Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM

770 posts, read 1,133,280 times

Advertisements

Safety is key. Sorry that did not work out. 30 years ago that area was very nice and safe. Its very sad that good folks like you are still impacted by disasterous social and economic policies brought about by the Great Society.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,399,110 times
While you believe the social and economic changes during that time were "disastrous", the alternate was much worse: status quo. Because really, what makes a society stronger than ensuring it is criminal and punishable by imprisonment for a black and white to marry? Better yet, nothing says "strong economy" like banning women from IVY League schools. And who can forget that no economy can move forward unless you violently beat those colored folks, homsexuals, or anyone different from you, for daring to walk in "your neighborhood." Boy I wish we lived back in the good 'ole days when those colored folks and women knew their place....life was so much better then, neighborhoods were perfect and safe, and life was good!

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:44 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,047,754 times
If you lived in Bushwick you will do just fine on any stretch of the Grand Concourse.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,695,435 times
Sobro, Why are you hijacking the thread into some sort of racist or political rant? Listen sorry but the area did change for the worse. Take a walk down 204th street across the street from mcDonalds. You will see a kid Hugh harley murdered for the great sum of............. 1 dollar! There was countless crimes towards middle class folks by the mutts that changed that area forever.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:20 PM

That mural on the wall across the street from McDonald's? Really that's from like '89 or '90. Do you still live in Norwood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Sobro, Why are you hijacking the thread into some sort of racist or political rant? Listen sorry but the area did change for the worse. Take a walk down 204th street across the street from mcDonalds. You will see a kid Hugh harley murdered for the great sum of............. 1 dollar! There was countless crimes towards middle class folks by the mutts that changed that area forever.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:25 PM

Jasper, No I left the area in 95. Still have family in the area.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:37 PM

Ok. Well I grew up in that area...went to JHS 80 in the 80s. It went both ways..the
"mutts" weren't the only ones up to no good. There was a lot of racial tension and fights between the various ethnic groups.

I wouldn't recommend living so far up only because that's a long ride to West 4th from 205th street.

Quote:
Jasper, No I left the area in 95. Still have family in the area.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM

JHS80, home of Laverne from Laverne and Shirley. There has been racial tension all over NYC for forever. There is also a big difference between jhs kids fighting and someone being mugged or murdered.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:12 PM

23 posts, read 32,660 times
I wish I had gotten all these responses before I flaked on the realtor today! I will try to respond as best as I can... just a disclaimer, I am new to the city as a resident but have spent lots of time in New York. Of course, living here, especially on GC, is extremely different. That being said, I have street smarts and am okay with a seedy area (I live in Bushwick), but I don't want to play with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I really don't know if the area (GC and Kingsbridge) is much different from Bushwick in terms of crime today. Bushwick is changing much faster though, so I'm sure it will become safer as more-low income people are pushed to other areas.

I would not worry about safety during the day, but if one works late on a regular basis, I wouldn't do it (I know you've already made your decision - just my 2 cents). There are definately quality of life issues, but again, I imagine not much different from Bushwick.

Mosholu area is much nicer though, and only one subway stop up (Bedford Park Blvd.). What's that 3 minutes? I'd also suggest looking around there.
Not sure on the accuracy of the stats, or dates behind them, but from practical experience Bushwick is very quiet. That's what scared me when I first moved to the neighborhood- the fact that someone could come out around a corner and there wouldn't be a witness! I feel like Bushwick is mainly working class families (though there is a good mix of government assistance, too). Quality of life issues? I feel like I have no issues in Bushwick at all. It's really my roommate situation- if I could stay, I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You should just walk around neighborhoods in the Bronx when you have some free time. That really is the best gage to see how an area is and if your comfortable.
With 1 week to move out of my apartment, midterms week, and going home for spring break, I don't have time to wander around these areas. Apartment hunting is time-consuming in itself, accompanied with finals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't think anyone can recommend a neighborhood until you indicate your requirements, or whatever it is you are seeking. I can tell you that over the last 12 months I received 3 different tenants from Bushwick, and both see the neighborhood (Mott Haven and Longwood areas) as a significant step-up.
Requirements: $950 or less (with heat and hot water), 10 minutes to a ACE, 4/5, or BD trains. Studio. Somewhere I can come home late from the library and not worry about my laptop inside my backpack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I do see the changes in Bushwick but honestly these changes really only started to take off about a year ago... The process is still galaxies behind the hype... From the hype coming from idiotic shows like Witches of Bushwick or Girls (which actually both take place in East Williamsburg, you'd imagine Bushwick to be a further extension of North williamsburg by now...

Btw, @ the OP if you don't mind me asking, what part of Bushwick do you live in? Passing by the Jefferson stop recently was a serious surprise on two fronts... On one front, seeing the changes from Cypress to Irving just in the last five years has been really dramatic... Keeping it 100%, those pioneers that moved into that area early to mid 2000s had some serious gumption cause that part of Bushwick along with dark side was no joke...

On the flipside, it's pretty crazy to me how once you pass irving and begin heading into knickerbocker, the neighborhoods demographics is pretty much the same... They have this hipster spot on troutman between irving and knickerbocker and it's insane how isolated that spot seems in terms of the block... I'm pretty familiar with the majority of the residents on that block and I'd say other than one renovated 6 family apartment building that's filled with hipsters, the rest of the block has pretty much remained the same and similar situation goes for the neighboring blocks like starr, willoughby, jefferson, etc.
I live off Putnam, between Irving and Knickerbocker. Not a bad neighborhood, but not great either. Just tolerable. Neighbors are kind, though. I have not really explored past Knickerbocker due to its position on the BK safely map posed on CD (red zone). I would stay if my roommate wasn't a stripper, bringing back guys to the apartment, and constantly doing drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The only parts of the GC that might be a bit safer but also comfortable for you might be along Moshulu Parkway were the GC ends, some nice buildings that look like German town exist in that area. Another part is by the civic center/ Yankee stadium area by 157st going up to 167st, in that area has plenty of law enforcement presence from NYPD, Correctional, to MTAPD, to NYS court officers patrol that vicinity, so you should feel safe walking home at all hours. Also plenty of conveniences from express subway trains, a few restaurants, bars in that area around the civic center except that there is no gym in the area. North of 167 going to as far 183rd even going as far as bedfore avenue, those parts of GC may not be comfortable for out of town white woman like yourself, you will be cat called constantly. As for Bushwick, last week I met a woman in Fort Green Brooklyn at some bar, she told me she is in the process of moving to Mott Haven and she currently lives in East Williamsburg which is technically Bushwick. Are out of control realty prices really batsh!t crazy in Bushwick?
I am latino- should've disclosed that. That's why I feel comfortable in Bushwick. Bushwick is still extremely cheap. My rent is $574, but it's not worth it to deal with my crazy roommate (see above). However, I could get much more space in the Bronx for my money. Those streets are really helpful- thanks.

Quote:
Ohmymarc, I grew up right off the Concourse North of Bedford Park. I would strongly suggest 2 parts of the Concourse. Firstly, If your not going to hang in the area. I would look at between 158-163 on the N/B side of the Blvd. Some of the buildings from 800 Grand Concourse to the 1100's have 24 hr doormen. I would suggest you use 161th street as your main transportation corridor. A lots of security between Conc. and River ave. Especially during Yankee season. Also supermarket ,post office,banks,pharmacy and a couple bars all right there. The second part would be between Bedford Park and Van Cortlandt ave. You just have to pick the right building. I would suggest you use Bedford Park as your train spot. A lot of the buildings North of Bedford went coop during the 80's boom. So these buildings never bottomed out like there renters counterparts. If you see a building post the address and I'll give you an opinion. Good Luck.
N/B side? Sorry, not familiar with the Bronx, obviously. As for Bedford Park/Van Cortlandt, what is the issue with the buildings? Bad conditions or bad tenants?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:19 PM

23 posts, read 32,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
If you lived in Bushwick you will do just fine on any stretch of the Grand Concourse.
Have you been in Bushwick lately? Whenever I tell my classmates I live there I get 2 replies. Either a look of horror and applause for my "bravery", or simple acknowledgment from people that are actually familiar with the area. There are lots of kids loitering in my building but all are nice, greet me, and know me by name. There aren't people on street corners at ANY time of day or night. By 9:30, the place is virtually desolate and people are all in their homes. This is what concerns me about GC, if people are considering Bushwick to be "hood", it's really not that bad....... However, terms like "open air drug markets" when describing GC are enough to make me run in the opposite direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City