Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:08 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,834,514 times

Advertisements

To the OP:

I'm not recommending that you look into the Bos-Wash corridor. I'm not sure why comparisons can't ever be made without a certain someone always coming to the "aid" of NYS to try and interject their version of the truth. I'm not playing their word twisting game though. I said initially that Upstate isn't overflowing with jobs, and its not. That can't possibly be true.

Of course you can determine that yourself by making your own judgments about which posters share both the positives and the negatives, and which posters are in endless debates on here propping up blatantly misleading premises, backed up by endless Google searches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 12:12 PM

93,912 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKnox View Post
I can work in a broad range of ES careers. My concentration is in fish and wildlife management though, so that's where I'm aiming.
You could possibly look here: Scheduled Examinations Open Competitive Examinations » Department of Civil Service

Or even at the county level: Civil Service - New York State Department of Labor

Also, TexKnox, if this information does nothing for YOU, then YOU can tell us to stop.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:18 PM

639 posts, read 1,125,967 times
I would advise to avoid indeed or similar search engines when looking for jobs. More than often employers will post job openings because they're legally required to, but then have someone else already set up for the job (either someone already within the company or relative/friend of an employee). From what I've seen it's better to take civil service exams or continue to apply for the same companies directly.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
I would advise to avoid indeed or similar search engines when looking for jobs. More than often employers will post job openings because they're legally required to, but then have someone else already set up for the job (either someone already within the company or relative/friend of an employee). From what I've seen it's better to take civil service exams or continue to apply for the same companies directly.
Thanks for the warning.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:27 PM

Those two jobs that were posted in two different cities that are 100 miles from each other, is an example of what some posters feel is an overflow of jobs in the state. Trust me, many more would have been posted if there were many more. I kinda have my finger on the pulse of my own industry, but regardless, there are tons of jobs in Upstate NY in your field according to the fanboy club.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:32 PM

639 posts, read 1,125,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Thanks for the warning.
Unfortunately this is the case, not just Upstate NY but all over the country. Networking is the key. Practically everyone I know who has gotten a good job obtained it because they have a relative or friend who works for the company/organization or stated off as an intern during school. Rarely got it from skills alone unless the company was doing a massive hiring for one or similar positions.

The OP could perhaps ask her previous employer if they have any connections with the Upstate NY area. Otherwise I'd stick to the civil service exams and continuously apply to the same companies, which will show them you're very interested in working there.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Those two jobs that were posted in two different cities that are 100 miles from each other, is an example of what some posters feel is an overflow of jobs in the state. Trust me, many more would have been posted if there were many more. I kinda have my finger on the pulse of my own industry, but regardless, there are tons of jobs in Upstate NY in your field according to the fanboy club.
I never said that and what is your problem, anyway? I see how it is and nice that you make this about something else.

ThinkingElsewhere, good point and I suppose that it is a matter of the OP looking at openings where that would be less likely, such as nursing.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-30-2013 at 01:44 PM..

Old 08-30-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I never said that and what is your problem, anyway? I see how it is and nice that you make this about something else.

ThinkingElsewhere, you may be right and I suppose that it is a matter of the OP looking at openings where that would be less likely, such as nursing.
I'm sick and tired of you seeking out anywhere that I post on this forum and purposefully twisting my words and disagreeing with me, just for the sake of disagreement. I'm giving the OP the truth about there not being many jobs here, and perhaps I know what I speak since were in the same industry.

You just have to come on here and make it seem like I'm comparing Upstate negatively to the Bos-Wash corridor when I was only stating a fact. That's your game- the Upstate vs. everywhere else game. You scour this entire forum and reprimand anyone that says anything negative about Upstate even if some things are true. Give it a rest.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I'm sick and tired of you seeking out anywhere that I post on this forum and purposefully twisting my words and disagreeing with me, just for the sake of disagreement. I'm giving the OP the truth about there not being many jobs here, and perhaps I know what I speak since were in the same industry.

You just have to come on here and make it seem like I'm comparing Upstate negatively to the Bos-Wash corridor when I was only stating a fact. That's your game- the Upstate vs. everywhere else game. You scour this entire forum and reprimand anyone that says anything negative about Upstate even if some things are true. Give it a rest.
First off all, I'm going to apologize to you TexKnox now, because it is going where it shouldn't. Second, I didn't twist any words. All I said was that no one is comparing Upstate NY with any place in terms of jobs or anything and that I wasn't sure if the Bos-Wash corridor was on the OP's radar. Third, I'm not your parent, nor do I care what you post, but this a free forum where I and others can post wherever they want to. I don't have time to care what others think, but if I think that there is information that people may not know about that I may come across, I post it. I've never denied the problems in Upstate NY, which every state has some issues, nor have I "reprimanded" anyone. So, perhaps stop taking things so personal, as it is not that serious.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
First off all, I'm going to apologize to you TexKnox now, because it is going where it shouldn't. Second, I didn't twist any words. All I said was that no one is comparing Upstate NY with any place in terms of jobs or anything and that I wasn't sure if the Bos-Wash corridor was on the OP's radar. Third, I'm not your parent, nor do I care what you post, but this a free forum where I and others can post wherever they want to. I don't have time to care what others think, but if I think that there is information that people may not know about that I may come across, I post it. I've never denied the problems in Upstate NY, which every state has some issues, nor have I "reprimanded" anyone. So, perhaps stop taking things so personal, as it is not that serious.
I was comparing them. What is so hard to understand about that? This is what you are well known for doing on this forum- twisting peoples words to make it seem like they're denigrating Upstate by comparing it with someplace else. Unfortunately, its posters like you that make people question whether or not to move upstate. From you recommending apartments that literally get a 5% approval rating (5%!!!) to telling people there are lots of jobs Upstate in a field you know nothing about, and then post a grand total of 2 jobs that are 100 miles apart, you make people question your motives at every turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York