Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 05:48 AM

23 posts, read 32,640 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend some cross streets to stay within? Please note I'm not looking for a neighborhood to raise a family in, like Riverdale. Something 45 minutes or less to NYU and a safe commute is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 06:42 AM

142 posts, read 516,784 times
I live across Poe Park on Kingsbridge Rd and it's probably a few blocks from where OP asked about. This section is called section G, based on precinct 52. It's the highest crime section of 52 according to the Norwood News data report.
This section is mentioned as area from Fordham road up between Grand Concord and Webster Ave so I live in this section but luckily, my building is on the main road and is one of the better kept buildings. I wouldn't want to venture into sidestreets at night.

I live in this neighborhood for over 10 years and have no problem. The area is much better now than before but it doesn't say much. Rent is cheap. 1BR in my building goes for 1100.

That said, I'm moving to Queens in a couple of months to raise a family.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:53 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,385,093 times
If you are comfortable with Bushwick, you will find most of the Bronx a step-up (or so I hear). If you are stuck on the GC, I would recommend either around the Yankee Stadium area (around 165th to 160th) where you have the new Metro-North station, 4/D express trains and lots of amenities + strong bar scene during baseball season, or way up towards Moshulu (which IMO is too far from the city).

You should have no trouble finding a $900 studio in the area.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 AM

23 posts, read 32,640 times
@SobroGuy
Thanks a lot! Not stuck on GC. Other neighborhood recommendations are great as well.

@Baraider
I ditched the showing... too many negative things about this block. Thanks as well. Any other areas I should definitely stay away from? Keep in mind I live alone.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,635,085 times
I really don't know if the area (GC and Kingsbridge) is much different from Bushwick in terms of crime today. Bushwick is changing much faster though, so I'm sure it will become safer as more-low income people are pushed to other areas.

I would not worry about safety during the day, but if one works late on a regular basis, I wouldn't do it (I know you've already made your decision - just my 2 cents). There are definately quality of life issues, but again, I imagine not much different from Bushwick.

Mosholu area is much nicer though, and only one subway stop up (Bedford Park Blvd.). What's that 3 minutes? I'd also suggest looking around there.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:00 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,244,335 times
You should just walk around neighborhoods in the Bronx when you have some free time. That really is the best gage to see how an area is and if your comfortable.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,385,093 times
I don't think anyone can recommend a neighborhood until you indicate your requirements, or whatever it is you are seeking. I can tell you that over the last 12 months I received 3 different tenants from Bushwick, and both see the neighborhood (Mott Haven and Longwood areas) as a significant step-up.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,811,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I really don't know if the area (GC and Kingsbridge) is much different from Bushwick in terms of crime today. Bushwick is changing much faster though, so I'm sure it will become safer as more-low income people are pushed to other areas.

I would not worry about safety during the day, but if one works late on a regular basis, I wouldn't do it (I know you've already made your decision - just my 2 cents). There are definately quality of life issues, but again, I imagine not much different from Bushwick.

Mosholu area is much nicer though, and only one subway stop up (Bedford Park Blvd.). What's that 3 minutes? I'd also suggest looking around there.
I do see the changes in Bushwick but honestly these changes really only started to take off about a year ago... The process is still galaxies behind the hype... From the hype coming from idiotic shows like Witches of Bushwick or Girls (which actually both take place in East Williamsburg, you'd imagine Bushwick to be a further extension of North williamsburg by now...

Btw, @ the OP if you don't mind me asking, what part of Bushwick do you live in? Passing by the Jefferson stop recently was a serious surprise on two fronts... On one front, seeing the changes from Cypress to Irving just in the last five years has been really dramatic... Keeping it 100%, those pioneers that moved into that area early to mid 2000s had some serious gumption cause that part of Bushwick along with dark side was no joke...

On the flipside, it's pretty crazy to me how once you pass irving and begin heading into knickerbocker, the neighborhoods demographics is pretty much the same... They have this hipster spot on troutman between irving and knickerbocker and it's insane how isolated that spot seems in terms of the block... I'm pretty familiar with the majority of the residents on that block and I'd say other than one renovated 6 family apartment building that's filled with hipsters, the rest of the block has pretty much remained the same and similar situation goes for the neighboring blocks like starr, willoughby, jefferson, etc.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:12 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,061,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmymarc View Post
I have been reading some threads and am hearing mixed reviews. Honestly, some are freaking me out, but a lot of these threads are outdated (2007ish). I go to NYU and will be hypothetically commuting from a safe building. The train is conveniently located across the street (the building is on GC), so I wouldn't be venturing down these "notorious" streets like 194th, Valentine Ave., etc. Should I just look elsewhere? I live in Bushwick now and am complete comfortable in neighborhood, so I guess I am okay with slight dicey. I understand crime can happen anywhere, but I honestly do not feel like getting mugged for my laptop coming back from school late at night when I could've just lived elsewhere. Is it hype?
The only parts of the GC that might be a bit safer but also comfortable for you might be along Moshulu Parkway were the GC ends, some nice buildings that look like German town exist in that area. Another part is by the civic center/ Yankee stadium area by 157st going up to 167st, in that area has plenty of law enforcement presence from NYPD, Correctional, to MTAPD, to NYS court officers patrol that vicinity, so you should feel safe walking home at all hours. Also plenty of conveniences from express subway trains, a few restaurants, bars in that area around the civic center except that there is no gym in the area. North of 167 going to as far 183rd even going as far as bedfore avenue, those parts of GC may not be comfortable for out of town white woman like yourself, you will be cat called constantly. As for Bushwick, last week I met a woman in Fort Green Brooklyn at some bar, she told me she is in the process of moving to Mott Haven and she currently lives in East Williamsburg which is technically Bushwick. Are out of control realty prices really batsh!t crazy in Bushwick?

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-13-2013 at 09:26 AM..

Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,691,383 times
Ohmymarc, I grew up right off the Concourse North of Bedford Park. I would strongly suggest 2 parts of the Concourse. Firstly, If your not going to hang in the area. I would look at between 158-163 on the N/B side of the Blvd. Some of the buildings from 800 Grand Concourse to the 1100's have 24 hr doormen. I would suggest you use 161th street as your main transportation corridor. A lots of security between Conc. and River ave. Especially during Yankee season. Also supermarket ,post office,banks,pharmacy and a couple bars all right there. The second part would be between Bedford Park and Van Cortlandt ave. You just have to pick the right building. I would suggest you use Bedford Park as your train spot. A lot of the buildings North of Bedford went coop during the 80's boom. So these buildings never bottomed out like there renters counterparts. If you see a building post the address and I'll give you an opinion. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City