Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 02:17 PM

108 posts, read 126,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Snowed here last night down to about 4400 feet. Not much of it but enough to see. The webcam up at Two Medicine Bridge showed a total whiteout. Cleared off this evening and we're predicted at 24 degrees. Won't be surprised if it makes it.
Oh wow! Idon't like anything about snow. Just too much work. I get all I can handle by watching all the Alaska reality shows -lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 03:41 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Family says they woke up to 17 degrees this AM (south of Big Timber).

Holey moley! Are they pulling my leg???

(It's 107 as I type this in the desert)
Sounds about right as it was 22 north of Big Timber this morning with an ice fog.

Ahh...Summer in Montana

Old 09-12-2014, 06:41 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
It was 23 degrees this morning here, a bit north of Three Forks. Snow from a couple days ago is still atop the Bridgers... even on the south and west slopes!

So, no, I think your leg is no longer than before...

Old 09-12-2014, 07:43 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitnmiss View Post
ElkHunter, so what was growing in the garden? Greens and such? I have no idea what ppl up north grow in the Fall. If it's not going to survive, that's going to be a big loss. Hope it's not too much.
I got a good return, but still had some tomatoes and cuc's left. We had beets, cuc's, tomatoes, jalapena, beans, peas, corn, bell peppers, and cantaloupe.

It was funny, I threw a light ($4 WalMart) blanket, just draped over. It had big gaps where it didn't reach the ground. My plant looks good today. Neighbor put a ($80) heavy quilt, tied, completely covered, on her's. Today, her plant looks dead.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:58 PM

Hmm. Walmart must sell magic blankets. I think I better go get one.

I've discovered a use for prostrate knotweed: it makes a good nurse plant for grass when the dirt is so bad that grass refuses to grow. Last summer I babied my grass and it was all dead this spring anyway. So I mowed what came up, which was mostly knotweed. It spreads fast, roots down at every joint, takes well to being mowed, and needs hardly any water, so pretty soon I had a rather nice 'lawn' (which was far better than what I had before, ie. 'mud'). And the few other weeds that tried to rear their ugly heads got choked out. But eventually some timid remnants of last year's lawn showed themselves, and where there's grass it's overwhelmed the knotweed and looks a thousand times better than last year. I'm thinkin' knotweed must sequester nitrogen or something. Anyway, might be useful if you too are blessed with soil so bad that even the weeds run away screaming.

Last edited by Reziac; 09-12-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 09-13-2014, 09:57 PM

71 posts, read 72,690 times
Hmm, we've had lows of 32 degrees the last few nights out here on lake Pend Oreille, Idaho. No signs of frost damage yet in the garden. Need to look for one of those $4 blankets at Walmart just in case.
Got sick from some of the tomatoes though. I ate some fresh cherry tomatoes that had split open on the vine. Don't know if that was it, figured they wouldn't keep long in the fridge so I'd eat 'em up, heh, heh!

We've got some of that knotweed, at least it kinda looks the same. Deer really like it. I like to watch them nuzzle down and grab a piece then stand there and chew it; the long strand slowly inching into her mouth while the deer stands there looking thoughtfully out over the lake.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:40 PM

Yeah, the goats love the knotweed too, at least when they remember to look that far down for something to chew on! I keep telling them to not just eat the parts they like.

Wonder if being split open, those tomatoes had some soil bacteria in 'em... that would do it.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Good morning all, especially Elk and Reziac,
Thought I'd pop by to see what's going on and saw the conversation about snnnnoooow and freezing temps.
I almost feel guilty sitting here in our 74 degree overnight temps expecting a high of 99 today.
I actually do miss the snow/cold sometimes, just not from now until next June's worth of it.
Got to go out and plant pole beans and garlic today so we can have 'em for Christmas dinner.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:30 AM

That is completely unfair. You need some winter to balance your life. We have an upcoming January we're not using...

Old 09-14-2014, 09:49 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Jimj, thanks for checking in. Even though we got hit with that early storm, nothing stuck and it was gone the next afternoon. Winter is not bad when you don't have to shovel anything. I have to have four seasons, not just visit it for a few days to get a fix. Course, u don't shovel, I am able to plow everything with the 4 wheeler. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana