Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2017, 08:57 PM

28 posts, read 34,561 times

Advertisements

I agree with moving minor league baseball downtown, but are you honestly suggesting demolishing the Church Street East historic district with a Disney lake and carnival rides?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 10:21 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,277,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. S Willoughby View Post
I agree with moving minor league baseball downtown, but are you honestly suggesting demolishing the Church Street East historic district with a Disney lake and carnival rides?
It is a plan I put together along time ago before I was heavy into the history of downtown. However, it would be more than what you are suggesting or trying to downplay. Also, as PC has indicated, the idea could be condensed with the use of garages versus lots and spacing the venues closer to each other.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:57 PM

5,024 posts, read 9,275,550 times
Serdas Brewery is now up and running.Cool Spaces: Good vibes at Mobile's new brewery | AL.com

Old 12-08-2017, 10:45 AM

139 posts, read 216,926 times
Does anyone know whats going on with he Gayfers building downtown? I know that a group out of New Orleans purchased it
a couple of years ago, but no movement by them.

Also, I know this isn't downtown news but does anyone know the plans for Roger Williams. I see demolition has begun, just never saw the proposed plan for the site and didn't see it on MHB website.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:24 AM

28 posts, read 34,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by port25 View Post
Does anyone know whats going on with he Gayfers building downtown? I know that a group out of New Orleans purchased it
a couple of years ago, but no movement by them.

Also, I know this isn't downtown news but does anyone know the plans for Roger Williams. I see demolition has begun, just never saw the proposed plan for the site and didn't see it on MHB website.
Gayfers

Per the latest Real Deal column in the Lagniappe it looks like the Gayfers project is still a go and is in progress. I'm not sure of what phase of progress it's in right now exactly, but it doesn't look halted.

Here is the article: https://lagniappemobile.com/10-new-d...projects-play/

Last time I was downtown, the buildings on Emanuel street beside Gayfers were fenced off, opened up, and looked like an active construction site. Has anyone else seen this?

The Lagniappe article lists 10 residential projects currently happening downtown. What really stood out to me was the project titled "Fort of Colonial Mobile", a $58 Million project with 138 projected units. 138 units is huge. Does anyone have any info on that project?

Roger Williams

According to Fox 10 News, demolition has begun on the Roger Williams projects and they will develop single-family homes, multi-family complexes, and a senior facility on the site. They plan it to be completed by 2020 and it will keep the name Roger Williams.

Here's a link: Roger Williams Homes demolition begins - FOX10 News | WALA

Old 12-18-2017, 04:06 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,901,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. S Willoughby View Post
Gayfers

Per the latest Real Deal column in the Lagniappe it looks like the Gayfers project is still a go and is in progress. I'm not sure of what phase of progress it's in right now exactly, but it doesn't look halted.

Here is the article: https://lagniappemobile.com/10-new-d...projects-play/

Last time I was downtown, the buildings on Emanuel street beside Gayfers were fenced off, opened up, and looked like an active construction site. Has anyone else seen this?

The Lagniappe article lists 10 residential projects currently happening downtown. What really stood out to me was the project titled "Fort of Colonial Mobile", a $58 Million project with 138 projected units. 138 units is huge. Does anyone have any info on that project?

Roger Williams

According to Fox 10 News, demolition has begun on the Roger Williams projects and they will develop single-family homes, multi-family complexes, and a senior facility on the site. They plan it to be completed by 2020 and it will keep the name Roger Williams.

Here's a link: Roger Williams Homes demolition begins - FOX10 News | WALA
No knowledge on Roger Williams, but the two buildings on St Emanuel next to Gayfers are being redeveloped - retail on first floor and residential above. The Gayfers project has probably been waiting until next year to get started due to the revitalized state tax credits.

The project in Fort Conde is by the same developer of all the offices/Ft Conde Inn and it looks to be big. I would expect they would need significant $ to get that ball moving, though.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,626 times
Just curious when or if downtown Mobile will get any new high rise construction, 20+ stories. I've traveled all over the southeast recently and most southern cities have cranes up all over.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:07 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,901,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallg223 View Post
Just curious when or if downtown Mobile will get any new high rise construction, 20+ stories. I've traveled all over the southeast recently and most southern cities have cranes up all over.
We probably won't see another high rise until the bigger downtown blocks are all developed or re-developed. So, on the current pace, maybe 5-10 years?

The first wave of redevelopments are in process (e.g. Merchant's Plaza and Trustmark Tower) while some second wave (new developments) are beginning (e.g. Meridian at the Port and The Brickwell). The third wave will be when the new high-rises will happen if the demand exists.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallg223 View Post
You're not going to see many cranes in medium sized metros like Mobile trust me. Metros that are Birmingham size and larger may have a lot of cranes downtown. There is a wave of infill and redevelopment downtown though.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:29 PM

Default Keep the momentum up Mobile !

2017 has been a great year for the city of Mobile. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...id=91505048769
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area