Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 03:21 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcole View Post
To jdljr . . . I have a question: My pullforwards finally happened on the 9th and I got 2 weeks benefits pay on Friday. Today, I did my weekly certification. At the end, it said "you claim has been accepted but cannot be processed for payment because of a prior disqualification". On my claim profile tab, it shows the "new benefit year" with the smaller payment amount, but on the benefit payment tab it shows the prior year amount and those two payments I received last week. My question is: Is this normal? I did received a letter yesterday saying my EUC tier I had been on had been pulled forward and that is what I would be receiving. Is the computer just being squirrelly?
Sounds like it was being squirly, unless you answered a question wrong which would cause an issue to be set. Just to be sure, I guess I'd call tomorrow and make sure the payment was released. Otherwise, if a question was answered wrong no payment would be released until someone resolved that issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlett View Post
I may have an opportunity to work as a temporary employee that will last about 4-6 weeks but will be paid as if I am a sub contractor with no taxes taken out. My question(s) are:

1.) If I am paid say $2000 for the work preformed over the six week period and paid in one lump sum, will that money need to be offset with the benefit money or lose EUC benefits just for the week that I am actually paid? (in other words do I lose $2000 of benefits for the $2000 actually worked?)

2.) I will be an employee with the company and officially on there payroll for the 4-6 week period. Will that end my EUC benefits even after the work is complete?
While working the temporary, part-time side job, you can continue to do your weekly certifications, but you MUST report your earnings WEEKLY, as ANY wages earned need to be reported when they were EARNED, not when they were paid. You'll have to do the calculation based on number of hours worked that week (from Sunday through Saturday) multiplied by your hourly rate (you can figure that out too). Report the GROSS earnings, before taxes.

Anything over your weekly earnings allowance would be deducted from your weekly benefit amount for all the weeks you're working.

But no, if it's just a temporary part-time side job and you continue to do your weekly certification, reporting earnings weekly, you'll continue in the EUC program. When you no longer have that work and aren't reporting the earnings, then your regular weekly benefit amount will resume.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:33 PM

10 posts, read 17,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
If it's the EUC series of extensions (Tier 1, 2, 3, 4) you're waiting to pay, that program expired June 2. You and many others are awaiting Senate approval to extend the program. When/If the Senate votes to extend the program, then ESC will have to reprogram computers to accept that new expiration date, then the EUC program will begin paying again. I would keep certifying each week, and any week for which you've certified will be payable (so long as you're otherwise eligible) when/if the program gets extended.
Dear JDLJR:

Thanks for the info. At least I know where I stand now.

Perhaps you may be able to answer a few more questions for me. I file my certifications online. However, due to my benefits having been exhausted, I can no longer file my certifications online; it simply tells me my benefits are exhausted, and to call the remote service center for more information.

Should I file by phone via the certification line? Or will I need to call the Remote Service Center during business hours, and file with a live rep?

If I do not file, but H.R.4213 is passed, say, in two weeks, it will be retroactive, according to the wording within the Bill. That should mean that, once the ESC has updated their systems, I will be able to file, retroactively, for the weeks that I was unable to file online, correct?

Sorry for all of the questions. I really, really appreciate the assistance you're providing here. You're a Saint!

Old 06-13-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowas View Post
Dear JDLJR:

Thanks for the info. At least I know where I stand now.

Perhaps you may be able to answer a few more questions for me. I file my certifications online. However, due to my benefits having been exhausted, I can no longer file my certifications online; it simply tells me my benefits are exhausted, and to call the remote service center for more information.

Should I file by phone via the certification line? Or will I need to call the Remote Service Center during business hours, and file with a live rep?

If I do not file, but H.R.4213 is passed, say, in two weeks, it will be retroactive, according to the wording within the Bill. That should mean that, once the ESC has updated their systems, I will be able to file, retroactively, for the weeks that I was unable to file online, correct?

Sorry for all of the questions. I really, really appreciate the assistance you're providing here. You're a Saint!
Yes, that's correct. Or at least that's what we'd like to think the system will allow, but sometimes it requires manual intervention from a rep to get the claim going again. But generally, you can file up to 4 weeks at a time. If you wait more than 4 weeks to file, it will inactivate your claim and you'd have to have someone re-open it for you. Plus, you may miss a week of benefits because we can only go back 28 days when picking up any back weeks.

I don't know if there's anything a rep could do until the Senate approves the extension. You may be able to collect EB (Extended Benefits) while awaiting Senate approval and system re-programming. You'd have to call and ask if you would qualify to receive EB. You may or may not, depending whereabouts you are in the claim process.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Yes, that's correct. Or at least that's what we'd like to think the system will allow, but sometimes it requires manual intervention from a rep to get the claim going again. But generally, you can file up to 4 weeks at a time. If you wait more than 4 weeks to file, it will inactivate your claim and you'd have to have someone re-open it for you. Plus, you may miss a week of benefits because we can only go back 28 days when picking up any back weeks.

I don't know if there's anything a rep could do until the Senate approves the extension. You may be able to collect EB (Extended Benefits) while awaiting Senate approval and system re-programming. You'd have to call and ask if you would qualify to receive EB. You may or may not, depending whereabouts you are in the claim process.
Thanks again, JDLJR. I'll call and speak with a rep first thing in the morning. I really hope I qualify for EB. But either way, you've been a great help.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:18 AM

330 posts, read 460,899 times
what in the world is the Senate waiting for...banks, ok. car companies, ok. um...how bout us regular folks.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:25 PM

5 posts, read 8,895 times
jdljr,

In your explanation of the 6 times rule, effective May 16th, you say this determines eligibility for regular UI for a second benefit year (of course along with the other normal considerations). I do not qualify due to the 6 times rule, but otherwise would have qualified for a new round of 17 weeks of regular UI. I have substantial income across the first two quarters of my second year base period. In your explanation, you only relate the 6 times rule to qualifying for regular UI. Does not qualifying for second year regular UI rule me out for second year EUC and EB as well (assuming congress passes the pending extension bill)? I had exhausted the 4 tiers of EUC and was drawing EB when my first year ended. I have already requested a pull forward of remaining EB from my first year.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockoo1 View Post
jdljr,

In your explanation of the 6 times rule, effective May 16th, you say this determines eligibility for regular UI for a second benefit year (of course along with the other normal considerations). I do not qualify due to the 6 times rule, but otherwise would have qualified for a new round of 17 weeks of regular UI. I have substantial income across the first two quarters of my second year base period. In your explanation, you only relate the 6 times rule to qualifying for regular UI. Does not qualifying for second year regular UI rule me out for second year EUC and EB as well (assuming congress passes the pending extension bill)? I had exhausted the 4 tiers of EUC and was drawing EB when my first year ended. I have already requested a pull forward of remaining EB from my first year.
Yes, if you don't meet the 6x rule, then you wouldn't qualify for anything related to a 2nd benefit year. The only thing that you'd be able to do is continue with your EB from your first benefit year. When you've received your last payment of EB, then your benefits would, presumably, be exhausted.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:43 AM

Dear JDLJR, and whomever it may concern:

If you go back to page 205, and read the last few posts on 205 (and the first couple on 206) from myself and JDLJR, you will be able to gain some insight as to what you may expect if your regular UI benefits expired AFTER May 22nd (the current cut-off date for EUC08 eligibility).

In my case, my benefits were exhausted two weeks after the cut-off date, essentially rendering me ineligible for EUC08 benefits at this time. That may change once the Senate and House vote to extend (if they vote to extend), but for now, anyone who's benefits expire after 22 May is ineligible for EUC08 tiers.

However, after speaking with a rep on the phone, my claim was re-opened, and my claim was qualified for Extended Benefits. This was done within 24 hours of speaking to a rep. Kudos to the ESC on this one, and an FYI for those out there in my precise same situation.

If you missed the cut-off for EUC08 like I did, you may still qualify for EB. Call the Remote Service Center, or go to your local office and inquire. Good luck to all of you out there, and many thanks once again to JDLJR for all of your assistance. We'd be lost and confused without your help.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
what in the world is the Senate waiting for...banks, ok. car companies, ok. um...how bout us regular folks.
Amen! But to be fair, it isn't JUST Unemployment Benefits in the Bill they're working on. There is a lot (more than $141 billion worth in all) of stuff in that Bill. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's aids have been quoted as stating that a vote will come by the end of the week, and they are confident it will pass without much trouble. They need 60 votes, and I think they had nearly that at the end of considerations yesterday. We'll see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed!

Honestly, I'm more worried about how long it will take once the Bill reaches the House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina