Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
If you do not qualify for NEW extensions in your 2nd benefit year, then they would do a "pull forward" to bring your unused EUC from your 1st benefit year into your 2nd benefit year for you to draw. When they do the pull forward, they'll also bring with it the old benefit amount you were receiving in the 1st benefit year.

You are not eligible for EB (Extended Benefits) if you've received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year.
Thank you for the information. Hopefully the pull forward won't take long OR the new extensions will be voted on and passed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 04:58 PM

193 posts, read 285,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
If you do not qualify for NEW extensions in your 2nd benefit year, then they would do a "pull forward" to bring your unused EUC from your 1st benefit year into your 2nd benefit year for you to draw. When they do the pull forward, they'll also bring with it the old benefit amount you were receiving in the 1st benefit year.

You are not eligible for EB (Extended Benefits) if you've received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year.

but this is to be done if and when the bill passes, correct?

Old 06-19-2010, 07:28 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcole View Post
jdljr, thanks for the information. Yes, I do live in NC (Asheville), and my current tier ( II ) will run out in July. The Senate has everyone worried. That's why I am wondering about the EB benefits. At least it would be a lifeline, so to speak. ( On my original benefits, I qualified for 26 weeks of regular UI benefits beforeing starting the tiers)
If you're in your first benefit year, no problem on switching over to EB - have someone do a "B1 NIE" to build the EB on your claim (as long as you didn't have a disqualification on your claim - then you wouldn't qualify) when you exhaust the EUC tier you're in - IF the Senate has not extended the EUC program by then.

If you're in your 2nd benefit year and received regular UI in the 2nd benefit year, you wouldn't qualify for EB.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmchic00 View Post
but this is to be done if and when the bill passes, correct?
Well, these types of pull forwards occur once each week (supposedly) and for some, I do believe once the pull forward is done they would begin their tier right away. This would be those folks that were in the middle of their tier when their benefit year ended. Since they were in the middle of the tier, I believe it should just continue once the pull forward is done. But for those folks whose benefit year may have ended right when they ended a tier, they technically may have to wait until the Senate extends the EUC program before they can begin the next tier.

I'm not 100% certain, though. It's not something I've had to deal with frequently.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:02 PM

17 posts, read 32,511 times
jdljr . . . my original claim was 5/24/2009 - 5/23/2010. I received 26 weeks of regular UI, then finished tier I, am currently on tier II (I did not qualify for a 2nd year, so my claim was "pulled forward", and I have had NO disqualifications on my claim). So if the Senate does not pass this bill, can I still get my EB then? (IF I have not found a job . . . I would MUCH rather be working!)

Old 06-20-2010, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,966 times
Ive been on unemployment for about 5 months and i only have two more months worth of money left to be given. My BYE says i have benefits until Feburary of 2011 so can i just apply again or do i lose all benefits in two months, and does the amount time i worked have an impact on how long ill be paid.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcole View Post
jdljr . . . my original claim was 5/24/2009 - 5/23/2010. I received 26 weeks of regular UI, then finished tier I, am currently on tier II (I did not qualify for a 2nd year, so my claim was "pulled forward", and I have had NO disqualifications on my claim). So if the Senate does not pass this bill, can I still get my EB then? (IF I have not found a job . . . I would MUCH rather be working!)
Yes, you should be eligible for EB as long as you did not get regular UI in your 2nd benefit year. You could have someone do that NOW (a "B1 NIE") so you can still get benefits while you are waiting for the Senate to act. Then when (if) the Senate passes extension of the EUC program, you would revert back to collect EUC until that's exhausted, then resume your EB.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey4 View Post
Ive been on unemployment for about 5 months and i only have two more months worth of money left to be given. My BYE says i have benefits until Feburary of 2011 so can i just apply again or do i lose all benefits in two months, and does the amount time i worked have an impact on how long ill be paid.
When you opened your benefit year in Feb, 2010 it began a 52-week period of time that you may be eligible for benefits. It does not mean that you will get benefits for the entire 52 week period. Some folks qualify for the bare minimum within their benefit year (13 weeks of regular UI, and no extensions), others qualify for the maximum (26 weeks of regular UI and all extensions), still others fall somewhere in between. It's ALL based on work and earnings in your base period and a benefit year (which is what you opened in February) is simply a period of time for which folks have qualified to open a claim. It's a claim period, not a benefit period. Remember, it's Unemployment INSURANCE. Employers pay premiums each quarter to ESC based on the number of employees they have and any past claims for which they were liable.

Without seeing your claim, I am not clear from which pot of money you are currently collecting...regular UI? Tier 1-4 of the EUC extension? Depending on from which pot of money you're drawing, you may qualify for extensions (or more extensions) in two months, if those programs are still in existence.

If you receive all benefits you're eligible to receive, you will have to wait until Feb 2011 to attempt a new benefit year. You cannot open a new benefit year until the one you're in has expired, even if you have exhausted all funds and would otherwise qualify for more benefits (say, with the "lag" wages in your base wage file).

Old 06-21-2010, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,818 times
Jdljr....

You seem to be the site guru when it comes to the Unemployment questions. I hope you don't mind taking the time to explain what may happen going forward for my wife. I will give you what I know as far as her claim goes.

She was laid off in Feb 2009. Her 1st benefit year ranged from mid Feb09 - mid Feb10. In that time, she received regular benefits, floowed by EUC08 Tier 1, and then got 2 weeks into EUC08 Tier 2 when her benefit year ran out. So we were told we had to refile to start a new benefit year to continue receiving her money. Apparently she had earned enough in the next time frame to generate a whole new claim for 13 weeks. The amount she received was less than the first year by about $50 per week. Now, that 13 weeks has lapsed. When she logged in yesterday to file her unemployment online, she wasn't allowed to. However, she did call the Unemployment office this morning and the lady she talked to said that she would be eligible for more benefit. They instructed her to log in to the system tomorrow and file her unemployment like normal. My questions are these.....

#1. Is EB what she will be drawing?

#2. She said the operator she talked to back in Feb2010 (when she opened her 2nd benefit yr), told her that once she exhausted her new claim that she could finish her old claim. Is this true?

#3. The operator she talked with today was asked about the interrupted Tier 2 Euc08 claim, and the operator said that all current claims must be exhausted before going backwards and finishing up any old claims. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give. My wife is pretty upset by all of this because she is making such good faith efforts to find work. She's been on numerous face to face interviews and has gotten to the final 3 people of interviews on 3 different occasions. It's takes a toll on the both of us, to say the least. Thanks again for any help you might be able to give.

Bart

Old 06-21-2010, 11:28 AM

656 posts, read 1,139,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppabart View Post
Jdljr....

You seem to be the site guru when it comes to the Unemployment questions. I hope you don't mind taking the time to explain what may happen going forward for my wife. I will give you what I know as far as her claim goes.

She was laid off in Feb 2009. Her 1st benefit year ranged from mid Feb09 - mid Feb10. In that time, she received regular benefits, floowed by EUC08 Tier 1, and then got 2 weeks into EUC08 Tier 2 when her benefit year ran out. So we were told we had to refile to start a new benefit year to continue receiving her money. Apparently she had earned enough in the next time frame to generate a whole new claim for 13 weeks. The amount she received was less than the first year by about $50 per week. Now, that 13 weeks has lapsed. When she logged in yesterday to file her unemployment online, she wasn't allowed to. However, she did call the Unemployment office this morning and the lady she talked to said that she would be eligible for more benefit. They instructed her to log in to the system tomorrow and file her unemployment like normal. My questions are these.....

#1. Is EB what she will be drawing?

#2. She said the operator she talked to back in Feb2010 (when she opened her 2nd benefit yr), told her that once she exhausted her new claim that she could finish her old claim. Is this true?

#3. The operator she talked with today was asked about the interrupted Tier 2 Euc08 claim, and the operator said that all current claims must be exhausted before going backwards and finishing up any old claims. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give. My wife is pretty upset by all of this because she is making such good faith efforts to find work. She's been on numerous face to face interviews and has gotten to the final 3 people of interviews on 3 different occasions. It's takes a toll on the both of us, to say the least. Thanks again for any help you might be able to give.

Bart
Hi Bart,
well I'm definately NOT Jdljr(lol)
However ,I'm going to stick in my 2 cents worth in hopes to help ease your mind some
Your wife and I are in the EXACT same situation and my benefit year also started in Feb '09, finished in Feb '10., I had enough to start a new UI and then qualified by just a tad to start a new round of EUCO8 in this 2nd benefit year.

Now it's all up to the senate vote , if we all move forward with anymore benefits ect....
OK, the part of this that will help you is this., since she was told she WOULD qualify for euco8 in this new year, then she will be eligible to have her EB right now while she waits for the senate vote.
Now she has to have NO previous disqualifications on her claim in order to get her EB (state money) but mine kicked in May 30th and I've been allowed to draw on it while I wait and wait and wait....
I'm guessing in the horrible circumstance that the senate will not allow any further advancement of the extension bill, those of us collecting EB will continue with that til it runs out.
I was allowed 11 weeks of EB and have drawn 2 so far.
I guess if the EUCO8 does get reinstated, I'll start on tier one and the EB will go back to the end of all my tiers or until our states EB program is discontinued. We're one of 8 states left that still have EB triggered(Thank goodness)

Jdljr, can help you alot more with your questions, however, it sounds like if you call The service center they'll be able to start your wife on EB
(if she qualifies)
Goodluck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina