Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 01:02 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,279,442 times

Advertisements

See, bring something the left doesn't like and the open minded thing goes out the window.

In NY the left is just "right". These things cannot be debated because they they know what's best and people who disagree are simply wrong.

In fact that's a good way to put it. In America they have left/right debates. In New York we have left and wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 01:17 PM

93,901 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
See, bring something the left doesn't like and the open minded thing goes out the window.

In NY the left is just "right". These things cannot be debated because they they know what's best and people who disagree are simply wrong.

In fact that's a good way to put it. In America they have left/right debates. In New York we have left and wrong.
I don't know if it is cut and dry, but I think it can go both ways. I don't think that Linda was saying that it is right, but that may be her opinion.

Also, I will say that I have seen signs that are pro-gun. So, I don't think that there aren't people that are pro-gun in NY State.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:39 PM

I mentioned "guns" and she launched a diatribe on 100 round "clips" and the NRA.

I bet 100 innerweb bucks she is the type that knows whats best for everybody about everything and those who dare disagree with feel the full wrath of her "tolerance".

Old 08-29-2013, 04:15 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,223,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
I agree with Linda & Ck.. I live in SW NY, where the general impression/image is that there are no jobs and there is lots of welfare. As Linda pointed, my experience and that of many employers in the area is that there is an incredible lack of willing and/or skilled workers. I happened to be laid off just a few weeks ago and had 3 good jobs offered without much effort, mainly because there is almost no competition here in terms of workers. If you have skills or just plain have a decent work ethic, I don't expect most would have trouble finding employment, though of course if depends on your field.

As far as politics... it's never been a factor where I've located. I've travelled quite a bit and find very little meaningful differences between people throughout the country. With most, the way you are treated, no matter your background/politics/lifestyle, is heavily influenced by your own actions and behavior.
A lot of individuals around here can't qualify for jobs because they can't pass drug tests, or if they do get hired, they later fail a random drug test. Smoking some weed is a lot more important to a lot people around here than getting and keeping a decent job. Others don't get it that "don't drink and drive" applies to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I mentioned "guns" and she launched a diatribe on 100 round "clips" and the NRA.

I bet 100 innerweb bucks she is the type that knows whats best for everybody about everything and those who dare disagree with feel the full wrath of her "tolerance".
You don't know me very well, even from this MB. I usually don't get involved in many controversial issues unless I feel strongly about a topic, and one of those is I don't like the idea of an organization advocating that civilians need to have private arsenals. There's no purpose to it except to bully and intimidate their neighbors and raise hell because they think they can. I'm not talking about somebody having a few shotguns and rifles -- I was raised in the country where everybody has guns and knows how to use them, myself included -- but having more firepower than the local sheriff's department.

I speak from personal experience, not from theory, too.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:03 PM

Your a very typical NYer, as I thought.

I said guns.

Like most in this state you immediately saw camo clad militiamen roaring through the streets of suburban Upstate NY with Ma Deuces mounted in the back of Toyota trucks.

What I was talking about was earlier this year trying to find a simple bolt action .22 for my youngest daughter. Could not find one anywhere. Sorry they all hold 10. To scary in NY.

While Cumo got people all in tears about machine guns and bitter clingers his minions quietly got rid of the lowly bolt action 22.

If your Sheriff's department is being over run by teenage girls with bolt action 22's holding 10 rounds that may be more a matter of your local police being under gunned then the overwhelming firepower of the 22 LR.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:30 PM

93,901 posts, read 124,640,310 times
TexKnox, I will state something that another poster mentioned, dont over think this. If anything, I would concentrate on finding employment.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:24 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,834,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
A lot of individuals around here can't qualify for jobs because they can't pass drug tests, or if they do get hired, they later fail a random drug test. Smoking some weed is a lot more important to a lot people around here than getting and keeping a decent job. Others don't get it that "don't drink and drive" applies to them.

You don't know me very well, even from this MB. I usually don't get involved in many controversial issues unless I feel strongly about a topic, and one of those is I don't like the idea of an organization advocating that civilians need to have private arsenals. There's no purpose to it except to bully and intimidate their neighbors and raise hell because they think they can. I'm not talking about somebody having a few shotguns and rifles -- I was raised in the country where everybody has guns and knows how to use them, myself included -- but having more firepower than the local sheriff's department.

I speak from personal experience, not from theory, too.
So, there is a lot of drug use in Upstate NY? That would concern me.

RE: jobs, I was specifically mentioning jobs for the OP, as their field is not IT. IT seems to be faring well these days everywhere, along with medical and biotech. The OP's field, being very regional (that is, some regions have a lot of this work, and some regions have little to none) means that few jobs are available and the ones that are tend to be inundated with applicants.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 PM

187 posts, read 347,631 times
This went off down an interesting rabbit trail. That's my fault. I like the conversation though. It gives me an idea of the kind of conversations that might be going on between NYers.

So, there's been a recent development in my wife's career. She will be starting back to school this spring to get her BS in Nursing. Se has her MS in Biochem and her BA in Psychology, so she already has many of the classes she needs already taken. She will be going back to the University of Tennessee and it will take her a year to finish her BSN and then she will be getting her RNs license. So, once she finishes that, she will be looking for a job in nursing, which you can find almost anywhere. It will take me longer to find a job than it will her, but I will find one even if it's not in my field, which is Environmental Science. I also have a BA in History, so that's a possibility.

So, I think we will have the jobs handled. That's, of course, priority number one. However, that's just not where a lot of my questions are. My questions revolve more around culture, society, politics, LGBT acceptance, whatnot.

From the sound of it, I don't think we will have a problem up there as far as where open mindedness towards lesbian and gay couples go. Of course, one very important factor is that the state of NY has marriage equality.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:10 PM

Here in East TN I get invited to church, on average, once a week. I get asked if I know Jesus quite often too. To be honest, if I could just walk down the street without being asked if I've heard the good news, I would be happy. Lol!

Just yesterday, I came home from work and a church group was standing on my front porch asking for donations. "Ehhhh. What is it for?" "So we can go to church camp!" They replied.

Oh. No. No. I'm not paying for your indoctrination, thanks. Do you have any starving children? I will gladly give to them.

My wife is catholic, which is a very unpopular denomination here and is highly frowned upon by the Baptist majority. I'm an Atheist...so I'm frowned upon by every majority. Lol!!! XD

Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 PM

Oh...and neither one of us will have any problems with drug testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York