Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:25 PM

187 posts, read 347,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

Like most in this state you immediately saw camo clad militiamen roaring through the streets of suburban Upstate NY with Ma Deuces mounted in the back of Toyota trucks.

You wouldn't believe how accurately you just described the locals here. LOL!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 01:57 AM

93,623 posts, read 124,375,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
So, there is a lot of drug use in Upstate NY? That would concern me.

RE: jobs, I was specifically mentioning jobs for the OP, as their field is not IT. IT seems to be faring well these days everywhere, along with medical and biotech. The OP's field, being very regional (that is, some regions have a lot of this work, and some regions have little to none) means that few jobs are available and the ones that are tend to be inundated with applicants.
I wouldn't say that illegal drug use is any higher here than anywhere else.

As for jobs, like I mentioned, they are out there and I posted quite a few. So, there is some evidence of opportunities being available up here.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:05 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,215,370 times
Quote:
So, there is a lot of drug use in Upstate NY? That would concern me.

RE: jobs, I was specifically mentioning jobs for the OP, as their field is not IT. IT seems to be faring well these days everywhere, along with medical and biotech. The OP's field, being very regional (that is, some regions have a lot of this work, and some regions have little to none) means that few jobs are available and the ones that are tend to be inundated with applicants.
"A lot of drug use"? I'd say no more than most places and less than some others, but a lot of the whining about lack of jobs in Upstate NY comes from unskilled blue collar people who don't think the rules apply to them, and that including being able to pass pre-employment drug screening.

My point about the IT jobs is that technical jobs even in this area area going begging for applicants. We expected to be flooded with applicants, and we ended up having to close the original searches and reopen them with different requirements in order to get a reasonable field of applicants. That might also be true of other technical fields.

I'm not sure what the OP's job experience is, but I don't see why you think Upstate NY would necessarily be lacking in those jobs. Environmental scientists/techs can find work in the numerous government agencies and firms involved in watershed protection, erosion control, waste management, air quality monitoring, etc.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,276,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKnox View Post
You wouldn't believe how accurately you just described the locals here. LOL!!!!!!!
Someday, when I think your ready, ill try and explain Oceola NY to you.

You will never think of the South as backwards ever again after you've seen Oceloa. It's a pretty place though. I was there for a wedding last weekend. Good people but I guess getting 300 inches of snow dumped on ya has an effect.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 AM

639 posts, read 1,125,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
"A lot of drug use"? I'd say no more than most places and less than some others, but a lot of the whining about lack of jobs in Upstate NY comes from unskilled blue collar people who don't think the rules apply to them, and that including being able to pass pre-employment drug screening.

My point about the IT jobs is that technical jobs even in this area area going begging for applicants. We expected to be flooded with applicants, and we ended up having to close the original searches and reopen them with different requirements in order to get a reasonable field of applicants. That might also be true of other technical fields.

I'm not sure what the OP's job experience is, but I don't see why you think Upstate NY would necessarily be lacking in those jobs. Environmental scientists/techs can find work in the numerous government agencies and firms involved in watershed protection, erosion control, waste management, air quality monitoring, etc.
Or they're in a field where the jobs opportunities are located in specific cities/regions. I knew someone who resided in Binghamton and claimed she couldn't find work with her political science bachelors. The best she could do was having a cashier position at Wegman's, yet this probably wouldn't be the case if she relocated to DC.

To the OP, there seems to be opportunities in the environmental science field in Upstate NY from what I've seen. In the Albany area, there is GE and Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory which has hired environmental scientists. You can also take civil service exams for the DEC. Although someone who is in the environmental science field can probably chime in more about this.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,830,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wouldn't say that illegal drug use is any higher here than anywhere else.

As for jobs, like I mentioned, they are out there and I posted quite a few. So, there is some evidence of opportunities being available up here.
Ok. I wasn't sure about the drug use, I figured the same, but I was surprised by Linda's comments.

I wonder if the OP has been successful in getting interviews for any positions in NY. Clearly, there are some, but a much limited number compared to the Bos-Wash area, which is far more polluted and industrial. For example, Philadelphia area has pages of jobs compared to 3-4 at any given time in most of the Upstate cities.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,830,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Or they're in a field where the jobs opportunities are located in specific cities/regions. I knew someone who resided in Binghamton and claimed she couldn't find work with her political science bachelors. The best she could do was having a cashier position at Wegman's, yet this probably wouldn't be the case if she relocated to DC.

To the OP, there seems to be opportunities in the environmental science field in Upstate NY from what I've seen. In the Albany area, there is GE and Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory which has hired environmental scientists. You can also take civil service exams for the DEC. Although someone who is in the environmental science field can probably chime in more about this.
Current DEC vacancies:

Listing of Job Vacancies - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Old 08-30-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Ok. I wasn't sure about the drug use, I figured the same, but I was surprised by Linda's comments.

I wonder if the OP has been successful in getting interviews for any positions in NY. Clearly, there are some, but a much limited number compared to the Bos-Wash area, which is far more polluted and industrial. For example, Philadelphia area has pages of jobs compared to 3-4 at any given time in most of the Upstate cities.
I don't think anyone compared Upstate NY to the Bos-Wash corridor. I'm not even sure that the Bos-Wash corridor was even on the OP's radar or that people were making a comparison at all. Like I said, there have been many jobs posted and it appears that with the OP's partner/spouse getting a nursing degree, it just expands their employment prospects even more.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:23 AM

GIS Scientist - Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

Laboratory Technician - Rochester, NY 14608 - Indeed Mobile

Old 08-30-2013, 11:28 AM

187 posts, read 347,451 times
I can work in a broad range of ES careers. My concentration is in fish and wildlife management though, so that's where I'm aiming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York