Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 02:43 PM

93,521 posts, read 124,263,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I was comparing them. What is so hard to understand about that? This is what you are well known for doing on this forum- twisting peoples words to make it seem like they're denigrating Upstate by comparing it with someplace else. Unfortunately, its posters like you that make people question whether or not to move upstate. From you recommending apartments that literally get a 5% approval rating (5%!!!) to telling people there are lots of jobs Upstate in a field you know nothing about, and then post a grand total of 2 jobs that are 100 miles apart, you make people question your motives at every turn.
I'm sorry, but it sounds like you are twisting words and flip-flopping. I never mentioned that there were a lot of jobs, but said that there openings posted. This is a pretty long thread and perhaps you should start from the beginning.

Again, I stated that I don't believe that the Bos-Wash corridor, which you initially brought up, was on the OP's radar. Meaning, that I don't think it was going to be relevant to the thread considering that the OP already stated, if I'm not mistaken, that it wasn't for her and her partner.

Also, what is this about an apartment with a 5% rating? Like I mentioned, I post information, but the poster is going to make the ultimate decision.

Lastly, I've done the same thing for you that I've done for the OP. So, I don't get this animosity about what I posted. It sounds similar to superleggera on the Rochester forum. When you want some info on anything, I or others will be glad to help, but there is no reason to hijack this thread and cause drama by assuming why people post the way they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 09:01 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,828,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm sorry, but it sounds like you are twisting words and flip-flopping. I never mentioned that there were a lot of jobs, but said that there openings posted. This is a pretty long thread and perhaps you should start from the beginning.

Again, I stated that I don't believe that the Bos-Wash corridor, which you initially brought up, was on the OP's radar. Meaning, that I don't think it was going to be relevant to the thread considering that the OP already stated, if I'm not mistaken, that it wasn't for her and her partner.

Also, what is this about an apartment with a 5% rating? Like I mentioned, I post information, but the poster is going to make the ultimate decision.

Lastly, I've done the same thing for you that I've done for the OP. So, I don't get this animosity about what I posted. It sounds similar to superleggera on the Rochester forum. When you want some info on anything, I or others will be glad to help, but there is no reason to hijack this thread and cause drama by assuming why people post the way they do.
I'm not sure who superleggera is, but there always seems to be a lot of drama on the Rochester forum.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:01 PM

187 posts, read 347,318 times
Wow.

So...anyhow...like I said...I also have my BA in History. Dare I ask if there are any jobs in that field in upstate NY?

The easiest way to simplify this is to tell you that we won't be moving anywhere unless at least one of us finds a job first. So, it won't be a dyer situation if we don't find jobs because we won't be relocating first. Once we find jobs we will move.

If there aren't jobs for us in upstate NY, I guess that won't be the place for us.

I appreciate all of the info and time put into this thread from everyone involved.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:19 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,828,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKnox View Post
Wow.

So...anyhow...like I said...I also have my BA in History. Dare I ask if there are any jobs in that field in upstate NY?

The easiest way to simplify this is to tell you that we won't be moving anywhere unless at least one of us finds a job first. So, it won't be a dyer situation if we don't find jobs because we won't be relocating first. Once we find jobs we will move.

If there aren't jobs for us in upstate NY, I guess that won't be the place for us.

I appreciate all of the info and time put into this thread from everyone involved.
For the record, the point I was trying to illustrate was that the jobs may be limited in Upstate NY in your field. Of course its not impossible to get one, but in comparison to more populated, industrial and polluted areas (such as the Boston to DC corridor), you're looking at a few open jobs vs pages of open jobs. Of course, there may also be less competition for those jobs. So don't give up.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Wow.

You could possibly use your History degree to get employment at a university or perhaps a historical museum/society. If you are interested in Ithaca or places in between Syracuse and Ithaca, you could check with these historical centers: Welcome to The History Center

Onondaga Historical Association

HOME

Or perhaps these places nearby too: Seward House Historic Museum

Harriet Tubman Home, Inc. | Home

Showcasing Great Women... - National Womens Hall of Fame

National Abolition Hall of Fame and Museum Peterboro NY, Abolitionist Movement Peterboro NY, Abolition of Slavery Peterboro NY,Anti Slavery Movement Peterboro NY

You could also look at civil service openings/exams as well.

This thread may help: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-openings.html

If you want employment at a college, these websites should help: Locate Colleges | NY Colleges

suny.edu - Employment Opportunities

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-31-2013 at 07:05 AM..

Old 08-31-2013, 07:10 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,209,134 times
Quote:
I can work in a broad range of ES careers. My concentration is in fish and wildlife management though, so that's where I'm aiming.
DEC would probably be your best bet for fish and wildlife management. There are also a number of opportunities at various colleges, such as at my alma mater, Buffalo State College: Great Lakes Center. There are also organizations like the Audobon Society that maintain centers around Upstate NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
I would advise to avoid indeed or similar search engines when looking for jobs. More than often employers will post job openings because they're legally required to, but then have someone else already set up for the job (either someone already within the company or relative/friend of an employee). From what I've seen it's better to take civil service exams or continue to apply for the same companies directly.
That's true of any public job advertisement, though. I wouldn't make search engines my primary focus, but I wouldn't ignore the openings that are posted there, either.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:08 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,209,134 times
TexKnox: You might be interested in this upcoming NYS exam: ENCON Officer Trainee

Old 05-19-2015, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,057 times
Default Sorry to bump an old thread, but...

I'm pipe-dreaming over a house that's up for sale in New Berlin, NY. It would be used only as a summer home for my family, if we were to actually buy it. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some info on the area? The only things I've found are city-run websites and the usual statistics (race makeup, median income, etc.). I'm curious about things like crime, climate, and accessibility.

The house uses oil for heating. Is that similar to natural gas, in that it's piped into the home, or is it something that's added to furnaces manually by the owner (sorry if this is a dumb question -- most houses here in Alabama are gas- or electrically-heated).

If we only use the house in the summer, and turn off the water when we're not there, will that be enough to ensure the pipes are safe? Again, I apologize for my ignorance, but we rarely get below zero here, and six inches of snow is a rarity.

Like I said, this is most likely a pipe-dream. I saw the town on TV and it looked like a Charles Wysocki painting (the footage was shot in autumn), and off I went on a tangent. I'm just hoping someone can help me suss out a little more info that isn't just statistics or something from the town Jaycees.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-19-2015, 05:32 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,947,366 times
If oil heat, you would have deliveries of oil to your house by truck, and it would be priced according to market value at the time it's purchased. You can sign a contract at a set price, or take your chances on per-delivery charges. For a summer home, this most likely would more involve heating your hot water (unless electric), the cost being negligible.

If you are planning on turning off your water during cold winter months, it really should be done as a "winterizing" job, and involves more than just shutting off the valves. I'd advise a plumber come into the house, drain all pipes, let air through the system, and run anti-freeze through; otherwise, you risk the chance of frozen disaster.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrkfstClub72 View Post
I'm pipe-dreaming over a house that's up for sale in New Berlin, NY. It would be used only as a summer home for my family, if we were to actually buy it. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some info on the area? The only things I've found are city-run websites and the usual statistics (race makeup, median income, etc.). I'm curious about things like crime, climate, and accessibility.

The house uses oil for heating. Is that similar to natural gas, in that it's piped into the home, or is it something that's added to furnaces manually by the owner (sorry if this is a dumb question -- most houses here in Alabama are gas- or electrically-heated).

If we only use the house in the summer, and turn off the water when we're not there, will that be enough to ensure the pipes are safe? Again, I apologize for my ignorance, but we rarely get below zero here, and six inches of snow is a rarity.

Like I said, this is most likely a pipe-dream. I saw the town on TV and it looked like a Charles Wysocki painting (the footage was shot in autumn), and off I went on a tangent. I'm just hoping someone can help me suss out a little more info that isn't just statistics or something from the town Jaycees.

Thanks in advance!
I'm assuming that the crime rate is pretty low.

As for climate, they don't get as much snow as areas of Upstate NY that gets Lake Effect. However, since this would be a summer home, expect temps to get no higher than 90.

As for access, Norwich is the closest "city", with Oneonta, Utica and Binghamton being the other cities nearby. Utica and Binghamton will offer more than the other 2 cities. Cooperstown isn't too far away and for an even bigger area, Syracuse and Albany-Schenectady-Troy are reasonable options.

Check online newspapers from these areas to get more information. Here are the websites for the Norwich and Oneonta newspapers: The Evening Sun | Reader & Reporter Blogs

The Daily Star: Your source for local news since 1890

New Berlin is home to a Chobani yogurt plant and Preferred Mutual Insurance Company.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-19-2015 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York