Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,064,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmymarc View Post
Have you been in Bushwick lately? Whenever I tell my classmates I live there I get 2 replies. Either a look of horror and applause for my "bravery", or simple acknowledgment from people that are actually familiar with the area. There are lots of kids loitering in my building but all are nice, greet me, and know me by name. There aren't people on street corners at ANY time of day or night. By 9:30, the place is virtually desolate and people are all in their homes. This is what concerns me about GC, if people are considering Bushwick to be "hood", it's really not that bad....... However, terms like "open air drug markets" when describing GC are enough to make me run in the opposite direction.
To clarify, the grand concourse itself is not an open air drug market, this applies to certain strips and intersections (e 194th , Valentine, briggs etc). It's 100 times better than what it was but 60%of the 52nd precincts crime occurs in that sector, a precinct which includes university heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 AM

770 posts, read 1,132,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Sobro, Why are you hijacking the thread into some sort of racist or political rant? Listen sorry but the area did change for the worse. Take a walk down 204th street across the street from mcDonalds. You will see a kid Hugh harley murdered for the great sum of............. 1 dollar! There was countless crimes towards middle class folks by the mutts that changed that area forever.

Norwood Boy,

Mr. Sobro is a bit of a race baiter and unfortunately he equates the good old days as articulated with accuracy by you, me, others as fantasy. Many times in my posts I have stated quite clearly that it was not paradise, not perfect, not like Father KNows Best, but he automatically pulls out the Liberal talking points and colors it as 'rose colored', or as a racial issue, not a behavior one.

He is however, right on the filthy pimps who are the Bronx's politicans.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:37 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,392,963 times
If you note, I am not the one that brought up "disastrouse economic and social policies brought about by the Great Society", YOU DID. I am just countering your usual race baiting.

We get it..you hate the browns and blacks because they "ruined your lily white perfect neighborhoods and utopian society." Do you need to remind us about your revisionist, nonexistent history of the Bronx everytime someone brings up a thread about the Bronx?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 AM

770 posts, read 1,132,717 times
You come up with the constant 'brown is beautiful and all is right with the bronx' while discounting what many polsters say about life in the Bronx from the 1950s to now. If you don't agree with them, you paint them either as stupid, misinformed, prejudical, revisionist, or other. Great way to encourage honest dialogue. Simply, the Bronx was better then in what ever metric you want to talk about. It WAS NOT PERFECT, but the quality of life for the majority of residents was much better.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,693,796 times
Supermario is correct. Monsignor Jenic of Our Lady of Refuge has and still hold rallies at drug infested corners down there. Briggs,Valentine and decatur between 194-198 streets.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,392,963 times
WebsterAve....the Bronx was not simply better, the world was different, not necessarily better. You can keep your childhood rose colored glasses on for as long as you like, but it doesn't change the reality of actual history. No matter how many times your parents tell you how wonderful life was in the 50s, it doesn't make it true.

If you believe "under whatever metric the Bronx was better", you have absolutely lost your mind. I will remove your glasses for a moment: It was a crime for a black and white person to marry. Women were banned from IVY league schools. Homosexuals, well they "didn't exist" back then. But let's not talk about that "insignificant stuff." Ok, put the glasses back on now and go back to sleep.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 PM

23 posts, read 32,648 times
Well now that you're done, back to the actual topic on this thread...

Any other Bronx neighborhoods for a girl living alone? Yankee stadium area seems to have no availability and my buddy told me the policing is mainly during yankee season. I don't need people in uniform to make me feel safe, though.

Also @SuperMario
The building was located on GC at Kingsbridge Ave, adjacent to 194. Don't know how overlap is in those areas... I figured the concourse would be safe as it's busier. I'd rather not find out!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 PM

Ohmymarc, Try Pelham Bay, Woodlawn,Pelham Pkwy, Morris Park, Throggs Neck, Riverdale are all very nice areas. http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs045pct.pdf http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs049pct.pdfhttp://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs050pct.pdf[url], You can look at the latest crime stats of the area. Also a lot of times the crime is more prevalent in one part of the pct. Good Luck.

Last edited by Norwood Boy; 03-14-2013 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-14-2013, 04:40 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,171,986 times
People here are such pu$$ies.

Your a single girl who's lived in the city a bit, I'm sure you can take care of yourself. That area has it's problems, but like Bushwick, unless you plan on selling crack or getting involved with the welfare whores you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Even the notorious E 194th St is nothing in comparison to it's past. BTW, at that time like now most of the violent crime stemmed from the drug trade. Being in college I'm sure you don't really give a ***** of drugs are sold in your hood.

I would worry more about the condition of the building. Transportation is great from that area. Plenty of amenities too, don't expect high end but the basics (Fordham Rd, Kingsbridge Rd, parks, big mall in Marble Hill)

Also:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...concourse.html

Old 03-14-2013, 04:57 PM

NY,Any other Bronx neighborhoods for a girl living alone?

Hence the other areas listed. BTW if I was going to live on the Concourse. My vote would be near 161th street. Much closer to the city and all the amenities along 161th street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City