Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:21 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,264,903 times

Advertisements

Just rented this. dont let the critics fool you. THIS MOVIE SUCKS! the last Batman movie, Batman Begins, was a much better movie. i dont know where critics are getting the idea that this film is somehow a cut above the usual comic book based garbage, but i can assure you it is not.

aside from the Joker, everything and everyone else in the movie is horrible. the plot can be best described as a bunch of s*** that happens. the action sequenses are filmed zoomed in so close that you cant even see what is happening - camera zooms in to Batmans chest, you hear some punches and whatnot, then you see a bad guy fall down - (inept directing).

all of the female roles in this film serve but one purpose, be some bimbos hanging off of Bruce Waynes arms or the female lead (who has not aged well since the last movie, btw), and that one purpose is to let the audience know that the male leads aren't gay.

which they are...

then you've got this Commissioner Gordon, who looks like a live action version of Ned Flanders, faking his own death including a funeral and having his wife and son think he was killed, for some reason. so that he could be one of 30 SWAT guys and take off his SWAT ski mask in dramatic fashion, i guess. i dunno. it was certainly a nice believable touch, though.

last thing is that the film just seemed campier than the last one. everything felt kinda cheezy. particularly Batman's costume and mask seemed like a poorly fitting cheap rubber version.

Heath Ledger did a really good job as the Joker. too bad the entire movie outside of him was a total piece of s***.

Last edited by Linson; 12-11-2008 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 06:55 PM

952 posts, read 943,477 times
sooo.....you didn't like it?

Old 12-12-2008, 03:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,045,254 times
Here's what CD-ers thought last summer (first few pages are December '07, well before TDK was released):
The Dark Knight

Old 12-12-2008, 08:43 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,006,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
Just rented this. dont let the critics fool you. THIS MOVIE SUCKS! the last Batman movie, Batman Begins, was a much better movie. i dont know where critics are getting the idea that this film is somehow a cut above the usual comic book based garbage, but i can assure you it is not.

aside from the Joker, everything and everyone else in the movie is horrible. the plot can be best described as a bunch of s*** that happens. the action sequenses are filmed zoomed in so close that you cant even see what is happening - camera zooms in to Batmans chest, you hear some punches and whatnot, then you see a bad guy fall down - (inept directing).
That's Christopher Nolan's style. I thought the fight scenes were great. they were meant to be that style, it was not inept directing.

Quote:
all of the female roles in this film serve but one purpose, be some bimbos hanging off of Bruce Waynes arms or the female lead (who has not aged well since the last movie, btw), and that one purpose is to let the audience know that the male leads aren't gay.
There are several problems with the above comment. First off, that female lead you are referring to isnt the same actress. Katie Holmes played Rachel Dawes is the first one and Maggie Gyllenhall played her this time around.

Second, the reason Bruce Wayne has "bimbos" hanging off him is because he is trying to portray himself as a rich, player. Bruce Wayne is his alter ego, not Batman. When he is Bruce Wayne, he is playing a role and basically doing what people would expect him to do. Your statement shows that you dont really understand the movie.

Quote:
then you've got this Commissioner Gordon, who looks like a live action version of Ned Flanders, faking his own death including a funeral and having his wife and son think he was killed, for some reason. so that he could be one of 30 SWAT guys and take off his SWAT ski mask in dramatic fashion, i guess. i dunno. it was certainly a nice believable touch, though.
Ummm, did you not follow the fact that he faked his death in order to not be a target of the Joker. It seemed pretty obvious that was the intention.

Quote:
last thing is that the film just seemed campier than the last one. everything felt kinda cheezy. particularly Batman's costume and mask seemed like a poorly fitting cheap rubber version.
After the cheezy Batman movies we have had and you want to call this one cheezy. it was anything but.

Quote:
Heath Ledger did a really good job as the Joker.

That statement we can actually agree on.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Here's what CD-ers thought last summer (first few pages are December '07, well before TDK was released):
The Dark Knight
Quote:
The movie made $155.34M over the weekend. I have not read/heard one bad review. The numbers speak for itself.
that is an exerpt from one of the posts made last summer, and it illustrates my point perfectly. people dont know good from bad anymore. they think that if a movie makes alot of money, then that makes it a good film. people have this herd mentality about films, that they have to line up like a bunch of lemmings and go see what everyone else is talking about.

i dont have a problem with comic books, but i didnt grow up with comic books or superheros being a big part of my life. so that means that with me, these movies have to stand on their own merits as films - and the movies get no benefit from the source material.

this movie did not live up to it's hype. the hype led me to believe that this was a quality movie. it wasnt. the Joker was great. but that wasn't enough to rescue the movie because everything else was horrible. unfortunately, it seemed that Heath Ledger was the only one who took the film and his role seriously.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:51 AM

I didnt read comic books either. In fact, I usually hate comic book movies. I dont particularly like the genre.

I also usually dont like movies that the masses enjoy. I like original, indie movies. But, this movie was a great movie. Not because everyone liked it, not because it made a lot of money, but because it was very well done.

I really dont think you understood the movie fully. All the actors did a great job in their roles. They portrayed the characters the way they were intended.

I have no problems with someone not liking this movie. However, the reasons you point out are flawed and show that you didnt understand the reason why some things were the way they were.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:08 AM

[quote=RjRobb2;6529544]
Quote:
That's Christopher Nolan's style. I thought the fight scenes were great. they were meant to be that style, it was not inept directing.
how can you say the fight scenes were great when you cannot see what is going on in the fight? if that is the director's style, he is either lazy or inept. your choice.

Quote:
There are several problems with the above comment. First off, that female lead you are referring to isnt the same actress. Katie Holmes played Rachel Dawes is the first one and Maggie Gyllenhall played her this time around.
okay, well ya got me there. i just thought that she had aged poorly. i didnt read the credits, and i wouldnt know one from the other in a lineup.

Quote:
Second, the reason Bruce Wayne has "bimbos" hanging off him is because he is trying to portray himself as a rich, player. Bruce Wayne is his alter ego, not Batman. When he is Bruce Wayne, he is playing a role and basically doing what people would expect him to do. Your statement shows that you dont really understand the movie.
really, since when? since when does Bruce Wayne act this way - since Batman Begins? and since when do billionares act this way? Bruce Wayne acts this way, and Maggie Gyllenhall's character exists... to impart to the audience that Batman is into chicks.

and i understand the movie perfectly well. it is marketed to 10 year old boys - and to 10 year old boys, Batman lives what adulthood should be: running around in costumes punching men in the face.

Quote:
Ummm, did you not follow the fact that he faked his death in order to not be a target of the Joker. It seemed pretty obvious that was the intention.
yeah and letting his wife and young son, along with the audience, think he was dead was a nice touch.

Quote:
After the cheezy Batman movies we have had and you want to call this one cheezy. it was anything but.
compared to the first several Batman films, no it wasnt cheezy at all. but compared to Batman Begins, yes it was. Batman Begins deserves the praise as a movie that holds up on it's own that The Dark Knight got.

Quote:
That statement we can actually agree on.
yes, Heath Ledger as the Joker was outstanding, but unfortunately, it seemed as if he was the only one who took his role seriously.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
how can you say the fight scenes were great when you cannot see what is going on in the fight? if that is the director's style, he is either lazy or inept. your choice.
I figure them out just fine. It's Christopher Nolan, he is neither lazy or inept.

Quote:
really, since when? since when does Bruce Wayne act this way - since Batman Begins? and since when do billionares act this way? Bruce Wayne acts this way, and Maggie Gyllenhall's character exists... to impart to the audience that Batman is into chicks. .
This whole concept of him putting on a show by being Bruce Wayne has been one of the main themes of both this movie and Begins. In fact, it may even be the main theme. He even has a discussion with Rachel Dawes in Begins telling her that this isnt him.

Quote:
and i understand the movie perfectly well. it is marketed to 10 year old boys - and to 10 year old boys, Batman lives what adulthood should be: running around in costumes punching men in the face. .
This movie was not marketed to 10 year old boys. The target audience is males 18-35 because that demographic grew up with Batman and have been the main audience of prior comic book movies.

Quote:
yeah and letting his wife and young son, along with the audience, think he was dead was a nice touch. .
So, he either doesnt fake his death and likely gets killed by the Joker or one of his hynchmen so that he is actually dead and he never sees his family again or he can fake his death for a few hours and actually not die. What choice do you make?

Old 12-12-2008, 10:57 AM

[quote=RjRobb2;6530992]
Quote:
I figure them out just fine. It's Christopher Nolan, he is neither lazy or inept.
well how do you do that with the camera zoomed in on Batman's chest. you dont seem to deny that the action is unledgeable, just that you are somehow able to decifer it even though there is nothing to decifer - becuase you know that directors "style." why cant you just admit that this movie has flaws? poor choriography being one of them.

Quote:
This whole concept of him putting on a show by being Bruce Wayne has been one of the main themes of both this movie and Begins. In fact, it may even be the main theme. He even has a discussion with Rachel Dawes in Begins telling her that this isnt him.
that's what i said. this is a new development since the last movie. he didnt act like that in any of the previous films. billionares dont act like that ever, and neither does somebody who is trying to keep a low profile. Bruce Wayne acts this way to let you understand that he doesnt "prefer the company of men."

Quote:
This movie was not marketed to 10 year old boys. The target audience is males 18-35 because that demographic grew up with Batman and have been the main audience of prior comic book movies.
no, the target audience is every 12 year old in the country along with their parents, and little brothers and sisters. most 18-35 year old men have their minds on things other than Batman.

Quote:
So, he either doesnt fake his death and likely gets killed by the Joker or one of his hynchmen so that he is actually dead and he never sees his family again or he can fake his death for a few hours and actually not die. What choice do you make?
yeah, and his wife and son had to beleive that he had been killed, right? just like the Joker had to get himself captured and beaten in order to tell the cops where Harvey Dent and Maggie Gyllenhall were being held. right?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:18 PM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
I loved TDK. Loved it.

But I'll be the first to admit that Nolan can't direct fight scenes. Couldn't do it in the first Batflick, and couldn't do it in this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies