Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 12:30 AM

606 posts, read 1,977,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Thank you Tracy, that is much appreciated, but, you do know I live in Wyoming. haha
I am NOT afraid to drive!! Besides, Wyo is just next door! LOL

Like as not, I'll be driving a Kenworth once I get there anyway. I'm sure I'll be in your neighborhood from time to time!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 07:06 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
I am NOT afraid to drive!! Besides, Wyo is just next door! LOL
Yeah, but it's Wyoming, where the roads are full of starving attack deer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
Like as not, I'll be driving a Kenworth once I get there anyway. I'm sure I'll be in your neighborhood from time to time!!
Since that's way longer than a car, does it mean you get there faster cuz it covers more ground?

Old 08-09-2014, 11:37 PM

Speaking of engines, here's the smallest V-12 in the world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YfTtGCsiD8

Amazing workmanship. And I probably learned more about how they work from this than everything else combined. (Not being a mechanic.) And that's even tho the captions are in Spanish!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:48 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
That's a sweet little engine. Makes you wonder what it would be capable of if put in a small model tractor or truck or car?

Old 08-10-2014, 10:15 AM

Yeah, I had the same thought -- wouldn't I like to have it in a mini truck running around my house like a pet.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Yeah, I had the same thought -- wouldn't I like to have it in a mini truck running around my house like a pet.
Years ago, my Uncle (a machinist) made a D9 Cat that was 2 and a half feet long and weighed about 150 lbs. It had a 1/4 horse engine and was fully remote control. He made it in the basement. When you turned it, the clutch sticks moved. He would fire it up and it would move the couch around. It had a blade on the front that was fully controllable, could tilt it, raise and lower, etc... I used to love it when he would break it out and play with it. It was painted exactly to scale and looked like the real thing.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Years ago, my Uncle (a machinist) made a D9 Cat that was 2 and a half feet long and weighed about 150 lbs. It had a 1/4 horse engine and was fully remote control. He made it in the basement. When you turned it, the clutch sticks moved. He would fire it up and it would move the couch around. It had a blade on the front that was fully controllable, could tilt it, raise and lower, etc... I used to love it when he would break it out and play with it. It was painted exactly to scale and looked like the real thing.
Wow. That's amazing, especially that it had some real power (how much more could it move than the couch?) Whatever happened to it?

Old 08-12-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Wow. That's amazing, especially that it ha d some real power (how much more could it move than the couch?) Whatever happened to it?
You know, I don't know what happened to it. I think my cousin has it. He's also a machinist. I watched him play with it and I was maybe 10 or so. He never took it out. of the house. I always wanted him to take it out in the dirt, but that wasn't going to happen. The top folded over to expose the engine.. Later, I graduated "Machine Tool. Technology'' school and really appreciated w Everythat he had built. Always wanted to do something like that, never did. The one thing that always amazed me was he tracks and the intriquite detail of it. Everything else was kind off self explanitory but he links in the track always intrigued me. Excellent detail.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 AM

Y'all got a lot o' machinist genes in yer family I imagine the tracks would have to be perfect or they'd hang up.

The complexity of design on these older mechanicals is indeed utterly fascinating. I mean, ever look inside an old-style watch? Our ancestors were smarter than we give 'em credit for. If we had to go back and design from scratch with today's knowledge, a lot of the non-electronic stuff might never happen.

My sister graduated the last year that architects had to know drafting with pen and paper. When the power is out in her office, she and her husband are the only ones that can continue to work... and this is all billed-and-paid-by-the-hour work. Everyone else sits around gazing at blank computer screens and wondering where AutoCAD went.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Y'all got a lot o' machinist genes in yer family I imagine the tracks would have to be perfect or they'd hang up.

The complexity of design on these older mechanicals is indeed utterly fascinating. I mean, ever look inside an old-style watch? Our ancestors were smarter than we give 'em credit for. If we had to go back and design from scratch with today's knowledge, a lot of the non-electronic stuff might never happen.

My sister graduated the last year that architects had to know drafting with pen and paper. When the power is out in her office, she and her husband are the only ones that can continue to work... and this is all billed-and-paid-by-the-hour work. Everyone else sits around gazing at blank computer screens and wondering where AutoCAD went.
I went to school for machine tool and the prerequisite was drafting and blue printing. When I graduated I went to work as a production machinist. I soon realized that I didn't like running 25,000 blanks through a broch or cutting splines on 25,000 gears so I quit and went to work designing homes for Midwestern Homes in Rapid City. I would sit down and visit with the customer and then draft a home to their desire. Once that was complete to their design I would blueprint it. Then Midwestern Homes would build it. It was rewarding to see the final home, but it didn't pay worth a crap. $1.19 an hour. So I quit and went to work on construction in Wyoming, the starting pay was $4.25 an hour and we would get 30 hours a week in over time. It was a no brainer. Through the years I dabled in machine tool, making a part here and there when broke down and equipment was available. Even in the Navy, the ship had a machinist and if he wasn't available, on leave, they would have me fill in for him.

After the service, I went to work for a telecommunication company and decided to upgrade my skill set so I put myself through AutoCAD school. There were 6 of us engineers designing harness for robotics. One of the guys, and myself were old school and had experience drafting and blue printing. You could really tell because Greg or I would draw a final once and it was good. The others would have 8-10 "finals" and it would still have flaws. It got to where customers didn't even want to talk to the others. haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana