr; 06-25-2010 at 05:11 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I am now up to 14 weeks of waiting on my claim to clear judication. Frustrating does not even begin to describe it. I am being told almost every time I call that "You should have an answer any day now", and yet it still has not come. The last update I got was that judication had contacted my former employer, and they had failed to respond with any information.
Does anyone have any further suggestions of what I can do to try to kick start this? I am calling almost every day, asking questions, and have even had the claim expedited 4 or 5 times already.
I would assume the "fact finding" was faxed in to adjudication. I would have someone check the notes page to make sure that:

it was faxed to adjudication, AND
someone in the adjudication unit acknowledged receiving it, AND
they assigned it a docket number, AND
the assigned that docket number to an actual adjudicator.

All of this should be mentioned in the notes section of your claim (only reps see this, you wouldn't see it on the online version).

They normally don't take this long, but there may have been some points along the way where it was a week or more in between the steps. Once it makes it to the adjudicator it can take +/- 8 weeks for a decision. Fourteen weeks seems excessive for sure.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcole View Post
To jdljr . . . I have another question for you since the Senate did not pass the extensions and it now looks lost - - - I have 4 payments left on my tier II. Will the EB still pay in North Carolina? Or is that now gone also? I know our unemployment is still quite high, and I'm wondering if we are still "triggered on" or if that doesn't even matter anymore.
We are still triggered on for the time being, so EB should continue to pay. I don't know the EB phase out date off the top of my head but EB will continue to be available (if qualified) for now.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Ok, I've read the info on NCESC and quoted two bits from jdljr's recent post, and I come up with 2 contacts (minimum) per week. Not 4.

"Commission Regulation 10.25 defines the minimally acceptable work search effort as two in-person contacts with different employers on different days for each week claimed. "

"Weekly Work Search Requirements -

* Different Employer Contacts Required: 2 * Number of days Required to seek work: 2"

If the requirements said 2 different contacts each day for a minimum of 2 days per week, that would equal 4. But it doesn't say that.

Maybe I worked in a law office for too long, but the requirements as written are what count. And the word "each" makes a huge difference!!
I think you're right, now that I've looked at it a little closer. I think the main difference is that you're required to look for work TWO DIFFERENT DAYS in the week, as opposed to just making two contacts in a week. For benefits other than EB, I think as long as you make contact with two employers (even if on the same day), you would meet the requirements.

Here is something else from the ESC Website regarding the EB worksearch. The part in red would indicate just a minimum of two contacts per week, but they must be on different days:

Are the work search requirements different for this extension?
You must make a sustained and systematic effort to find work. While filing for EB, these requirements have been met when you seek work on at least two different days and make a total of two different contacts with potential employers or an agent or representative of potential employers each week. You must keep a written record of your work search and present the written record to the Commission upon request.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:13 PM

616 posts, read 1,753,709 times
jdljr, you are still the BEST source of information!

The web site has bare bones info - as does the form letter I received.

Your info still rules! :-) Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Anyone can go to a local office and get an "EB" Work Search Record which would have this information on it, which is a little different than the standard work search record. I'll admit, when I assist my clients, I often forget to remind them that the requirements are a little different. However, I would think that when someone files for EB they would get the determination in the mail that would specify the work search requirements for that program.

To me, it would not be unreasonable that someone would either not know or forget about the different requirements since, often folks don't get into EB until well into their 2nd benefit year.

I think our Website would also have the EB work search requirements somewhere, although I am not certain.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 PM

776 posts, read 1,686,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
yeah, I should've just wrote to you,lol!

Anyway... Have you had a review yet and if so what did it entail?
Oh, no...that's why I asked if you had quoted me by mistake and was referring to someone else. I have not and am not scheduled to have a review. I don't think I would be called in for a review since I'm not on EB (nor am I eligible to receive it...unfortunately cuz that means I'm stuck between tiers waiting on Congress).

Old 06-25-2010, 09:05 PM

656 posts, read 1,141,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Oh, no...that's why I asked if you had quoted me by mistake and was referring to someone else. I have not and am not scheduled to have a review. I don't think I would be called in for a review since I'm not on EB (nor am I eligible to receive it...unfortunately cuz that means I'm stuck between tiers waiting on Congress).
OOps, that's right, okay I remember you filling me in on that.
I think it must've been jskin that had her review and had posted about it somewhere along while ago.
Well mine is Wed., so we'll see how it goes.
Sure looks a mess with the senate turning down the last vote
(as expected) So I'm assuming it goes back to the house..?
Just makes me ill.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:08 PM

656 posts, read 1,141,253 times
Quote:
jdljr, you are still the BEST source of information!

The web site has bare bones info - as does the form letter I received.

Your info still rules! :-) Thank you.
Agree'd jdljr is the "BEST" and both the site and letter are bare bones on info.
Well I think my job search record is ok, so I'm done freaking out about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina