Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 19,984 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Upper Manhattan for about 12 years, most recently Washington Heights (8 Years). I'm looking to move and was considering apartments in the Grand Concourse area between 167th and 149th. I understand that it is far from a perfect neighborhood, but with the new Gateway Center, Yankee Stadium, the fixing up of the Grand Concourse, and the new Bronx Museum, things seem to be looking up. I've been walking around the area since November - I like it - there seem to be some similarities to Wash. Heights. The trains are perfect for my necessary commute to midtown Manhattan. I have been keeping an eye on all of your posts and have found it helpful.
I'm not sure what to call that area. It falls between so many areas but it does seem to have its own character - Morissiana? Concourse? Highbridge? "the Stadium Area"? Mott Haven?
Any feedback on safety, thoughts about the new things that are happening, and your reactions to a "white guy" moving to the area, would be appreciated.

P.S. There have been plans submitted for the creation of a new train line
from the stadium down through Brooklyn. I know that the 2nd ave subway has been in the works for decades, but this is much easier to do because it will be using mostly preexisting tracks.
Years from happening I'm sure but still an exciting idea.
[url]http://transit.frumin.net/trx/data/kml/trx_lines.kml[/url]

Thanks!

Last edited by n8tive new yorker; 03-13-2008 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 01:11 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,054,429 times
149th and GC is Mott Haven.

Passed 149th until about 161st is Melrose.

161st to 167th is called "Concourse".

You acknowledge that these are bad neighborhoods, so I will spare you the lecture. The buildings on the Councourse are really elegant and nice. But graffiti really makes them look unappealing. The Concourse, IMO, is not as bad as some of the side blocks near it.

As for being a white guy in the neighborhood, you will definitely stand out. Most of the people are Black, Puerto Rican and Dominican. I would be uncomfortable as a white guy just because white people are rare there. So some trouble makers may look to stir up some trouble and harass you. But that's just my opinion.

Go to the area and get a feel for it. That's all I can tell you.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the reply,
Are there streets or areas in that vicinity that are particularly bad. Any places that are crime/drug central?

Here is a better link to the subway proposal I was talking about:
[url=http://transit.frumin.net/trx/TriboroRX]TriboroRX - TriboroRX[/url]

Old 03-13-2008, 04:25 PM

473 posts, read 1,671,022 times
native ,move there and you will be fine. As long as you don't drop your head and act like you're scared, no one will say/do anything to you. You might get an occasional comment however, how you carry yourself goes a long way to determine how you will be treated. If I walk around like I'm scared, someone will say something to me as well.

Just don't walk around in the later pms yapping on a celly etc.... Being white will not put you in any more danger that it will anyone else. THere are some very good and very AUTHENTIC south american restaurants on jerome avenue and trust me, they will be VERY HAPPY to serve you there......

I tip my hat to people like n7tive newyorker, who will move to an area on their own and not move only when it becomes "popular" or the "in place" like crappy williamsburg and bushwick.......

Old 03-13-2008, 04:43 PM

Great advice. That's what has kept me a happy and safe NYC guy for the past 15 years or so! And yes I don't want to move into a place that is all yuppie coffee bars, and overpriced trends. I had a friend move to this area out of necessity (she works in the courts), that's what brought me to the area in the first place. I will look into the restaurants. Any suggestions?

Old 03-13-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8tive new yorker View Post
Thanks for the reply,
Are there streets or areas in that vicinity that are particularly bad. Any places that are crime/drug central?

Here is a better link to the subway proposal I was talking about:
TriboroRX - TriboroRX
Im not from the southern portion of the Bronx..but the sideblocks are usually street numbers. As a rough sketch, 138th-196th and the Concourse are really bad. Some streets are quieter than others and some like 167th, Tremont, 183rd, 194th are heavier drug blocks. But roughly anything between there are bad hoods.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:48 PM

842 posts, read 4,310,050 times
Check out Bedford Park.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:31 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,949,028 times
I just got back from parent-teacher conferences at the school I work at that's located around 170th and GC. I'm a skinny, white 23 year old and I walked to the 4 at 7:30 and no one bothered me. It was pretty busy around Walton Ave. I just walk fast and act like I know where i'm going and no one bothers me. I've been working in the area since September and nothing bad has happened when I walk to and from in the morning and afternoon. I guess it's mostly because most people in the area can assume I'm a teacher, and they seem to respect the teachers in the area. The locals tend to recognize us after a while. You should be ok though.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:42 PM

473 posts, read 1,671,022 times
Don't listen to super mario as doesn't know the area that well. Notice how he talks about the "side streets" but couldn't name anything in particular?what blocks have drugs? I just got back from the area and I'm there quite often. I also lived there for a very long time so I know what i'm taking about from FIRST HAND experience.
Walton and Elliot is known for drugs. Walton from 169 to 170 has issues but even then, it's not 24/7. I think the dealers/thugs take naps/breaks/vacations or something lol. You can walk on the concourse during the day up to 9-10 pm without any issues. TRUST me don't believe the fear mongering because it's just that ...... fear mongering. If you do decide to check out the restaurants etc, just walk teh concourse and walk down E clark to jerome. I wouldn't walk on walton if I were you especially north of 161. Oh speaking of restaurants, there was a chinese place by walton &170 that was busted for using non beef/chicken and this was back in 99. I'm not sure if there is a replacement but just an FYI.

Right at the intersection of gerard and jerome (not too far from the pct), is the BEST PHILLY STEAK in the bx. It is right there on jerome just before E clark. If you walk from Jerome & E-clark going towards the pct, it is on your left, right after a bodega and a small bar. Go in and grab one sometime and trust me, you'll have zero regrets. If the older guy (owner) is around, you've hit the jackpot. Make sure he makes it but I have to warn you, you might bite your tongue for it tastes so good.

There is an african restaurant on Edward Grant & 167 with quite a menu. You will be very well received and made to feel at home TRUST ME. There is a jamaican/african eatery right on walton&167 so you can try that as well. On jerome and marcy pl is a dominican joint with red carpet in front. Everytime I pass by or go in, i can't help but laugh . It's a sort of "classy" in the "hood" experience. My sure shot picks for you will be the joint on jerome&marcy and the one on 167 & grant. Good luck

Old 03-14-2008, 12:07 AM

Nice..bx718.....seems like you know the area. Naa, im not gonna lie from the 160's and below I know little side streets. But I can name a few up here......Tremont, Burnside, Fordham, Kingsbridge, Bedford pk, Moshulo, in addition to 181st, 182nd, 183rd, 184th..... 194th, 196th...Those streets im certain of.

And if you want parallel....University, Aqueduct, Grand, Davidson, Jerome, Walton, Morris, Creston to the west

Valentine, Thebout, Decatur, Bainbridge, Webster, Park etc to the east

I know my streets!....more west though

But you're kidding yourself if you think there is no threat of crime on the concourse or the side streets below 196th.....

Last edited by DoubleXAs; 03-14-2008 at 12:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City