Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 PM

23 posts, read 32,643 times

Advertisements

I have been reading some threads and am hearing mixed reviews. Honestly, some are freaking me out, but a lot of these threads are outdated (2007ish). I go to NYU and will be hypothetically commuting from a safe building. The train is conveniently located across the street (the building is on GC), so I wouldn't be venturing down these "notorious" streets like 194th, Valentine Ave., etc. Should I just look elsewhere? I live in Bushwick now and am complete comfortable in neighborhood, so I guess I am okay with slight dicey. I understand crime can happen anywhere, but I honestly do not feel like getting mugged for my laptop coming back from school late at night when I could've just lived elsewhere. Is it hype?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 09:46 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,101,974 times
The Grand Concourse is a very,very long street that goes through many,many different neighborhoods of many different varieties.It sort of depends on where on The GC you are talking about.There are parts of The Grand Concourse that anyone could live on and parts that most people would prefer not to.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 PM

@BlueDog, I have read your posts and you appear to be very knowledgable on the Bronx! I would really appreciate your advice. Like I said above, the building is on GC at Kingsbridge Ave. Right next to the Edgar Allen Poe cottage, with this eerie 194th street behind it.

It looks fine on googlemaps, but I surely cannot rely on that. Though I will be checking the place out, I would really appreciate info on the area during the day AND late at night.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 PM

I have a buddy who lives 6 blocks up from there but I read that the neighborhood improves after Kingsbridge. He says it's nothing to worry about but he's a native New Yorker- I am not!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 PM

Well,first of all ,if you don't mind Bushwick you shouldn't mind a lot of The Bronx because much of it is much nicer than Bushwick.Can't actually recommend Kingsbridge/ concourse though.It's not the worst but there are so many better areas of The Bx.The GC is much nicer even just a few blocks further North around Bedford Park and Mosholu Parkway.It's better down by Yankee Stadium and the court house too.

How did you find that particular neighborhood?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 PM

@BlueDog
I didn't. I was just looking for something in the $900 range for a studio, and that's where the closest one to the train (actually on my block, 2 buildings down) is. I am not looking for a picturesque place to live. That would be nice, but impossible I feel with that budget. I need to be out of my apartment in 8 days. I just want to be safe- assuming one is not talking on my iPhone and doing other illogical things.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,073,764 times
So bro guy help this lady out.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,063,105 times
I think the kingsbridge/Grand Concourse is arguably one of the worst parts of the GC. All you have to is see how close it is to one of the worst, drug ridden corridors in the city, E 194th street. Look further up. Take it from me. I hang out in both morris and kingsbridge and E 195th and decatur and know how hardcore these blocks are.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmymarc View Post
@BlueDog
I didn't. I was just looking for something in the $900 range for a studio, and that's where the closest one to the train (actually on my block, 2 buildings down) is. I am not looking for a picturesque place to live. That would be nice, but impossible I feel with that budget. I need to be out of my apartment in 8 days. I just want to be safe- assuming one is not talking on my iPhone and doing other illogical things.
You should be able to easily find a studio for 900/mo in Bedford Park/Mosholu or in Norwood around the 205th st stop of the D train.Those neighborhoods also have a number of college students in them because of proximity to Fordham and Lehman.And I still see a few ads for studios for 900/mo around Pelham Parkway and Morris Park, though it will be a bit harder.Also over around Westchester Sq and Pelham Bay along the 6 train.

Rents in The Bronx don't seem to vary that much by neighborhood.If you look hard enough you can find either a great apartment in a nice neighborhood or a total crap hole in a deep ghetto neighborhood or a crap hole in a nice neighborhood or a decent apartment in a ghetto neighborhood , all for around the same price.It's weird.Might be because there seems to be a floor in NYC rental prices and The Bronx is the floor.

You might want to DM hilltopjay.He is a CD poster who owns a couple of buildings in Norwood and might have vacant apartments.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-13-2013 at 04:40 AM..

Old 03-13-2013, 05:33 AM

@Bronxguyanese
I am acquainted enough with city data not to fall for that, lol.

@BlueDog @Supermario
This is all very helpful. I guess I will pass on that showing today. Damn for being so convenient to the train! Those side areas were exactly my concern. I have a friend who lives around the corner from the potential building I'd be looking at, and he says its no concern at all. I have another friend a few block sup whose sister is saying don't do it. I'd rather be safe than sorry, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City