Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 01:53 PM

93,269 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKnox View Post
All the information is incredibly helpful. We will be visiting in a few weeks and will have a better idea about the areas and what we like.

This is the route we will be taking. Let me know what you guys think we ought to check out while in these areas. I have a map of things we want to see, including the falls around Ithaca, historical sites in Boston and Salem MA, etc...

We are going from Knoxville to Buffalo through Kentucky, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. We are going to see Niagara Falls and Buffalo. Then we are going to drive from Buffalo, through Rochester, to Ithaca to see the area, and then up to Syracuse. Then we will be going from Syracuse, through the Adirondacks, and over to Portland, ME. Then, from Portland we will be driving down to Boston to stay for a few days...and then we will head home.

Do y'all have any ideas of what we should see along the way?

Thanks for all of the helpful info.

Sounds good. If you are taking I-90 heading back, you may want to stop in the Albany area, if you want to. Same with the Amherst/Northampton area of MA as well. Of course this will depend on the amount of time that you have.

If you are going through the Adirondacks, you could take Route 3: New York State Route 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 01:58 PM

137 posts, read 218,408 times
Boston = seafood.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:31 PM

187 posts, read 347,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio1969 View Post
Boston = seafood.
Exactly.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:35 PM

We are considering not going to Portland and spending more time in Massachusetts...but we don't know yet.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:46 PM

Another thing about up here is that each area has a unique specialty. For instance, besides Buffalo Wings, the Buffalo area has Beef on Weck. In Rochester, there's the Garbage Plate. In Syracuse, there's Salt Potatoes. Utica has East Utica Greens, Chicken Riggies and it is given credit for where Half Moon(aka Black and White) Cookies started in the US. Binghamton has Spiedies. You also have certain brands of certain foods that are regional. So, this trip may allow you to try foods you've probably have never heard of.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:44 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
I would seriously recommend the Mass Turnpike rather than Rte 2 (I think it is) across southern Vermont and NH from NY to Boston/Maine. It's a scenic drive, but if you get behind a truck, it will labor up the hills and take a looonnng time. Been there, done that.

It's about 3 or 4 hours from Albany to Boston depending upon traffic. Your best bet is to book a hotel outside of Boston and take the T into the city. You can grab a sight-seeing trolley down at the harbor by the aquarium and Fanueil Hall to take you around to most of the other sights.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Another thing about up here is that each area has a unique specialty. For instance, besides Buffalo Wings, the Buffalo area has Beef on Weck. In Rochester, there's the Garbage Plate. In Syracuse, there's Salt Potatoes. Utica has East Utica Greens, Chicken Riggies and it is given credit for where Half Moon(aka Black and White) Cookies started in the US. Binghamton has Spiedies. You also have certain brands of certain foods that are regional. So, this trip may allow you to try foods you've probably have never heard of.

I understood Buffalo wings, beef on weck, and half moon cookies. Outside of that, I've never heard of anything else you said. Lol! East Utica greens, as in "greens' greens? The vinegary veggies like in the south? What are the other dishes you listed?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I understood Buffalo wings, beef on weck, and half moon cookies. Outside of that, I've never heard of anything else you said. Lol! East Utica greens, as in "greens' greens? The vinegary veggies like in the south? What are the other dishes you listed?
Sorry about that. Here is some information that can explain it better than I could: Salt potatoes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spiedie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What says Upstate cuisine more than Utica Greens and Chicken Riggies? (with video & recipes) | syracuse.com

Garbage Plates - Rochester Wiki

Old 07-30-2013, 04:40 PM

Oh boy. I'm not sure about the garbage plate. Lol! 8/

Old 07-30-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Oh boy. I'm not sure about the garbage plate. Lol! 8/
You can add or take anything you want to. So, it is more flexible in terms of how you make it.

You also have your regional food brands. Hot Dogs, Sausage, and Specialty Meat Products | Zweigle's | Rochester NY

Hofmann Hot Dogs

Premium Quality Meat Products - Sahlen's

G & L Meats > Home

Heluva Good® | Home

Bison Foods

Among others and you have some regional restaurants and stores as well.

Also, culturally you will notice a Native American presence in parts of Upstate NY. So, that may be of interest to you.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-30-2013 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York