Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 06:01 AM

46 posts, read 99,298 times

Advertisements

As someone that grew up in the Finger Lakes area for a few years, I would also echo how Ithaca would be a good fit. Yes, the snow and winter can be rough, but the summer is what they call 'Gorges'

I found the area to be VERY diverse, and accepting of everyone. The houses are old but interesting, there is fun art and culture, and their are always events being done in town.

I used to work at some of the wineries in the area, so keep that in mind if you're up for a short drive.

Good luck, I also plan on moving back to the NE once my tenure with NC is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 08:07 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,611,038 times
Ithaca is right where you'd want to be.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:09 PM

93,912 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Here are some more orchestras: The Orchestra of Northern New York Orchestral Music Instrumental Musicians.

Home | osfl

Catskill Symphony Orchestra

Old 08-09-2013, 12:41 PM

187 posts, read 347,631 times
I like the sound of Ithaca. I think jobs may be easier to come by in Syracuse. Either way, we wouldn't live right IN Syracuse, likely...but outside. How's the area between Syracuse and Ithaca, as far as open mindedness goes? Places such as Auburn, Cortlandville, Geneva, Hamilton...or anywhere in between that I'm missing?

Also, what is the Erie coastal area like in that respect? The area from Dunkirk up to Buffalo? Is there any mountain scenery close to that area? At least close enough for an hours drive?

Is the area around Ithaca mountainous? The falls look "gorges" (lol).

All of the areas, towns, and cities sound nice in one way or another. Lots to think about. We leave for our trip on Aug 23rd.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Forgive me if this seems redundant, I'm half asleep.

As far as culture and politics, you'll definitely feel more at home in or near the southern tier being from the south. It's in the Appalachian foothills and some of that Appy culture does influence the area. It's rural, it's friendly, and it has great local food!
What cities and towns would be near here?

Old 08-09-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Dunkirk might suit you. It's right on Lake Erie, but it's about 40-50 minutes minutes by interstate to either Buffalo or Erie, PA. The college town of Fredonia (Fredonia State) is next door. About 10 miles south of Dunkirk, the hills start, and you're in areas that are much like the hill and valley terrain of East Tennessee. You can easily find a decent house on acreage near Dunkirk for < $150,000.

You might also like Jamestown which is about 30 miles south of Dunkirk. It's a little further out of the way than Dunkirk, and isn't dominated by a big college as Dunkirk/Fredonia is but it does have Jamestown CC and Jamestown Business Institute. It's a little colder in the winter. It's also got lots of hills and is about an hour away from Ellicottville, which is the big time ski area in the Southern Tier, and Peak n Peak, another ski area, is only about a half hour away. Cheap real estate, too.

In fact, the only truly pricey real estate in Chautauqua County is along the Lake Erie and Chautauqua Lake shorelines and in the Chautauqua Institute. Most of the rest of it, whatever you pay here, you'd probably pay twice that or more in other parts of the country. Even the lakeside homes are "cheap" compared to other places which is why so many wealthy people from out-of-state buy here -- despite the constant moan of locals about property taxes.

Most Upstate New Yorkers are pretty tolerant. The conservatives tend towards libertarianism, and the social conservatives don't hold a lot of sway although they sometimes make a lot of noise in the local media in the usual places like talk radio and in the letters to the editor in some local newspapers.

I am re-reading this thread, and was just reminded of this. I apologize if I am repeating myself and asking the same questions over again and again.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKnox View Post
I like the sound of Ithaca. I think jobs may be easier to come by in Syracuse. Either way, we wouldn't live right IN Syracuse, likely...but outside. How's the area between Syracuse and Ithaca, as far as open mindedness goes? Places such as Auburn, Cortlandville, Geneva, Hamilton...or anywhere in between that I'm missing?

Also, what is the Erie coastal area like in that respect? The area from Dunkirk up to Buffalo? Is there any mountain scenery close to that area? At least close enough for an hours drive?

Is the area around Ithaca mountainous? The falls look "gorges" (lol).

All of the areas, towns, and cities sound nice in one way or another. Lots to think about. We leave for our trip on Aug 23rd.
I think the places in between Syracuse and Ithaca should be fine. Tully, Homer, Cortlandville and perhaps Aurora would probably be the best bets in that regard. Homer also has a center for the arts: http://www.center4art.org/

Aurora has Wells College, a formerly all female college that is now co-Ed. It is on Cayuga Lake as well: http://visitaurorany.com/

Village of Aurora

MacKenzie-Childs - HandmadeInAurora

Wells College Home

South of Syracuse is very hilly and is in the Appalachian Plateau. So, expect plenty of hills and valleys.

As for mountains, the Adirondacks, Catskills and the Poconos of PA are within a couple of hours away, give or take. If you want to go to a Great Lake shore, Lake Ontario is about 40-45 minutes away from Syracuse. Ithaca is on Cayuga Lake, which is in the Finger Lakes Region.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
What cities and towns would be near here?
I'm thinking Watkins Glen, Montour Falls, around Corning and Elmira, Owego, etc.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:03 PM

How much rain does the Syracuse and Ithaca areas get? What time of year do you get your rain...fall/winter or spring/summer (not precipitation in the form of snow and ice...but actual rain)?

Besides snow, what kind of severe weather do y'all get?

Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
How much rain does the Syracuse and Ithaca areas get? What time of year do you get your rain...fall/winter or spring/summer (not precipitation in the form of snow and ice...but actual rain)?

Besides snow, what kind of severe weather do y'all get?
Most of the rain is in the Spring and Summer, with a little bit in the Fall.

Besides the occasional snow storm, we have had some flooding occasionally in recent years in certain parts of Upstate NY. Besides that, everything else is pretty rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York