Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 AM

9,329 posts, read 16,697,070 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Saratoga Pride - Home

Saratoga is at the base of the Adirondacks, which offers many outdoor activities. There are several great parks in the area (Saratoga National, Moreau). The outlying towns are rural with acreage (Schuylerville, Quaker Springs, Moreau, Northunderland, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:40 AM

93,912 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio1969 View Post
I worked in pretty rural areas in between Poughkeepsie and Albany, and the people there were pretty conservative.

Im just saying that people can be as conservative and judgemental here as they are in areas of the south. True you cant fit the whole state into a box, but that also means that you can view NY as a Lib state "everywhere".

Its not. Rural NYers can be just as intolerant as the bible belt people of the south.
Its a little too late and again, there are places that fit the criteria up here. I don't think the OP was looking in that part of the state anyway. I believe that there are still some communities that would fit in that area as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-30-2013 at 08:48 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,563,668 times
Quote:
I worked in pretty rural areas in between Poughkeepsie and Albany, and the people there were pretty conservative.

Im just saying that people can be as conservative and judgemental here as they are in areas of the south. True you cant fit the whole state into a box, but that also means that you can view NY as a Lib state "everywhere".

Its not. Rural NYers can be just as intolerant as the bible belt people of the south.
True, however those types are not the majority or even present in the areas the OP is interested in. They tend to keep to themselves in the woods. I know, I'm related to them.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,223,936 times
Quote:

I think that the OP is looking into states where her marriage is recognized. That leaves out most of the South, including Virginia.

I disagree with your assessment of rural New York. I live in a small city in rural NY and have not seen much intolerance aimed at same sex couples, primarily because most conservative New Yorkers in rural areas tend to be libertarian rather than socially conservative. My little city in the heart of Redneck Heaven has had an openly gay president of the city council for more than a decade. According to the Buffalo papers, the newly hired superintendent of the Jamestown public schools is openly gay, but that wasn't even mentioned anywhere in the local news media. It's simply not an issue here.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I think that the OP is looking into states where her marriage is recognized. That leaves out most of the South, including Virginia.

I disagree with your assessment of rural New York. I live in a small city in rural NY and have not seen much intolerance aimed at same sex couples, primarily because most conservative New Yorkers in rural areas tend to be libertarian rather than socially conservative. My little city in the heart of Redneck Heaven has had an openly gay president of the city council for more than a decade. According to the Buffalo papers, the newly hired superintendent of the Jamestown public schools is openly gay, but that wasn't even mentioned anywhere in the local news media. It's simply not an issue here.
Good points and another example is when Plattsburgh in recent years had an openly gay mayor and he was a Republican. So, while it may not be completely perfect, there are examples where it hasn't been an issue.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-30-2013 at 11:06 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 11:37 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,834,514 times
Quote:
Have you thought about some of the more liberal areas, like the college towns of Virginia? Richmond, Waynesboro, Harrisonburg, Lexington and so on.

Lived in Orange / Dutchess county area my whole life and I wouldnt recommend moving to NY to anyone.

To someone from the south, the cost of living here can be suprising.

I have a friend who grew up here in Middletown. He moved to Florida back in the early 90s. After his wife passed away, he needed a change and moved back up to the Northeast..... he's been back for about 4 years and had enough with the cost of livingin the area and is moving back to Florida.
Middletown and most of Orange / Dutchess, although they feel Upstate-like, seem anything but. They're kinda unique areas in that they're almost too far for a commute, but still have North Jersey / Long Island prices in a lot of areas. And LI / NJ taxes too. I think Middletown is like 75 miles from NYC, but still has a NYC influence because the sphere of NYC is so huge.

If you go 75 miles west of Philly, for example, its rural farmland, in fact its around Lancaster, PA which is the polar opposite of Philly. Same thing in Boston and most other cities except maybe LA. NYC is a monster city.

You're not getting this anywhere within a 75 mile radius of NYC:

14666 State Route 90, Summerhill, NY 13045 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

http://goo.gl/maps/n6eAX

Old 07-30-2013, 12:26 PM

137 posts, read 218,972 times
The Port Jervis area might be a exception, but Id say you have to go much further than 75 miles out of NYC for real price drops.

Quote:
I disagree with your assessment of rural New York....... It's simply not an issue here.
A visiting friend from Virginia Beach whos lesbian came up with her GF last year and we went out in the Goshen Orange County area and the looks and comments they received were outright hostile. This wasnt from 1 group of obnoxious people in 1 location, but a few different places we went.

I do work near Saugerties and Hunter Mountain / Coxsackie/Windham area and am mixed. I also spend time in between the Poughkeepsie and Albany areas, and I get "looks" from time to time when Im out in the sticks.

Yea this area is more generally more tolerant(although I find people to be much friendly elsewhere), Im just saying stupidity is everywhere.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:08 PM

187 posts, read 347,631 times
I love Virginia. Especially the Williamsburg area. However, it lacks one very important thing that I'm looking for and the number one reason we are looking to relocate: no state constitutionally recognized marriage equality.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:15 PM

Again TexKnox, I wouldn't worry about it and you have plenty of information from a variety of posters that you can find your niche up here, along with the proper recognition of your relationship here in NY.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-30-2013 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 01:40 PM

187 posts, read 347,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again TexKnox, I wouldn't worry about it and you have plenty of information from a variety of posters that have that you can find your niche here, along with the proper recognition of your relationship here in NY.

All the information is incredibly helpful. We will be visiting in a few weeks and will have a better idea about the areas and what we like.

This is the route we will be taking. Let me know what you guys think we ought to check out while in these areas. I have a map of things we want to see, including the falls around Ithaca, historical sites in Boston and Salem MA, etc...

We are going from Knoxville to Buffalo through Kentucky, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. We are going to see Niagara Falls and Buffalo. Then we are going to drive from Buffalo, through Rochester, to Ithaca to see the area, and then up to Syracuse. Then we will be going from Syracuse, through the Adirondacks, and over to Portland, ME. Then, from Portland we will be driving down to Boston to stay for a few days...and then we will head home.

Do y'all have any ideas of what we should see along the way?

Thanks for all of the helpful info.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York