Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 04:29 PM

656 posts, read 1,143,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbb View Post
Thanks KC and I assume that this being 2nd benefit year it would not matter concerning qualifying for EB since I only drew 1 week of it before 1st benefit year ended.
jdljr can correct me if this is wrong.
I honestly think it doesn't matter that you collected 1 week of EB in your first year.
Once you became eligible for UI and a new set of EUCO8 tiers in this 2nd year, you would also be eligible for EB(If you qualifiy) , which you said yes you do and have no disqualifications on your claim ect...

If there's any EB left if and when the bill gets voted in, then they'd jpush the unused amt. to the end of your tier 4 and you could collect on it then, if our state is still triggered on and EB isn't phased out by then.

Post back and let us know, I'll be curious what you find out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 04:45 PM

18 posts, read 35,520 times
Will do and thanks very much. Between job searches, school, this will all get better. Positive attitude brings Positive results!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:03 PM

616 posts, read 1,756,613 times
We can all contact our senators and congresspersons about our concerns re the extension of unemployment benefits.

Usually there is a contact form on their web site. To find out who is your congressperson, go here: https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml
Your senator, go to this site: U.S. Senate: Senators Home

You can also contact any senator or congressperson who does not represent you, if you feel they are really getting in the way of this effort. It's best to do that by fax. Use one of the free fax services.

I just write what it means to me to have the safety net - I remind them I'll be one more foreclosure with no benefits. I tell them how many jobs I have applied for, how many resume rewrites, my attendance at job search groups and counseling. How many jobs I've applied for for which I am over- as well as underqualified. I tell them I am thankful for WIA funding (I am back in Community College but still need a job!) I tell them I have had a part-time job that has been helpful at stretching out benefits, and am still looking for not only a full-time job but another part-time job.

Anyway, if we all have time to visit this forum, we probably have time to contact our reps. Good luck to all of us!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:53 PM

776 posts, read 1,688,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
Well hey there Frrrunkis
Let me fill you in
Since we last wrote, I started classes today., so I'm hopeful this may help my job search once finished
I wouldn't certify for my EB that ESC said I was to recieve UNTIL I saw for myself some proof that I'm really eligible.
I went to my local office and they showed me the screen and the numbers , all of which still didn't add up.
I'm barely and I mean micro-barely eligible to recieve EUCO8 extensions in this new benefit year.
I meet the 1.5 rule by the large amount of $32.00 .(lol)
I have no record that shows any check or paymt in the quarter of my base period, where my base period amt. came to what ESC shows..... which is $32.00 up and over my pay stubs I have!

My dilemma frustrated me so much, I still wouldn't certify that first week I coudl've gotten EB.
I then recieved 2 letters from ESC in 3 days, one saying I was eligible for 11 weeks of EB and the base periods they had me down for
(which included the unknown additional amount of 32.00).
Then I recieved another letter breaking down in detail my pay in the base periods they used for the 2nd benefit year.
My employer did send that pay amt. to them on my quarterly earning report and that's what they used.

I believe it was $32.00 of sick pay they owed me and never paid me for , but claimed it.
All of us that were laid off complained about not getting any of our sick pay when we were laid off and that has to be a portion of mine(?)

Well long story short, I went without a weeks pay of EB, while it sat there in my account.
I don't care though, because I was so freaked out about getting slapped with a HUGE Over payment.

I'm really worried that the senate really isn't going to push this bill through.
It's honestly looking by all I've read, that it coulded be stopped right now and that's just tough.
What's your thoughts, have you read or heard anything in the past 2 days?
Thanks! Very interesting. I had just been wondering if there was some loophole that might allow me to qualify for EB. But since I got my pull forward and have skated through the remainder of my Tier 2...I'll assume I'm not going to be able to draw EB.

Oh well.

I am scared to death as to what I'm going to do if I can't advance to Tier 3. Ya know...I've done everything I could do to prepare for that day, just in case. But it still worries me. What I've heard from the nightly news tonight is that the Senate is no closer to agreeing on this bill than they were last week, or the week before. And it didn't sound like the revisions Harry Reid was working on was swaying any of the 'nays to 'yays'. I'm telling ya..I do see some form of extension eventually passing...both sides have little problem with the extension of benefits itself. It's just the perks and the possible benefits beyond 99 weeks that has caused problems.

So, I'm confident a deal will be reached. But "when" seems to be the ultimate question. I'm not counting on it this week...but hopefully next week. I just don't know where I am though. I could've sworn this was my final week of Tier 2...but I could be a week off. Or...this could be it for me...I have no idea, and the lady I spoke with in Raleigh wasn't much help either. She couldn't tell me where I was in Tier 2...my account is so screwed that it still says unknown and my payment history doesn't match what I've been getting (which is the correct amount). It's one big colossal mess.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:15 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,444,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppabart View Post
Jdljr....

You seem to be the site guru when it comes to the Unemployment questions. I hope you don't mind taking the time to explain what may happen going forward for my wife. I will give you what I know as far as her claim goes.

She was laid off in Feb 2009. Her 1st benefit year ranged from mid Feb09 - mid Feb10. In that time, she received regular benefits, floowed by EUC08 Tier 1, and then got 2 weeks into EUC08 Tier 2 when her benefit year ran out. So we were told we had to refile to start a new benefit year to continue receiving her money. Apparently she had earned enough in the next time frame to generate a whole new claim for 13 weeks. The amount she received was less than the first year by about $50 per week. Now, that 13 weeks has lapsed. When she logged in yesterday to file her unemployment online, she wasn't allowed to. However, she did call the Unemployment office this morning and the lady she talked to said that she would be eligible for more benefit. They instructed her to log in to the system tomorrow and file her unemployment like normal. My questions are these.....

#1. Is EB what she will be drawing?

#2. She said the operator she talked to back in Feb2010 (when she opened her 2nd benefit yr), told her that once she exhausted her new claim that she could finish her old claim. Is this true?

#3. The operator she talked with today was asked about the interrupted Tier 2 Euc08 claim, and the operator said that all current claims must be exhausted before going backwards and finishing up any old claims. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give. My wife is pretty upset by all of this because she is making such good faith efforts to find work. She's been on numerous face to face interviews and has gotten to the final 3 people of interviews on 3 different occasions. It's takes a toll on the both of us, to say the least. Thanks again for any help you might be able to give.

Bart
Yes, if she qualified for NEW extensions in the 2nd benefit year, then EB would be part of those new extensions and since the EUC program has not yet been extended, it would be EB she is collecting at this time. When/if the EUC program gets extended, she would revert back to the EUC until exhausted, then go back to EB.

It may be possible, once she exhausts the money in her current claim, to collect any remaining EUC money from her old benefit year, provided that the EUC program is still in existence when she gets to that point.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppabart View Post
Thanks for the reply! She called this morning and the operator that she spoke to this morning made it sound like she did qualify. She hasn't had any disqualifications. The job she got laid off from, she had worked there for 3 years. So it sounds like she will be able to draw 13 weeks of EB starting now...right? After that, she could get more but no guarantees?
It may not be 13 weeks of EB. If she collected 13 weeks of regular UI in the 2nd benefit year, then it would be just 80% of that, or 10 weeks of EB.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
...I have no idea, and the lady I spoke with in Raleigh wasn't much help either. She couldn't tell me where I was in Tier 2...
This just irritates me to no end. It's the simplest thing to tell someone where they are, what tier they're in, how many weeks they've been paid in a tier, etc. Her not being able to tell you where you were in tier 2 was sheer laziness.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:49 PM

193 posts, read 286,598 times
I'm irritated because I've called 10 times.. spoke with 10 different reps and was told 10 different things. lol. Finally I said.. I know i dont qualify for EB or any Extensions but when will the pull forward happen?? No answer.. but at least this rep knew what I was talking about. The others said I wouldnt get it.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:52 PM

776 posts, read 1,688,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
This just irritates me to no end. It's the simplest thing to tell someone where they are, what tier they're in, how many weeks they've been paid in a tier, etc. Her not being able to tell you where you were in tier 2 was sheer laziness.
It was my fault...I think I called right before her lunch break. She just seemed really rushed and I got a "Please review your eligibility letter to determine where you're at." I can translate that to..."F-off...you figure it out yourself...I'm goin to Quiznos."

Old 06-21-2010, 06:55 PM

193 posts, read 286,598 times
AHH.. i got one of those. The other day I called.. I gave her my info .. she goes "dangit. Im late for a meeting.. call the extensions number.. they can help you.. have a good day." OMG. I just want to scream. AND dont forget to mention when I call at 4:15 and wait for 30 minutes only to be hung up on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina