Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:32 PM

187 posts, read 347,631 times

Advertisements

I didn't think Long Island and Suffolk County sounded anywhere near my cup of tea.

So, from what I am reading, the Ithaca, Albany, Syracuse triangle sound like a good fit. I was looking at Buffalo, but I'm not sure about it. Is it as economically depressed as what I am reading on the internet about it says it is?

As far as beauty goes, what towns/areas do y'all think are the most beautiful? What I like so much about East Tennessee are its old graveyards on hillsides, beautiful trees, fall colors, mountains and hills, etc...

I wish that East TN had more old architecture, but the Civil War, the economy, and dumb politicians have taken their toll on historical preservation. What old architecture we do have is very nice though.

I definitely need to be close to outdoor activities. I am ten minutes from the Smoky Mountains here. From what I have seen, NYS seems to have a lot of state and national preserves, parks, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 02:49 PM

93,888 posts, read 124,640,310 times
You may be interested in this website too: Biotech and Pharmaceutical Company Jobs in the State of New York

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-18-2013 at 02:58 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 03:00 PM

I do have another question that I am curious about. I meet quite a few people from NY and NJ who have moved down to TN. Most of the ones I meet seem pretty conservative. A lot have moved to FL and then to TN. Is there a reason that so many New Yorkers, specifically, are moving down to TN. Maybe it just seems like a lot of people to me. It likely pales in comparison to the people who haven't left NY.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:01 PM

Thanks for all of the helpful job resources, CKH. There seems to be a LOT more job opportunity for us up there than there is around here.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:37 PM

Can someone also give me an idea about property taxes in NY?

Old 07-18-2013, 05:29 PM

93,888 posts, read 124,640,310 times
As for homes, this should help: RealtyUSA - Realty USA Upstate New York Real Estate

Old 07-18-2013, 08:03 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,223,936 times
Property taxes in NYS tend to be higher than in many other states, but that can be offset in some cases by lower sales taxes and fees. For example, food for home consumption and drugs are exempt from sales tax. NYS doesn't have a personal property tax, which could save you big $$$ if you own newer vehicles or have a camper or a boat, etc compared to some other states.

I use realtor.com to get an idea of prices and property taxes. You can enter a city or a zip and in the advance search it gives adjoining towns or within selected mileage ranges. Almost all listings have maps and most have property taxes listed.

I would not be put off Buffalo because of negative stuff you read on the internet about the job market. Buffalo and its metro as well as the surrounding counties have lots of job openings, especially in the technical fields. Many embittered WNY expats have only high school degrees and want blue/pink collar work or they are recent grads with "soft skills" and little job experience. Buffalo is transitioning from heavy industry blue collar to technology, medical, and scientific, and many people who have worked in factories and/or thought that they'd get factory jobs are left out in the cold. The problem of recent college grads with degrees but few useful employment skills is a nation-wide problem, not just in Buffalo or New York. Meanwhile there are plenty of technical job openings in the area.

FYI: Buffalo is filled with an amazing amount of simply wonderful architecture from the Victorian era through the 1920s. Even if you don't decide to settle here, you should visit the city to see its glorious architecture.

Just another note: For some reason, forums about New York, and especially Buffalo, seem to attract more trolls than forums about other places.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:12 AM

Wow! Great links! Thanks, CKH.

Thanks for the info on Buffalo, Linda.

We are going to take a trip up to NYS and Maine at the end of August. We will probably also see Boston. We want to drive up and see Niagara Falls and Buffalo, and then drive across the state and see the Adirondacks. What else should we see in NY? What are the must-see natural wonders across the state? What towns and cities are must-see?

We enjoy the water and hiking. Can y'all recommend the best hikes and swimming spots? Also, can you recommend some good scenic drives to take across the state?

Thanks for all the helpful info!

Old 07-19-2013, 12:32 AM

Also, can y'all give me some examples of your utility costs such as gas, water, and electric? How many days out of the year would you say you run your AC? How many days out of the year would you say you need to run your heater?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York