Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 11:03 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmymarc View Post
I have a buddy who lives 6 blocks up from there but I read that the neighborhood improves after Kingsbridge. He says it's nothing to worry about but he's a native New Yorker- I am not!
I will say, Kingsbridge Road connects directly to the 194 Street corridor, which is a hotbed for drugs and criinal activity. In fact, this area east of the Concourse is known as Sector George by the NYPD and is the most dangerous section of the 52nd Precinct: Sector George: The Most Dangerous Neighborhood in the Precinct : Norwood News

Now, you did not specify your race or ethnicity. If you are a White female who is obviously not from New York, you will definitely stand out and possibly make yourself a target. I am an almost 5'9", 200 lb. Irish female and have lived in the South Bronx, and I would not want to live in that area, personally. Not to mention, it can get very noisy from traffic, as well as people hanging around outside, and music blasting from apartments and cars, and worsened dramatically in the summer.

I am not trying to scare you with this information, but you need to know this so that you can make an informed decision. It is still winter, so bear in mind that things will change as soon as it gets warm enough for people to want to go outside. A very quiet, seemingly innocent block can became loud and hellish with music blasting and people making noise all night come Memorial Day,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
I will say, Kingsbridge Road connects directly to the 194 Street corridor, which is a hotbed for drugs and criinal activity. In fact, this area east of the Concourse is known as Sector George by the NYPD and is the most dangerous section of the 52nd Precinct: Sector George: The Most Dangerous Neighborhood in the Precinct : Norwood News

Now, you did not specify your race or ethnicity. If you are a White female who is obviously not from New York, you will definitely stand out and possibly make yourself a target. I am an almost 5'9", 200 lb. Irish female and have lived in the South Bronx, and I would not want to live in that area, personally. Not to mention, it can get very noisy from traffic, as well as people hanging around outside, and music blasting from apartments and cars, and worsened dramatically in the summer.

I am not trying to scare you with this information, but you need to know this so that you can make an informed decision. It is still winter, so bear in mind that things will change as soon as it gets warm enough for people to want to go outside. A very quiet, seemingly innocent block can became loud and hellish with music blasting and people making noise all night come Memorial Day,
She said before she was latina but not from this city and living with a drugged up prostitute as a Roommate in a somewhat sketchy part of Bushwick... I think she's used to the feeling that the concourse may or may not provide...

Old 03-15-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
NY,Any other Bronx neighborhoods for a girl living alone?

Hence the other areas listed. BTW if I was going to live on the Concourse. My vote would be near 161th street. Much closer to the city and all the amenities along 161th street.
But you'd have to be right on the Concourse, not on a side street. The west side of the Concourse is a bit better. I lived on Sherman , then Sheridan between 163/164, and moved back to Bedford Park a few years ago. I am not sure if you could pay me any sum of money to go back.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
She said before she was latina but not from this city and living with a drugged up prostitute as a Roommate in a somewhat sketchy part of Bushwick... I think she's used to the feeling that the concourse may or may not provide...
I just read this now. I guess maybe the Concourse might be a step up in many aspects. Though, just because you are Latina does not mean they you are going to necessarily be safer. If you are not from this area, people tend to pick up on that. I can usually tell who is and is not from NY by their body language.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:55 PM

23 posts, read 32,638 times
Quote:

Sha, moving in the winter is unfortunate because of this reason.. it's difficult to assess what the neighborhood will fully be like until it is warmer. Granted, moving in the summer= more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Stripper, not prostitute . Drugged up? Yes.

In conclusion, I am moving to Bensonhurst on Monday. Feel free to continue the discussion regardless. Who knows? I may find myself in the Bronx because of cheap rents and proximity.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:00 AM

579 posts, read 946,078 times
I can't believe anyone would think that a latina would be uncomfortable on the Grand Concourse near E Kingsbridge Road. Please. You people need to get a grip. That area is fine.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 AM

573 posts, read 1,463,025 times
Quote:
But you'd have to be right on the Concourse, not on a side street. The west side of the Concourse is a bit better. I lived on Sherman , then Sheridan between 163/164, and moved back to Bedford Park a few years ago. I am not sure if you could pay me any sum of money to go back.
What was wrong when you lived on Sherman/Sheridan ?

Old 03-17-2013, 12:28 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,054,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I can't believe anyone would think that a latina would be uncomfortable on the Grand Concourse near E Kingsbridge Road. Please. You people need to get a grip. That area is fine.
The area is fine? Sure, if you like seeing drug dealers posted up all the time. The other day I was on E 195th and decatur and on a cold night, real late, I had to walk through a group of drug dealers just to get into the store. This open drug dealing is something you don't see much of anymore, it takes a real bad hood, with an entrenched drug culture to still have such blatant drug dealing.

The funny thing is that alot of you people assume that since it's so close to Bedford park, it can't be that bad. Or the other group thinking that since it's north of fordham, it automatically can't be as bad as anything below it.

Nobody would be saying it's not so bad, had we been talking the E 180's in South Fordham.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:31 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The area is fine? Sure, if you like seeing drug dealers posted up all the time. The other day I was on E 195th and decatur and on a cold night, real late, I had to walk through a group of drug dealers just to get into the store. This open drug dealing is something you don't see much of anymore, it takes a real bad hood, with an entrenched drug culture to still have such blatant drug dealing.

The funny thing is that alot of you people assume that since it's so close to Bedford park, it can't be that bad. Or the other group thinking that since it's north of fordham, it automatically can't be as bad as anything below it.

Nobody would be saying it's not so bad, had we been talking the E 180's in South Fordham.
i hate that type of situation. I used to live on Audubon in the Heights and i always had goons hanging out in front of buildings. Even as a dude i didn't like the situation.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
If you like drugs, loud music, and garbage, yeah, it's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City