Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 02:38 PM

83 posts, read 265,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
jdljr can fill in the gaps if I miss anything, especially since I don't know if some contract work would affect it...but, I was in a similar boat as you (except my benefit year ended while I was in the middle of Tier 2). I qualified for a new (reduced) claim in my second year, and when that ended...I was able to immediately pull forward the remaining balance of my Tier 2 benefits from my first year. So you absolutely should be able to roll back to where you were in Tier 1 after this regular UI you're on runs out in a month.

It's also possible that you could qualify for completely new EUC benefits in your second year (1.5 rule, I believe)...and if not, you'll just get the pull forward of your first year EUC.

From what I understand, you are not eligible for EB in your second benefit year if you get a pull forward and don't qualify for new EUC.

Congress really needs to act on the extension though. You may be able to pull forward the remaining Tier 1 benefits you have left (as jdljr just discussed), but you will not be able to move up a tier without Congress' extension, which is where I'm kinda at now.

EDIT: Of course KC beat me to it by 5 minutes!
Thanks for your response! I made a mistake. Like you, I was in the middle of Tier 2 when I had to start a second benefit year.

I just called the local ESC office and was told that one of two things will happen to me- 1) I will not receive further benefits after next month; or 2) if the fed govt passes an extension, I will start Tier 1 again based on my second benefit year. I was hoping to potentially pull forward from year one, because my benefits were so much higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 02:58 PM

776 posts, read 1,685,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
I just heard that also.....

Of course it won't pass. I really think i should have gone into politics, I surely would've qualified for a senate seat

Are you watching C-span2?
Yeah, I've been popping in every now and then to see what's going on.

Here's the ridiculous "Playing Politics" kicker though...ready? I just heard a few dems saying that the $35 billion dollars that is not paid for in this latest monstrosity is strictly for the extension of unemployment insurance.

Bottom line...I think the savages know full well that it's not going to pass and it will obviously be because it wasn't fully paid for. But that will allow the bill's supporters to come out and say, "OH! These people hate the unemployed...we should be able to add to deficit if it means helping the unemployed! They hate America!"

Stop playing politics and just make the necessary spending cuts (or dip into some of that stimulus cash that's still laying around) to get this bill passed. That's all it's really going to take. Get it done.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:06 PM

18 posts, read 29,984 times
Good thing our stimulus money is supporting all tax payers?

City of Seattle to Contractors: No White Males Need Apply?

Old 06-24-2010, 04:15 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,438,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoletteW View Post
Forgive me if this has been addressed, specifically. There's 217 pages in this thread, so I haven't read all of them!

I was in the middle of Tier 1 when my first benefit year ended. I qualified for a second benefit year and was forced into "regular" benefits for the second year at a reduced amount, though I understand the formula. These benefits will end next month.

Will I be entirely off the unemployment roll, if still unemployed, at that point? I've picked up some contract work and have reported earnings. Regardless, I'm wondering if I will be able to pull forward EUC amounts from my original benefit year, such as the remainder of Tier 1. Or, what about NC extended benefits?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
If you do not meet the 1.5 times rule to qualify for NEW extensions in your 2nd benefit year, then yes, you should be able to have your unused Tier 1 pulled forward into your new benefit year. Then, provided the EUC program gets extended by the Senate, you should transition into Tier 2. You would not qualify to have your EB pulled forward because you received regular UI in your 2nd benefit year.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
jdljr can fill in the gaps if I miss anything, especially since I don't know if some contract work would affect it...but, I was in a similar boat as you (except my benefit year ended while I was in the middle of Tier 2). I qualified for a new (reduced) claim in my second year, and when that ended...I was able to immediately pull forward the remaining balance of my Tier 2 benefits from my first year. So you absolutely should be able to roll back to where you were in Tier 1 after this regular UI you're on runs out in a month.

It's also possible that you could qualify for completely new EUC benefits in your second year (1.5 rule, I believe)...and if not, you'll just get the pull forward of your first year EUC.

From what I understand, you are not eligible for EB in your second benefit year if you get a pull forward and don't qualify for new EUC.

Congress really needs to act on the extension though. You may be able to pull forward the remaining Tier 1 benefits you have left (as jdljr just discussed), but you will not be able to move up a tier without Congress' extension, which is where I'm kinda at now.

EDIT: Of course KC beat me to it by 5 minutes!
And of course you BOTH beat ME to it!

Old 06-24-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobegone View Post
hello all - it's been a few months since i've been on the site. it's good to see that great folks like jdljr and kc-carolina (among others) are still generously providing their kind, well informed assistance. just to update my scenario: i was a few weeks into my tier 2 (not tier 1, like the above post by nicolettew) when my initial benefit yr ended (first wk in april), and i qualified for the 2nd benefit yr and have been drawing the dreaded reduced amount regular benefits. those will end in mid july. i guess what i'm trying to be updated on is - has anything changed that would cause me not to resume my remaining tier 2 benefits at that point? and would i have to go thru a 'waiting week'? and lastly, *smile* - would the benefit amount be the same as before? thanks, 'guys'.
To answer the rest of your questions, you would not have to serve a new waiting week (only one waiting week is required per benefit year), and also, when they pull forward unused EUC they also pull forward the old benefit amount with it.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:26 PM

193 posts, read 286,060 times
Ok.. so I get home today and have 4 letters from NCESC.. ONE says i dont qualify for EB or extensions Letter TWO is a wage transcript ??? letter THREE says I did not qualify for EUC and letter FOUR says I'VE BEEN OVERPAID?!!!!! I'm beyond irate. Still.. NO pull forward. No nothing. This is ridiculous. It may just be easier if I fly back to NC for a day and spend all day at an office.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:57 PM

18 posts, read 35,463 times
I was in Tier 3 second benefit year and it ended. I received a fraction of full payment and have one more which looks like a added payment from Tier 3.

If I understand correctly and they are telling me this at ESC,,, I can not transition into Tier 4 unless congress passes new bill whenever that may be. Is there anywhere else I can pull from until they get this fixed since I only received 1 week of EB in 1st year which I understand can not be pulled forward. O do I just keep doing my benefit each week and when they do pass (I hope) bill I will get paid back for weeks I qualified in lump sum?

Old 06-24-2010, 05:28 PM

616 posts, read 1,753,125 times
Exactly.

I have faxed copies of my bills to Senator Burr with a note asking him to include them in his budget, because as far as am concerned, his vote means he's willing to take up the slack.

Not that I think it will help much, but it felt good. I think I'll send them to Senator Nelson (D-NE) also.

I'm not sure I understand "Cloture Vore" - but I wonder - does anyone know why today Senator Byrd (D-WV) didn't vote?

You know, the amount of money being voted on isn't all that much, in the grand scheme of things. But it means a LOT to us, and there is a multiplier effect when those of on unemployment benefits buy groceries, pay our bills (what we can pay), and we do actually pay taxes on our UI.

Geesh, what idiots!

Quote:
Yeah, I've been popping in every now and then to see what's going on.

Here's the ridiculous "Playing Politics" kicker though...ready? I just heard a few dems saying that the $35 billion dollars that is not paid for in this latest monstrosity is strictly for the extension of unemployment insurance.

Bottom line...I think the savages know full well that it's not going to pass and it will obviously be because it wasn't fully paid for. But that will allow the bill's supporters to come out and say, "OH! These people hate the unemployed...we should be able to add to deficit if it means helping the unemployed! They hate America!"

Stop playing politics and just make the necessary spending cuts (or dip into some of that stimulus cash that's still laying around) to get this bill passed. That's all it's really going to take. Get it done.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmchic00 View Post
Ok.. so I get home today and have 4 letters from NCESC.. ONE says i dont qualify for EB or extensions Letter TWO is a wage transcript ??? letter THREE says I did not qualify for EUC and letter FOUR says I'VE BEEN OVERPAID?!!!!! I'm beyond irate. Still.. NO pull forward. No nothing. This is ridiculous. It may just be easier if I fly back to NC for a day and spend all day at an office.
Some of those letters relate to your finished benefit year, the others to your new attempted benefit year. There is ALOT going on when you switch benefit years, especially if you don't qualify for something in the new benefit year. Not sure about the overpayment part, though. I can understand your frustration not being able to easily go into an office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina