Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:03 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,331,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Anne Hathaway was the best thing about the movie, imo. Yeah, her costume was corny, but she had the most personality of all the characters. We actually see a gradual change in her character during the course of the movie.

Otherwise, the plot was just too complicated. There were too many themes/storylines going on in the movie to flesh any of them out adequately. Nolan is not a particularly good storyteller anyway. And the fight scenes were "okay."

I'd give this movie a big fat "Average."
Yeah I agree, Selina Kyle was really the only interesting character. Bane was kind of as well. BUt I looked forward to everytime we would Selina come back on screen. She was likable, sassy, not quite a hero, not quite a villain, and she was just entertaining to watch.

I give it an slight "Above Average". There were too many themes, too many monolugues. It really didn't feel like Batman movie to be honest. The first two did. This felt more like a drama than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,022,236 times
Quote:
Too many plot holes (and lack of character development) and corny scenes in this movie to be taken seriously. Too long and devoid of action to be considered a "fun" movie on par with the first two Spidey movies (or Ironman).

Corny moments, plotholes/and or lack of character development that stop me from taking the movie seriously:

1. Batman's relationship with Marion Cottilard comes out of nowhere. One second he doesn't want to see her, the next he's in love with her and hands over his company to her.
This could have been developed more but I think it was pretty apparent that he trusted her because Fox did.

Quote:
2. Batman escapes from a prison in the middle of nowhere and inexplicably gets back to Gotham. He's somehow able to get into Gotham even though top-secret CIA agents can't.
Not really a stretch considering he is Bruce Wayne with resources and probably knows Gotham inside and out due to this adventures as Batman.

Quote:
3. A doctor is able to snap a couple of vertebrae back in place, and after doing a few pushups, he's ready to take on Bane.
You do realize that was a 3 month period, right? If you had 3 months to do nothing but workout, you would be in pretty good shape.

Quote:
4. Why is Padgett working for Bane?
It was apparent that Bane promised him power and Padgett wasnt made aware of the real plan.

Quote:
5. They send ALL of the police force into the sewers to look for Bane. VERY realistic.
Not very likely but neither is a man wearing a bat suit or some super thug with a pain killing mask. You do remember what you were watching, right?

Quote:
6. Why do they have a television in the prison?
If you watched the movie you would know it was put there so Wayne could watch what was happening.

Quote:
7. The prisoners' chant was beyond ridiculous. That was about as cheesy as Marion Cotillard's final scene in the movie.
You're complaining about a chant? Seriously?

Quote:
8. How did Batman survive the blast of an atomic bomb?
He didnt, he's dead.

Quote:
9. How did Bane know Batman's true identity?
Really? Did you even watch the movie?

[quote=BajanYankee;25297656]10. Marion Cotillard's death at the end of the movie looked like something out of Hot Shots Part Deux.[
/QUOTE]

I'll agree with you there.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 AM

Uhm he's not dead.....this is in regards to the atomic bomb. How could you miss that he is still alive? In regards to Bruce Wayne getting back to Gotham from the prison, ugh Bruce Wayne lost all his resources. Didn't you watch the movie? Everything was taken away from him, he went broke.

One last quip and this is a SPOILER. So Bruce Wayne is believed to be dead and was a famous billionaire. So are we supposed to believe that this is going to last with his new life in Europe with Selina Kyle and no one is going to notice it's Bruce Wayne? Especially being in a city is like Florence.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Uhm he's not dead.....this is in regards to the atomic bomb. How could you miss that he is still alive?
Because he's not. I am sure you are referring to Alfred's little vision at the end. He couldnt have survived the bomb and even if he did, what are the chances Alfred sees him alive and well in that place at that time? It was a vision of Alfreds from the reference earlier in the movie, I dont believe he is actually suppose to be alive. Why would Alfred be weaping at his funeral if he were not actually dead?

Quote:
In regards to Bruce Wayne getting back to Gotham from the prison, ugh Bruce Wayne lost all his resources. Didn't you watch the movie? Everything was taken away from him, he went broke.
You really think someone of that stature is just going to lose all resources like that? You think someone with his connections and power isnt owed a favor or have someone that can provide him with a plane? Seriously? A billionaire just doesnt lose resources with a snap of a finger. Hell, the government probably would have helped him get there. When your someone like Bruce Wayne, catching a flight from anywhere isnt going to be much trouble whether you are broke or not.

Quote:
One last quip and this is a SPOILER. So Bruce Wayne is believed to be dead and was a famous billionaire. So are we supposed to believe that this is going to last with his new life in Europe with Selina Kyle and no one is going to notice it's Bruce Wayne? Especially being in a city is like Florence.
He isnt believed to be dead, he is dead.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Because he's not. I am sure you are referring to Alfred's little vision at the end. He couldnt have survived the bomb and even if he did, what are the chances Alfred sees him alive and well in that place at that time? It was a vision of Alfreds from the reference earlier in the movie, I dont believe he is actually suppose to be alive. Why would Alfred be weaping at his funeral if he were not actually dead?

You really think someone of that stature is just going to lose all resources like that? You think someone with his connections and power isnt owed a favor or have someone that can provide him with a plane? Seriously? A billionaire just doesnt lose resources with a snap of a finger. Hell, the government probably would have helped him get there. When your someone like Bruce Wayne, catching a flight from anywhere isnt going to be much trouble whether you are broke or not.

He isnt believed to be dead, he is dead.
Why did Alred see him with Selina Kyle then? Alfred had no knowledge of them ever forming that bond.....I would of said you were right if he saw him with Rachel, but Alfred had no idea that either Selina or Bruce knew each other like that. All he knew was that Selina robbed him.

Also didn't Fox fix the auto-pilot right before or something like that, which should be a hint hint......

Old 07-23-2012, 11:25 AM

32,186 posts, read 34,882,843 times
Quote:
This could have been developed more but I think it was pretty apparent that he trusted her because Fox did.
So he hands his life's work over to a dame he barely knows from a can of spraypaint. Again, ridiculous.

Quote:
Not really a stretch considering he is Bruce Wayne with resources and probably knows Gotham inside and out due to this adventures as Batman.
This is definitely a stretch. Wayne lost all of his money. Did he just walk to the airport and catch a Luthfansa flight back to JFK?

Quote:
You do realize that was a 3 month period, right? If you had 3 months to do nothing but workout, you would be in pretty good shape.
Nobody is going to recover from dislocated vertebrae in 3 months. You just can't snap them back into place and then go right back to MMA training. That's just silly.

Quote:
It was apparent that Bane promised him power and Padgett wasnt made aware of the real plan.
Okay...that's just corny.

Quote:
You're complaining about a chant? Seriously?
Yes. It was super corny. And so were their words of encouragemnt about a child who was the only person with the willpower to ever make it out of there.

Quote:
He didnt, he's dead.
There was no indication that Alfred was hallucinating. Why make such an assumption?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Why did Alred see him with Selina Kyle then? Alfred had no knowledge of them ever forming that bond.....I would of said you were right if he saw him with Rachel, but Alfred had no idea that either Selina or Bruce knew each other like that. All he knew was that Selina robbed him.

Also didn't Fox fix the auto-pilot right before or something like that, which should be a hint hint......
I believe the ending was probably meant to be open to interpretation now that I think about. This is the first I have heard of anyone thinking he was still alive. Everyone else I have talked to thought it was pretty clear cut that he was dead and Alfred was just seeing it due to his wishes for Bruce. Putting Selina Kyle in the scene may have been for the audiences benefit to create an ambigious ending but I still think the true ending was that he died. He couldnt have survived the blast even if he jumped.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I believe the ending was probably meant to be open to interpretation now that I think about. This is the first I have heard of anyone thinking he was still alive. Everyone else I have talked to thought it was pretty clear cut that he was dead and Alfred was just seeing it due to his wishes for Bruce. Putting Selina Kyle in the scene may have been for the audiences benefit to create an ambigious ending but I still think the true ending was that he died. He couldnt have survived the blast even if he jumped.
Please if Nolan wanted to make it truly ambigious, he would of put some random woman instead of Selina Kyle. That would have made it truly ambigous. If Alfred was really halluncinating, I am sure he would of saw Bruce with Rachel, why would he see him with Selina? If that was Nolan's true intent then it's another flaw IMO......

You should look it up on several message boards, A LOT of people if not most think he is still alive. Wasn't the auto pilot fixed or something? Meaning he could of ejected way before the bomb set off. Plus Selina wanted that chip that could erase her past, and Bruce wanted to start anew. Makes sense as to why they would start a new life together. I am pretty sure he faked his death. Even wikipedia (i know it's wikipedia) states that he survives at the end.

"Fox finds out that the autopilot was repaired by Bruce before he left on his crusade against Bane and Talia, realizing that he may not have perished after all."

I don't think it was ambigous. I think people who got emotional and all caught up in the drama-soap opera of the movie were dragged to see it that way.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:40 AM

32,186 posts, read 34,882,843 times
I mean, if recovering from a broken back in 3 months is within the realm of possibility, why isn't a radioactive-proof ejection capsule?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
For all we know just like in the Dark Knight, the Bat could have had an escape jet of some sort just like the Batmobile did with the motorcyle.

Just like you said how this is a comic movie, it's not going to be 100% realistic....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies