Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It is a contradiction to me because I felt the movie was adequate length and couldnt really think anything could be cut. So, the only way to add more development would be to lengthen the film which would make it even longer making your statement complaining about time a contradition.
Do you write a lot? Sometimes the best way to create a tight, clean piece of work is not to simply snip paragraphs here and there from an essay. Sometimes it's best to hit "reset" and re-think the fundamental structure and design of the essay. In movies, the script drives everything, and I believe the movie could have been better with a fundamentally different script. This is my opinion and you are free to have yours.

Quote:
Are you really complaining about DKR being too long and underdeveloped and then use the Godfather as an example of a movie that is well developed and good? The Godfather is the longest, most boring, most overrated piece of **** ever created except for maybe Raging Bull. It took me 4 sittings to make it through that borefest.
Welllllllllll, that's about all I need to read here folks. Anyone who places the Dark Knight Rises over the Godfather clearly has different tastes than me. To see the tragic corruption of Michael Corleogne (and that's really what the Godfather is...a tragedy) is one of the most memorable things to ever be displayed on the Big Screen. The Godfather will be quoted for all eternity. The Dark Knight Rises would be lucky to have people quoting it through Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
You're never going to have a fully developed storyline in these types of movies. There will always be holes. This isnt suppose to be a thought provoking film. However, it does involve more themes and intellect than your average action movie but at the end of the day, it is still an action/superhero movie and they are always somewhat cheezy and underdeveloped. But, Nolan has beat every other movie in this genre with this trilogy and I dont think it will ever be topped.
I don't expect everything from every movie. When I go to see Spiderman, I don't leave the movie pissed when it didn't turn out to be as complex as a Joseph Conrad short story. I'm well aware that there are limitations in any genre and limitations as to what can be adequately conveyed on the Big Screen. However, I felt that the DKR did not explain certain things nearly as well as it could have and I felt the script was somewhat garbled and incoherent. Even if I'm watching Mean Girls, Madagascar or the Chipmunks, I expect a script that is relatively straightforward and coherent. I'm going to have the same expectation of the DKR, and imo, it just wasn't a good script (which seems par for the course these days anyhow).

Old 07-20-2012, 11:58 AM

22,925 posts, read 28,302,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
To be fair, the other Godfather movies have scenes that could be considered "too long." For example, when Tom tells Michael that Kaye had a "miscarriage," it first shows the outside of the hotel, then the guards outside, then it shows Tom walking in, then Mike pouring a drink, sitting down on the couch, getting a towel, relaxing, etc. Three or four minutes go by before Tom and Mike even talk to each other. But for some reason, the "slowness" of those movies just feels right. Especially the part where they plot to assassinate Hyman Roth.
That's the fine art of storytelling. Sure boiled potatoes will fill you up. But they don't taste very good --- unless you spice them up. All those elements like dialogue, camera angles, lighting, etc., etc., etc. are all the flavor. It's a very hard job to know what is too much and what is not enough.

Taste is subjective. Everyone has a right to their opinion. But someone who says any Batman movie is better than the Godfather ... it's like being told a Hot Pocket is a better meal than a fine steak.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:58 AM

24,429 posts, read 23,092,690 times
I have this vision of The Simpsons Comic Book Guy, maybe thousands of them, blogging online saying " Best BatMan movie, EVER." Bane is the villain? Bane is lame. Catwoman makes an excellent adversary but the choice of actresses this time around was curious at best. Maybe The Penguin could have been picked. "BatMan Returns" was so bad they could have taken another chance at redeeming the character.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:04 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,005,522 times
Quote:
Do you write a lot? Sometimes the best way to create a tight, clean piece of work is not to simply snip paragraphs here and there from an essay. Sometimes it's best to hit "reset" and re-think the fundamental structure and design of the essay. In movies, the script drives everything, and I believe the movie could have been better with a fundamentally different script. This is my opinion and you are free to have yours.
Yes, I do. I've never written a play or script but essays, short stories, and even have a book I've been working on.

The script can always be better but to call this movie bad or horrible is just doesnt make sense. Not an optimal movie? Sure but the amount of talent, genuis, and just overall work that took to put DKR is beyond anything anyone on this forum could do.

Quote:
Welllllllllll, that's about all I need to read here folks. Anyone who places the Dark Knight Rises over the Godfather clearly has different tastes than me. To see the tragic corruption of Michael Corleogne (and that's really what the Godfather is...a tragedy) is one of the most memorable things to ever be displayed on the Big Screen. The Godfather will be quoted for all eternity. The Dark Knight Rises would be lucky to have people quoting it through Sunday.
It's just plain boring. It isnt exciting, it doesnt make you care about anyone or anything that happens, it has long gaps where there is just nothing.

I know lots of people who think the Godfather is overrated. That along with Raging Bull are probably the top two movies I hear people call overrated.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That's the fine art of storytelling. Sure boiled potatoes will fill you up. But they don't taste very good --- unless you spice them up. All those elements like dialogue, camera angles, lighting, etc., etc., etc. are all the flavor. It's a very hard job to know what is too much and what is not enough.

Taste is subjective. Everyone has a right to their opinion. But someone who says any Batman movie is better than the Godfather ... it's like being told a Hot Pocket is a better meal than a fine steak.
Lots of people would say that. As I said above, lots of people view the Godfather as the most overrated film in history. I can easily get completely wrapped up in a movie, even a bad one. Ask my ex-wife about all the conversations she thought we had while I was watching one. If a movie cant hold my attention for more than 30 minutes, it isnt very good and the Godfather is the perfect example of that. The only reason I ever finished it was because of how revered it was.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I have this vision of The Simpsons Comic Book Guy, maybe thousands of them, blogging online saying " Best BatMan movie, EVER." Bane is the villain? Bane is lame. Catwoman makes an excellent adversary but the choice of actresses this time around was curious at best. Maybe The Penguin could have been picked. "BatMan Returns" was so bad they could have taken another chance at redeeming the character.
Have you seen it yet? I questioned Hathaway as well but she was the highlight of the movie IMO. Compared to the Joker, Bane was lame but he was perfect for this storyline and gave Batman as worthy opponent because unlike the Joker he had the physical tools to beat him.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
You're so right! It's all of the leeeeeetle things that add up to make certain scenes so great. Take for example the scene where Tom convinces Frank Pantageli to commit suicide. It's so freakin' classic. I love when Frank says, "The Corleone family...we was like the Roman Empire, Tom. We was like the Roman Empire." Then Tom (Robert Duvall) responds with this wry look on his face: "It was...once." Just the way Duvall carried himself in that scene and the way he persuades Frank to kill himself, through reason and appeals to emotion, is just spectacular. When he looks away for a moment, then begins to walk away with his cigar in hand, then quickly turns back to Frank and says: "You're a student of history, politics...so you know that when a plot against the Emperor failed, the pradas' families always kept their land. It was a good deal." By that point, he had convinced Frank to do the deed, and as he walks away he says "Adieu, Frankie" instead of Goodbye, giving final confirmation to the viewer that Frank will never be seen again. That's great writing (and acting)!

Quote:
Yeah, that's just ridiculous. But to each his own, right?

Old 07-20-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
The script can always be better but to call this movie bad or horrible is just doesnt make sense. Not an optimal movie? Sure but the amount of talent, genuis, and just overall work that took to put DKR is beyond anything anyone on this forum could do.
What genius went into the Dark Knight Rises? It certainly wasn't the writing. It certainly wasn't the acting. I'll give the film and graphic crews their due props, but that's about it. Besides, it's not about what people in a C-D thread could produce. We compare movies and moviemakers to other movies and moviemakers. That's the standard.

Hans Landa (played by Christophe Waltz) in Inglorious Basterds was a far better character than anything ever conceived in one of Nolan's scripts. As much as people criticize Tarantino, the man has a talent for creating memorable dialogue.

Do they speak English in "what?" Say "what" again muthaf*cka! I dare you! I double dare you!!

Quote:
It's just plain boring. It isnt exciting, it doesnt make you care about anyone or anything that happens, it has long gaps where there is just nothing.
I suppose this would be the case if you find the G.I. Joe and Transformer type movies to be absolutely riveting.

Quote:
I know lots of people who think the Godfather is overrated.
And I can find lots of people who follow it religiously and can recite every single line. Try finding people who can recite more than five lines from any of these last three Batman movies.

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I'll make him an offer he won't refuse.

Don't ever take sides with anyone against the family again.

I'm smart, I can handle things!

Every time I try to get out, they keep pullin' me back in!

The Don can never refuse a request on the day of his daughter's wedding.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:33 PM

22,925 posts, read 28,302,797 times
Quote:
Lots of people would say that.
Lots of people go to Justin Bieber concerts. Lots of people are often wrong.

Quote:
As I said above, lots of people view the Godfather as the most overrated film in history.
That's certainly a topic worthy of debate. Personally, I wouldn't rate The Godfather as #1. But it's definitely Top 10. Probably Top 5. Maybe even Top 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies