Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 01:27 AM

187 posts, read 347,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Most of the rain is in the Spring and Summer, with a little bit in the Fall.

Besides the occasional snow storm, we have had some flooding occasionally in recent years in certain parts of Upstate NY. Besides that, everything else is pretty rare.
Sounds a lot like TN with the exception of snow. How humid is it there? Not as humid as here, I'm sure.

How are allergies there? Average, below average, above average?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 07:07 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,223,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKnox View Post
Sounds a lot like TN with the exception of snow. How humid is it there? Not as humid as here, I'm sure.

How are allergies there? Average, below average, above average?
Upstate NY is considered "humid" and we tend to have stretches of summer weather where the temps will be in the 80s and the dew points well above 60, so we do get humidity. However, because of all the lakes, from Erie and Ontario to the Finger Lakes, and because of all the hills in much of the state, there's a lot of wind, even in the summer. I would say that most single family homes in Upstate New York do not have central A/C and that most people get by with room air conditioners.

I think that airborne pollen is the biggest contributor to allergies in Upstate. Occasionally, in the summer, we will have ozone alerts. I think last summer the Jamestown/Chautauqua County area had 2 or 3 days in a row of ozone alerts but that was the only time. We've had none this summer. Rarely there will be temperature inversions that trap smog in some valley areas.

As for severe weather, our "regular" severe weather tends to be snowstorms or thunderstorms. We don't get a lot of ice storms or hail, and tornadoes are rarities. Occasionally, the remnants of hurricanes and tropical storms will wander over parts of the Upstate area, bringing very heavy rains and flooding.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 PM

93,894 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Here's another opening: Analytical Chemist - Cortland, NY - Indeed Mobile

Old 08-24-2013, 06:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,032,171 times
Quote:
How much rain does the Syracuse and Ithaca areas get? What time of year do you get your rain...fall/winter or spring/summer (not precipitation in the form of snow and ice...but actual rain)?

Besides snow, what kind of severe weather do y'all get?
Upstate NY of course has conservative people. And yes, there are anti LGBT people. But in the gayest neighborhoods of NYC itself, we have had one gay guy get shot by anti gay person, and we have had others be beaten in recent weeks.

I don't think there's any place you could move to in the country that doesn't have a decent anti gay population. It maybe worse in some areas than others, but keep in mind New Yorkers and Northerners are not necessarily more liberal than Southerners. You have all types of people everywhere.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Upstate NY of course has conservative people. And yes, there are anti LGBT people. But in the gayest neighborhoods of NYC itself, we have had one gay guy get shot by anti gay person, and we have had others be beaten in recent weeks.

I don't think there's any place you could move to in the country that doesn't have a decent anti gay population. It maybe worse in some areas than others, but keep in mind New Yorkers and Northerners are not necessarily more liberal than Southerners. You have all types of people everywhere.
With this said, you should generally be fine, especially in the places mentioned in the thread.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 AM

Has anyone commenting lived in the south? Lol!

Old 08-27-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Has anyone commenting lived in the south? Lol!
Lived in Augusta GA for a little while during time in the military and have taken many trips to the South due to parents being originally from there.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Lived in Augusta GA for a little while during time in the military and have taken many trips to the South due to parents being originally from there.

I figured you had. Your information seems very reasonable. It just feels like some people commenting don't know the full extent of how homophobic many southerners are. I hate to say it, but it's the truth, and the truth is, it's down right frightening to be gay in the south. I'm sure there are some backwards people in the north, but I think you're also contending with a large number of people who would defend someone if they were being gay bashed or mistreated because of their sexual orientation. In the south, most people would turn, walk the other way, and say nothing.

I mean, a state's stance on marriage equality kinda says it all.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:21 PM

I met a couple from Long Island, who moved to Tennessee because they were tired of the politics in NY. I thought they were pretty laid back people until the wife started going on and on and on about how she's natural and all the gays up in NY are unnatural and they actually bully straight people in NY and NJ. Now, I don't know if this is true or not...but she was very adamantly against homosexuality. However, when she finished her rant, she said, I don't care if people are gay, I just don't think they should get tax breaks for it. Se didn't know I was gay, btw. I guess she just assumed that all southerners will let you rant about how much you're offended by homosexuality.

I don't think she'd ever expressed herself openly like that where she was from in NY because she went onnnnnnnn and onnnnnnn and onnnnnnn. Seemed like it had been pent up for awhile. She felt more free to express herself here in the south...and ironically...to someone who is gay who she didn't even know was gay.

So, obviously there are some people up North that feel that way, but she also seemed to be a non violent person...just ranting was all. I don't think she would have ever hurt someone for being gay...but she definitely had a big problem with it. So, obviously there are New Yorkers who aren't so keen on the gay movement. I think she'll enjoy herself a lot more down here, because according to her, everyone flaunts their gayness in your face in NY. Of course, here, most gay individuals are in the closet.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:10 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,563,668 times
Quote:
I met a couple from Long Island, who moved to Tennessee because they were tired of the politics in NY. I thought they were pretty laid back people until the wife started going on and on and on about how she's natural and all the gays up in NY are unnatural and they actually bully straight people in NY and NJ. Now, I don't know if this is true or not...but she was very adamantly against homosexuality. However, when she finished her rant, she said, I don't care if people are gay, I just don't think they should get tax breaks for it. Se didn't know I was gay, btw. I guess she just assumed that all southerners will let you rant about how much you're offended by homosexuality.

I don't think she'd ever expressed herself openly like that where she was from in NY because she went onnnnnnnn and onnnnnnn and onnnnnnn. Seemed like it had been pent up for awhile. She felt more free to express herself here in the south...and ironically...to someone who is gay who she didn't even know was gay.

So, obviously there are some people up North that feel that way, but she also seemed to be a non violent person...just ranting was all. I don't think she would have ever hurt someone for being gay...but she definitely had a big problem with it. So, obviously there are New Yorkers who aren't so keen on the gay movement. I think she'll enjoy herself a lot more down here, because according to her, everyone flaunts their gayness in your face in NY. Of course, here, most gay individuals are in the closet.
There is unfortunately a massive hush-hush culture in the north. A lot of people are pushed by the liberal majority to keep things like religion, bigotry or dislike of gays zipped up. It's an attitude of aggressive political correctness. It's almost the exact opposite of how you can be attacked for being pro-gay in the south.

I know I have been verbally attacked by people up there before for stating a clear pro-gun opinion and sticking to it.

Even if an opinion is wrong or unpopular, people are always entitled to it, and are free to speak it. That's my motto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York