Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 05:09 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
NY,Any other Bronx neighborhoods for a girl living alone?

Hence the other areas listed. BTW if I was going to live on the Concourse. My vote would be near 161th street. Much closer to the city and all the amenities along 161th street.
Depends on the individual. Some people are thick skinned and can deal with any neighborhood. These people care more about transportation, cost, and local amenities then violent crime rates. I tire of people writing off neighborhoods on this forum. No justice.

I agree, E 161st is closer to the core. However, Fordham Road is richer in amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 05:09 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,953,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
You come up with the constant 'brown is beautiful and all is right with the bronx' while discounting what many polsters say about life in the Bronx from the 1950s to now. If you don't agree with them, you paint them either as stupid, misinformed, prejudical, revisionist, or other. Great way to encourage honest dialogue. Simply, the Bronx was better then in what ever metric you want to talk about. It WAS NOT PERFECT, but the quality of life for the majority of residents was much better.
This is why I don't like it when my tax $$$ goes to keep OLD ****S LIKE YOU ALIVE. Seriously why won't that stupid generation just die already.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:27 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,691,041 times
qjbusmaster, Your a disgrace. One day you will be a older person. Tom Brokaw wrote a great book called the Greatest Generation. Should read it.

NYKiddo, Why move further up the Blvd if you can get the same amenities closer to NYU?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:34 PM

Well amenities within walking distance. Fordham Rd offers more then 161.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:48 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,691,041 times
Yeah more stores. But 161 has a really nice outdoor park now.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Yeah more stores. But 161 has a really nice outdoor park now.
True but Bedford Park has St James Park, Poe Park, And a Bronx Park (+Botanical Gardens/Bronx Zoo) nearby.

St James and Poe Parks used to be awful but I believe Poe was recently renovated and St James is in progress.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 PM

23 posts, read 32,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
True but Bedford Park has St James Park, Poe Park, And a Bronx Park (+Botanical Gardens/Bronx Zoo) nearby.

St James and Poe Parks used to be awful but I believe Poe was recently renovated and St James is in progress.
From my understanding, Poe Park's proximity to 194th street makes it a hang out spot for seedy characters. I know you said 161st but I see lots of listings for 165th-170th. I thought that area was bad as well? I believe someone described the upper 190s and 160s as "pick your poison."

Old 03-14-2013, 09:32 PM

912 posts, read 2,100,378 times
Sounds grim

Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmymarc View Post
From my understanding, Poe Park's proximity to 194th street makes it a hang out spot for seedy characters. I know you said 161st but I see lots of listings for 165th-170th. I thought that area was bad as well? I believe someone described the upper 190s and 160s as "pick your poison."
To be honest, you'll find seedy looking people all over NYC. It's true there are some shady people in Poe Park, but I bet I can find you shady looking people in Times Square, Union Sq, even Central Park.

It also depends on what you define as seedy. Some people label anyone wearing Hip Hop clothing seedy.

It all depends on your tolerance. What you feel comfortable with. There are a lot of different kinds of people living up and down the Grand Concourse. There are artist, teachers, police officers, janitors, cashiers, clerks, secretaries, plumbers, mechanics, students, people of all types. These are ordinary people.

In your case I would walk around the neighborhood during the day to get a feel for it. Grab some lunch, check out where the laundromat is, bodega, cheap shops. If you feel okay, I don't see the problem. If you grew accustom to Bushwick, the GC will seem similar in some ways (generally lower income, mostly Latino).

The Grand Concourse neighborhoods are those neighborhoods on the verge of "discovery". Only a matter of time.

Oh and generally the Grand Concourse is seen as best between Franz Siegal Park and East 165th or north of Bedford Park Blvd. Personally I think it really varies. The 170s/180s are generally seen as the most "scary" areas but some decent buildings too. The neighborhood is so dense one building can be a completely different experience from the next, even on the same street.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 03-14-2013 at 10:07 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmymarc View Post
I have been reading some threads and am hearing mixed reviews. Honestly, some are freaking me out, but a lot of these threads are outdated (2007ish). I go to NYU and will be hypothetically commuting from a safe building. The train is conveniently located across the street (the building is on GC), so I wouldn't be venturing down these "notorious" streets like 194th, Valentine Ave., etc. Should I just look elsewhere? I live in Bushwick now and am complete comfortable in neighborhood, so I guess I am okay with slight dicey. I understand crime can happen anywhere, but I honestly do not feel like getting mugged for my laptop coming back from school late at night when I could've just lived elsewhere. Is it hype?
It depends where on the Grand Concourse. If you live in Bushwick, I would say that this should not be much of an issue for you. However, it would be wise to look to improve your location when you move by relocating to an area that is safer than Bushwick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City