Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 05:34 AM

93,888 posts, read 124,640,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKnox View Post
Wow! Great links! Thanks, CKH.

Thanks for the info on Buffalo, Linda.

We are going to take a trip up to NYS and Maine at the end of August. We will probably also see Boston. We want to drive up and see Niagara Falls and Buffalo, and then drive across the state and see the Adirondacks. What else should we see in NY? What are the must-see natural wonders across the state? What towns and cities are must-see?

We enjoy the water and hiking. Can y'all recommend the best hikes and swimming spots? Also, can you recommend some good scenic drives to take across the state?

Thanks for all the helpful info!
For a scenic drive, try Routes 20, 5, 3 and 104, among others. You may like a place like Old Forge for hiking and swimming: Old Forge New York in the Adirondacks | McCauley Mountain Ski | Water Park | Cruises | Lodging | Museums | Hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, boating, snowmobiling

There are plenty of parks. So, you may be able to find a place that fits what you want.

As for utilities, water from what I hear is cheaper up here. Gas and electric may be higher here, but it may depend on the time of year, the company and even your home. Niagara Mohawk, NYSEG, Rochester Gas and Electric and NYPA(which serves select areas/communities) are the providers in Upstate NY.

Also, with property taxes, villages tend to be higher, but this isn't always the case. This is generally due to duplicate services. You may also qualify for property tax exemptions and challenge your assessment: Property tax exemptions

Here is a website for NYS Parks: New York State Parks Recreation & Historic Preservation

Here is an example of a county park system: Home » Onondaga County Parks

As for other things to possibly see, perhaps Letchworth State Park, which is referred to as the Grand Canyon of the Northeast, the Finger Lakes, the 1000 Islands and Ithaca, which may remind you of a smaller version of Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 11:25 AM

149 posts, read 304,101 times
I just posted this for someone else - here is a link to property tax info, searchable by county, for NYS. (From 2011)
Data Center: Searchable Databases, Charts, Lists and Informational Tools - syracuse.com

In the city of Ithaca/Ithaca School District (Tompkins County), you're looking at a tax rate around $35/$1000 of property value, so about $3500/year on a 100k house.

We live in Elmira, which is about 45 minutes from Ithaca geographically but often feels light years away culturally! Our home does not have AC, so I can't answer that question....I'd say we use our heater pretty much daily from mid/late-October - March, if not April. We have natural gas heat and hot water, and during the late fall/winter/early spring our utility bill is around $250/month. Subtract about a $100/month in the summer. This includes electric, since NYSEG provides both the natural gas and electric in our area.

I think our water and sewer bills run about $80 quarterly.

As for your tour - I'm trying to envision the best route for what you've mentioned. You'll probably see more on your trip from Boston up to Niagara Falls/Buffalo than going "across the Adirondacks." Keep in mind that the Adirondacks are pretty much all of the northern "hat" (as my cousin used to call it!) of the state. You practically can drive across that part of the state and see nothing BUT the Adirondacks!

That said, ckh mentioned Old Forge, which is lovely. The 1000 Islands would be "on the way" from Buffalo/Syracuse north into the Adirondack Park - I have always loved Boldt Castle. If you are in the northeastern part of Adirondacks, there is always Lake Placid, with Whiteface Mountain, and not too far from Lake Champlain and Vermont! Watkins Glen is also a great (non-Adirondack) place for a hike, as are the many natural rock formations and waterfalls around Ithaca.
Taughannock Falls
Buttermilk Falls

Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 PM

Also, just to add, most people get Basic STAR in terms of tax exemptions. Here is a list of maximum savings by municipality and school district in Tompkins County: School District's Maximum 2013-2014 STAR Savings by Municipality

From the looks of things, it seems like Dryden is the school district that gets the highest maximum savings in regards to Basic STAR in Tompkins County. It may fit what you are looking for given its more small town/rural environment. Here is the list for other counties as well: School District's Maximum 2013-2014 STAR Savings by Municipality or School District

Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 PM

187 posts, read 347,631 times
Hey. That's a good resource there. I found this, as well.

http://www.empirecenter.org/CMS/Docu...20Rankings.pdf

Old 07-23-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKnox View Post
Hey. That's a good resource there. I found this, as well.

http://www.empirecenter.org/CMS/Docu...20Rankings.pdf
Make note of the median home prices, as that also makes the rates higher here and I believe it pre exemptions. I'd say that Upstate NY is similar to parts of Texas in regards to property taxes. This could help too: Property taxes in New York state | Mobile

Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,563,668 times
Forgive me if this seems redundant, I'm half asleep.

As far as culture and politics, you'll definitely feel more at home in or near the southern tier being from the south. It's in the Appalachian foothills and some of that Appy culture does influence the area. It's rural, it's friendly, and it has great local food! It can tend to be more religious and moderate to conservative politically and belief-wise. There are tons of churches in the towns, including baptist if that is your speed.

It's also warmer than the Ontario plains and north country by far. Maine is definitely much colder by weather.

And finally, a fun fact. Especially around Watkins Glen a lot of people from Mississippi and Louisiana have settled there in recent years. So they have been bringing even more southern flavor to the hill country of NY.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Forgive me if this seems redundant, I'm half asleep.

As far as culture and politics, you'll definitely feel more at home in or near the southern tier being from the south. It's in the Appalachian foothills and some of that Appy culture does influence the area. It's rural, it's friendly, and it has great local food! It can tend to be more religious and moderate to conservative politically and belief-wise. There are tons of churches in the towns, including baptist if that is your speed.

It's also warmer than the Ontario plains and north country by far. Maine is definitely much colder by weather.

And finally, a fun fact. Especially around Watkins Glen a lot of people from Mississippi and Louisiana have settled there in recent years. So they have been bringing even more southern flavor to the hill country of NY.
Is this due to Katrina or just a general move?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is this due to Katrina or just a general move?
Some were Katrina evacuees. However, in my visits back north I have met many young people from southern MS in particular who moved there for college and some of them plan to stay.

My brother, who lived in Watkins up until last year, also had co-workers and friends from various parts of the south who moved the the area. Again, a strong trend of Mississippi.

(EDIT) I personally know a couple from Kentucky (we call them Ma and Pa, no joke) who have lived in Prattsburgh and Beaver Dams for a good long time now. I know a pastor from Texas who lives south of Montour Falls. And I know an elderly couple from South Carolina who befriended my grandparents. They live somewhere around Ithaca.

Last edited by CookieSkoon; 07-23-2013 at 08:27 AM..

Old 07-23-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Some were Katrina evacuees. However, in my visits back north I have met many young people from southern MS in particular who moved there for college and some of them plan to stay.

My brother, who lived in Watkins up until last year, also had co-workers and friends from various parts of the south who moved the the area. Again, a strong trend of Mississippi.

(EDIT) I personally know a couple from Kentucky (we call them Ma and Pa, no joke) who have lived in Prattsburgh and Beaver Dams for a good long time now. I know a pastor from Texas who lives south of Montour Falls. And I know an elderly couple from South Carolina who befriended my grandparents. They live somewhere around Ithaca.
Interesting and this doesn't count those that moved to cities like Elmira, Corning and Ithaca during the Great Migration too.

With this said TexKnox, I think small towns in Tompkins County would be a good fit.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting and this doesn't count those that moved to cities like Elmira, Corning and Ithaca during the Great Migration too.

With this said TexKnox, I think small towns in Tompkins County would be a good fit.
(A little off topic) I find it fascinating how many southerners New York and Ohio draw as compared to any other northern state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York