Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
True but Bedford Park has St James Park, Poe Park, And a Bronx Park (+Botanical Gardens/Bronx Zoo) nearby.

St James and Poe Parks used to be awful but I believe Poe was recently renovated and St James is in progress.
Much better than Kingsbridge Road. Only a few block difference, but definitely better north of KB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmymarc View Post
From my understanding, Poe Park's proximity to 194th street makes it a hang out spot for seedy characters. I know you said 161st but I see lots of listings for 165th-170th. I thought that area was bad as well? I believe someone described the upper 190s and 160s as "pick your poison."
Definitely below 167, better below 165 Street.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
What was wrong when you lived on Sherman/Sheridan ?
What wasn't wrong? lol Loud music, drug dealing, drug addicts/winos, parties all night, people that did not work yet got up at 2 or 3 PM and made noise until dawn. In the summer I sometimes had stretches of 2-3 days where I'd get only a few hours of sleep. I lived in the bottom floor on Sherman, but a 5th floor in the back of a building on Sheridan. On Sheridan my downstairs neighbor would smoke weed, which would come up into my apartment, blast music all night, argue with her boyfriend until 4 AM, and have people over everyday. Another one two floors away would start blasting Merengue and Bachata at 1 AM on a weeknight and was perplexed at why anybody would complain. People playing basketball outside all night. A small parking lot where people spoke loudly and "pre- and post-gamed." The breaking point was when a family had a party in one of the first floor apartments (again, I was in the side/back on the fifth floor) across the street from my building. I got home around 11 PM. By 8 AM, it was just dispersing. I kid you not, my entire apartment shook. They had a sound system. I called 311, 44th precinct, and even 911 after loads of people started arriving. NADA. It was so bad I literally started crying at about 5 AM from the noise and my entire place shaking because of having had dealt with that for years. That morning I called the management of my building and told them I was leaving. Two weeks later I moved.

Don't believe the hype. Except for Grand Concourse proper and a few building along Walton, there are no hipsters or yuppies. What you do have is generations of people on welfare and Section 8who do not work, single women who do work but let their drug dealer and thug boyfriends, sons, and nephews uses their homes as a party lounge or stash house. People who **** in elevators, who throw garbage out windows (I never told you guys about the night they through the 1980s era TV out the window at almost midnight...), sell drugs out of their apartments, and blast music and sit on people's cars and stoops of buildings they don't even live in.

You can take it; I don't want it. There are decent people, but even they get tired and leave after a while. No hardworking, decent person is going to deal with that day in and day out for years.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmymarc View Post
Sha, moving in the winter is unfortunate because of this reason.. it's difficult to assess what the neighborhood will fully be like until it is warmer. Granted, moving in the summer= more expensive.

Stripper, not prostitute . Drugged up? Yes.

In conclusion, I am moving to Bensonhurst on Monday. Feel free to continue the discussion regardless. Who knows? I may find myself in the Bronx because of cheap rents and proximity.
Good call. I have some friends there. I will say, however, the Bronx is not bad but you do need to check out where you are moving before you sign a lease. Not so much safety as quality of life, I would not like to see a single responsible female have to deal with the ridiculous bull**** that goes on on that Kingsbridge/194 Street corridor. Why deal with it if you have a choice?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:01 PM

33 posts, read 81,825 times
you probably got a place by now. But just in case someone is in a similar position as you are and is lurking CD for information. I would suggest, as bluedog2 said, the Grand Concourse above Bedford Park. you may be able to find a one bedroom and\or studio for that price of 900. Also you may be able to find large studios in Pelham Parkway. You could take the 12 bus to the D train down into Manhattan(or the "city" as most people put it). The D express is really fast into Manhattan. Its a safe area, close to pharmacies,supermarkets, the zoo, parks. My friend actually got a 2 bedroom for just about 1000 near Thwaites pl.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,691,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Ohmymarc, I grew up right off the Concourse North of Bedford Park. I would strongly suggest 2 parts of the Concourse. Firstly, If your not going to hang in the area. I would look at between 158-163 on the N/B side of the Blvd. Some of the buildings from 800 Grand Concourse to the 1100's have 24 hr doormen. I would suggest you use 161th street as your main transportation corridor. A lots of security between Conc. and River ave. Especially during Yankee season. Also supermarket ,post office,banks,pharmacy and a couple bars all right there. The second part would be between Bedford Park and Van Cortlandt ave. You just have to pick the right building. I would suggest you use Bedford Park as your train spot. A lot of the buildings North of Bedford went coop during the 80's boom. So these buildings never bottomed out like there renters counterparts. If you see a building post the address and I'll give you an opinion. Good Luck.
Bump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City