Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,004,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

But something I've noticed about all of the Batman films, even going back to Tim Burton: The villains are always the most interesting thing in the movie. Batman himself is kind of bland. Even Nolan hasn't managed to escape this. And I'm not sure why this is, since in the comics, Batman is always just as interesting if not moreso than his enemies.

Honestly, I think it is better than the villians are more interesting. Do you really want Batman with some kind of crazy personality that makes him interesting? He doesnt have super powers or anything, he is just a dude with money and a lot of pain and anger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 03:59 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,918,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Honestly, I think it is better than the villians are more interesting. Do you really want Batman with some kind of crazy personality that makes him interesting? He doesnt have super powers or anything, he is just a dude with money and a lot of pain and anger.
And mad fighting skills...

Old 07-19-2012, 08:36 PM

22,923 posts, read 28,298,223 times
Quote:
Do you really want Batman with some kind of crazy personality that makes him interesting?
Yes, please!

Frank Miller did it. Dennis O'Neill did it. Bruce Timm and Paul Dini did it. I don't understand why the live action filmmakers can't seem to do it.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:44 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,918,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yes, please!

Frank Miller did it. Dennis O'Neill did it. Bruce Timm and Paul Dini did it. I don't understand why the live action filmmakers can't seem to do it.
Frank Miller got some things WRONG about Batman's entire character. (i.e., use of guns)

Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 AM

22,923 posts, read 28,298,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Frank Miller got some things WRONG about Batman's entire character. (i.e., use of guns)
You mean in THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS? Yeah, I agree. That particular aspect was a flub, although the rest of the story was brilliant. THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN was horrid from beginning to end. But Miller's Batman: Year One is probably the greatest comic ever written and is THE definitive Batman.

My continuing complaint with all the live action movies (from Burton on down to Nolan) is that they tend to do a decent job with the Bruce Wayne/Batman origin story, and then they kind of don't know what to do with him. It's like he's just there to punch bad guys.

Even the just average to so-so Batman comics do a much better job developing the character than any of the movies have done.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:47 AM

I am still forming an opinion but before I type out my full opinion I will say that anyone worried about Anne Hathaway as Catwomen should not be, she stole the show IMO. I wish she wouldnt have disappeared for long periods.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:08 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,552,871 times
Review: 'Dark Knight Rises' disappointingly clunky, bombastic - CNN.com

Old 07-20-2012, 09:18 AM

32,117 posts, read 34,761,354 times
Okay...this movie sucked. I would rate it a little bit better than Red Tails. On second thought, I'd rate it about the same as Red Tails because I was at least able to stay awake to watch Red Tails in its entirety. Oh how does this movie suck, let me count the ways:

1. "Cornyness." There were so many parts of this movie that were so terrible that I couldn't contain my laughter. I won't get into the specifics and ruin it for people who still want to see it, but let's just say one of the characters in the movie does the classic "You're too late, you'll never stop it" lines and then dies milliseconds after their last utterance. And the way it happened caused the whole theater to erupt in laughter. There were scenes like this that made you think this was a sequel to Arnold Schwarzeneggger's "Last Action Hero."

2. Terrible storyline development. Too many things are inadequately explained.

3. Boring. This movie is too long and has too many scenes that just lull you to sleep.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:36 AM

It definitely wasnt terrible or even close to it. It was at least as good as Dark Knight, if not better. The theater I was in was completely and utterly silent during the whole thing, I dont recall that ever happening before.

How can you talk about the movie being underdeveloped and then say it was too long. You do realize that is a contridiction, right? I too thought some things were underdeveloped and thought the movie could have easily been 30-45 minutes longer. I couldnt believe nearly 3 hours had passed when it was over. It felt like an hour.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:59 AM

32,117 posts, read 34,761,354 times
Quote:
How can you talk about the movie being underdeveloped and then say it was too long. You do realize that is a contridiction, right?
No, it's not a contradiction. In what world does "long" equal "adequately developed?" That's like saying that an idea or a theme is fully developed in a 1,000 page book simply because it's "long." Animal Farm is probably only 100 pages or so and it makes a very succinct and emphatic point. Then you have other books that are several times longer that are disorganized and disjointed (i.e., Stephen Carter's "The Emperor of Ocean Park").

The Dark Knight Rises falls into the latter category. It's one of those movies that will be greatly beloved by the Captain Obviouses of the world. It was ridiculously predictable. There were too many speeches, too many monologues. It actually reminded me of Red Tails in that respect. The dialogue was unremarkable. There are relationships that are not fully understood. And the movie draggggggggggged.

Of the three movies in this series, the Dark Knight was easily the best. It's not even close actually.

Spoiler

The last scene where the the girl is twisting a 3-inch blade through the Batsuit is nothing short of hilarious. It was so predictable. And then her death at the end was just beyond ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies