Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 06:24 AM

187 posts, read 347,631 times

Advertisements

Big "hush hush" culture in the south too. I guess just different things are considered what's okay to talk about. You can talk about Jesus, guns, hating Muslims and hating gays all day long...but don't even think about saying "I'm pro choice" or "I'm an Atheist" or "Hey! My name is Rachael and this is my wife Monica". Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 06:30 AM

I guess if you're pro gun, pro Jesus, and pro life in the south, you don't have much to worry about if you speak your mind. Equally, I assume if you're pro gay rights, pro Union, liberal, etc...up north, you don't have to worry too much about speaking your mind. Am I correct in assuming this about the north? People can be really reluctant to listen to alternative opinions anywhere you go, I would think. Your comfort level would just depend on whether or not your opinion is the popular one.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:10 AM

93,911 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKnox View Post
I guess if you're pro gun, pro Jesus, and pro life in the south, you don't have much to worry about if you speak your mind. Equally, I assume if you're pro gay rights, pro Union, liberal, etc...up north, you don't have to worry too much about speaking your mind. Am I correct in assuming this about the north? People can be really reluctant to listen to alternative opinions anywhere you go, I would think. Your comfort level would just depend on whether or not your opinion is the popular one.
I believe that there will be some crossover, to a degree, about some of these issues. I will still contend that you can find what you are looking for up here though. Here is another reason why Ithaca is suggested: Ithaca is Ready! - Ithaca Gay Weddings - Ithaca, New York

Old 08-29-2013, 10:08 AM

I think so too, CKH. Thanks for all of your advice. BTW, we will be getting married when we are there the week after next. We have everything set up to get our marriage license in Niagara Falls and have the wedding there the next day, then we are going to spend our honeymoon touring the rest of upstate, including Ithaca and the Adirondacks. We are heading to Boston before we leave and are spending a few days there. Very excited.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:14 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,834,514 times
Quote:
Big "hush hush" culture in the south too. I guess just different things are considered what's okay to talk about. You can talk about Jesus, guns, hating Muslims and hating gays all day long...but don't even think about saying "I'm pro choice" or "I'm an Atheist" or "Hey! My name is Rachael and this is my wife Monica". Lol!
Quote:
Don't overthink this too much, there are rednecks everywhere. Some people you will find in the North (or South) aren't rednecks but honestly arrive at their decisions on gay marriage and Jesus and guns through thoughtful contemplation, religious beliefs, and the dogma of their faith. As a lesbian couple, you will have less vitriol aimed at you than a gay male couple, especially in rural areas. This will be the case anywhere in the US. The more flamboyant it is, the more problems you may run into.

The more important issue is whether or not you can find a job in Central NY or Western NY in your field. Its extremely tight right now, and jobs are not overflowing in New York State, anywhere, but especially central / western NY. I would focus on that, because that will probably be your determining factor on where to live.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:17 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,279,442 times
Differently wanna watch your words very carefully in NY. If your in mixed company best to either toe the left wing line or talk about the weather.

NYers are overwhelming closed minded. They talk a big game but you wanna bring out the true colors bring up guns or free markets or anything else the far left disapproves of.

On gay matters I think everyone is pretty cool. No gay men I'm aware of but plenty of women. I'm actually sitting across from a gay married woman now and I just asked her if we treat her good and she told me to go do something anatomically impossible so she's pretty comfortable.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:50 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,223,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Don't overthink this too much, there are rednecks everywhere. Some people you will find in the North (or South) aren't rednecks but honestly arrive at their decisions on gay marriage and Jesus and guns through thoughtful contemplation, religious beliefs, and the dogma of their faith. As a lesbian couple, you will have less vitriol aimed at you than a gay male couple, especially in rural areas. This will be the case anywhere in the US. The more flamboyant it is, the more problems you may run into.

The more important issue is whether or not you can find a job in Central NY or Western NY in your field. Its extremely tight right now, and jobs are not overflowing in New York State, anywhere, but especially central / western NY. I would focus on that, because that will probably be your determining factor on where to live.
Really? Well, I wish all these people who are desperate for jobs would actually start applying for them! The college where I work is having a tough time finding candidates for tech jobs in the last year. We've had to re-open two separate searches to get enough candidates. Our last three IT hires have come from Colorado Springs, CO, Appleton, WI, and NYC.

It may be that blue-collar folks and people with arts/language/social science degrees are having a hard time finding work but a lot of technical jobs are going begging, so people with STEM degrees and work experience can find jobs easily enough, particularly if they're flexible on location.

The OP and her soon-to-be spouse have STEM qualifications, so I doubt that they'll have many issues.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,223,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Differently wanna watch your words very carefully in NY. If your in mixed company best to either toe the left wing line or talk about the weather.

NYers are overwhelming closed minded. They talk a big game but you wanna bring out the true colors bring up guns or free markets or anything else the far left disapproves of.

On gay matters I think everyone is pretty cool. No gay men I'm aware of but plenty of women. I'm actually sitting across from a gay married woman now and I just asked her if we treat her good and she told me to go do something anatomically impossible so she's pretty comfortable.
Bull manure. That you call anybody who dares disagree with you "far left" demonstrates that it's not the people who disagree with you who are close-minded. Just because I dislike the NRA's "every nut has the right to his own personal high-powered arsenal" mentality doesn't make me "far left". No private citizen needs a 100 round magazine clip unless he/she is planning mass mayhem.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:22 AM

93,911 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Really? Well, I wish all these people who are desperate for jobs would actually start applying for them! The college where I work is having a tough time finding candidates for tech jobs in the last year. We've had to re-open two separate searches to get enough candidates. Our last three IT hires have come from Colorado Springs, CO, Appleton, WI, and NYC.

It may be that blue-collar folks and people with arts/language/social science degrees are having a hard time finding work but a lot of technical jobs are going begging, so people with STEM degrees and work experience can find jobs easily enough, particularly if they're flexible on location.

The OP and her soon-to-be spouse have STEM qualifications, so I doubt that they'll have many issues.
Also, many openings have been posted. So, there are potential opportunities available.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:34 PM

969 posts, read 2,078,371 times
I agree with Linda & Ck.. I live in SW NY, where the general impression/image is that there are no jobs and there is lots of welfare. As Linda pointed, my experience and that of many employers in the area is that there is an incredible lack of willing and/or skilled workers. I happened to be laid off just a few weeks ago and had 3 good jobs offered without much effort, mainly because there is almost no competition here in terms of workers. If you have skills or just plain have a decent work ethic, I don't expect most would have trouble finding employment, though of course if depends on your field.

As far as politics... it's never been a factor where I've located. I've travelled quite a bit and find very little meaningful differences between people throughout the country. With most, the way you are treated, no matter your background/politics/lifestyle, is heavily influenced by your own actions and behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York