Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 06:16 AM

652 posts, read 876,930 times

Advertisements

I always wondered if the kid who climbed out of the hole without ropes was symbolic as the real Batman. Someone who grew up in hell without privilege. Many people missed three of the characters from "Inception" were cast in Batman. Mol played the killing nemesis (Miranda Tate) in this one as well. I have heard they were supposed to include Natasha Romanov, a couple of different Batgirls and The Riddler in a suit in disguise as a super genius who never reveals his true identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:08 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,022,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
I always wondered if the kid who climbed out of the hole without ropes was symbolic as the real Batman. Someone who grew up in hell without privilege. Many people missed three of the characters from "Inception" were cast in Batman. Mol played the killing nemesis (Miranda Tate) in this one as well. I have heard they were supposed to include Natasha Romanov, a couple of different Batgirls and The Riddler in a suit in disguise as a super genius who never reveals his true identity.
First, I dont think anyone missed that.

Second, you just spoiled the movie for anyone that reads this thread and hasnt seen it. Well done.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:36 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,331,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I've never understood the affection for the Riddler. He's always struck me as the most juvenile of all the Batman villains. When you play it for laughs (Frank Gorshin, Jim Carrey) it can work. But for these more serious stories? It wouldn't work. He's just too goofy.
I am not crazy about the Riddler too. My favorites have alway been the Joker, Poision Ivy, Scarecrow and Harley Quinn.

I think Posion Ivy would have been interesting, but give her a treatment like they did to Scarecrow in the first one. Not make her a crazy plant lady, but a terrorist with the League of Shadows or something that uses plant checmicals or toxins in general, that would kill thousands of Gotham City residents. I don't know, I think I am just gonna be quiet now. I just would have liked to see how Nolan would have done Poision Ivy, lots of potential there IMO.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:37 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,964,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
First, I dont think anyone missed that.

Second, you just spoiled the movie for anyone that reads this thread and hasnt seen it. Well done.
To be fair, I'm pretty sure nearly everyone's seen it and several people have already pulled out spoilers in other places....

I think everyone knows that Nolan tends to get the same actors. Lots of directors do that... even Seth McFarlaine had "Lois", "Meg", and "Joe" in Ted.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
To be fair, I'm pretty sure nearly everyone's seen it and several people have already pulled out spoilers in other places....

I think everyone knows that Nolan tends to get the same actors. Lots of directors do that... even Seth McFarlaine had "Lois", "Meg", and "Joe" in Ted.
Also, if you are going to open up a thread about the Dark Knight Rises the week after it has been released, you should expect there to be spoilers in this thread then.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I thought it was good, but not great. Living up to the Dark Knight was a major challenge (thanks to Heath Ledger). Although I liked Bane's character, I never really thought of him as being strong enough to carry a major movie such as this one. Suffice to say, I think Riddler and Penguin would have been better choices for the audience to psycho-analyze, much like the Joker. Overall I was impressed with the structure of the storyline, but as someone else mentioned, it came off as a bit lengthier than it should have been.
Yeah, I think the editing in this movie was bad which was my biggest gripe. A perfect example is the character Foley. When Com. Gordon shows up to his house as he has been hiding and gives him a speech. What a pointless scene! It did nothing to the plot and really just made me roll my eyes. The plot was good, but bloated and characters like Foley should have never made it in as they really did nothing to the plot other than make it bloated.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 AM

32,186 posts, read 34,882,843 times
Too many plot holes (and lack of character development) and corny scenes in this movie to be taken seriously. Too long and devoid of action to be considered a "fun" movie on par with the first two Spidey movies (or Ironman).

Corny moments, plotholes/and or lack of character development that stop me from taking the movie seriously:

1. Batman's relationship with Marion Cottilard comes out of nowhere. One second he doesn't want to see her, the next he's in love with her and hands over his company to her.

2. Batman escapes from a prison in the middle of nowhere and inexplicably gets back to Gotham. He's somehow able to get into Gotham even though top-secret CIA agents can't.

3. A doctor is able to snap a couple of vertebrae back in place, and after doing a few pushups, he's ready to take on Bane.

4. Why is Padgett working for Bane?

5. They send ALL of the police force into the sewers to look for Bane. VERY realistic.

6. Why do they have a television in the prison?

7. The prisoners' chant was beyond ridiculous. That was about as cheesy as Marion Cotillard's final scene in the movie.

8. How did Batman survive the blast of an atomic bomb?

9. How did Bane know Batman's true identity?

10. Marion Cotillard's death at the end of the movie looked like something out of Hot Shots Part Deux.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Too many plot holes (and lack of character development) and corny scenes in this movie to be taken seriously. Too long and devoid of action to be considered a "fun" movie on par with the first two Spidey movies (or Ironman).

Corny moments, plotholes/and or lack of character development that stop me from taking the movie seriously:

1. Batman's relationship with Marion Cottilard comes out of nowhere. One second he doesn't want to see her, the next he's in love with her and hands over his company to her.

2. Batman escapes from a prison in the middle of nowhere and inexplicably gets back to Gotham. He's somehow able to get into Gotham even though top-secret CIA agents can't.

3. A doctor is able to snap a couple of vertebrae back in place, and after doing a few pushups, he's ready to take on Bane.

4. Why is Padgett working for Bane?

5. They send ALL of the police force into the sewers to look for Bane. VERY realistic.

6. Why do they have a television in the prison?

7. The prisoners' chant was beyond ridiculous. That was about as cheesy as Marion Cotillard's final scene in the movie.

8. How did Batman survive the blast of an atomic bomb?

9. How did Bane know Batman's true identity?

10. Marion Cotillard's death at the end of the movie looked like something out of Hot Shots Part Deux.
I agree with most of what you said but not all. Especially #9. In the comics Bane always knew Batman's identity and really it's not too hard to figure out, especially when Batman has disappeared the same time Bruce Wayne disappears for 8 years.

Some other gripes.

11. It takes about a little less than an hour for us to finally see Batman and we only see him for what like 10 minutes then no more about batman for another hour until we get to the climax at the end of the movie. This movie is almost 3 hours long yet, we only see about 30 minutes of Batman in action.

12. The Braveheart scene. When the cops and Bane's minions form their two lines and battle it out. Uhm ok.

13. That Bruce is crippled and a recluse for 8 YEARS yet in matter of one or two weeks he suits up and is back in shape to fight Bane in the sewers.

14. I dislike the whole Batman and Bruce has been gone for 8 years. I think it took a big chunk away from the movie, made it overly dramatic, and wasn't necessary to the overall plot if you think about it. I mean it basically goes Batman is broken, comes back, gets broken by Bane, then comes back again. I think the simple formula of Batman is okay, gets broken by Bane and then comes back (rises) would have been fine.

I still liked the movie and will watch it when on DVD again. However, this movie had a lot of flaws and had so much more potential.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 AM

Also as much as I loved Selina Kyle/Catwoman, I just could not get over her costume, I just couldn't. I hated it. It just seemed wrong.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:46 AM

32,186 posts, read 34,882,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Also as much as I loved Selina Kyle/Catwoman, I just could not get over her costume, I just couldn't. I hated it. It just seemed wrong.
Anne Hathaway was the best thing about the movie, imo. Yeah, her costume was corny, but she had the most personality of all the characters. We actually see a gradual change in her character during the course of the movie.

Otherwise, the plot was just too complicated. There were too many themes/storylines going on in the movie to flesh any of them out adequately. Nolan is not a particularly good storyteller anyway. And the fight scenes were "okay."

I'd give this movie a big fat "Average."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies