Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2018, 09:20 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,428,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
This individual couldn't be more wrong
Perhaps, if we were a little more open-minded and made an attempt to view things from others' perspectives, more progress could be made. This has always been a large problem in Mobile, and I see it still exists. Really unfortunate..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
You know when your opinion is dated when the Convention Center is used as a "recent" example of improvements.
I only used that as one example as I consider it to be one of the major accomplishments in the last several decades, certainly not the only one.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:27 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,900,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I only used that as one example as I consider it to be one of the major accomplishments in the last several decades, certainly not the only one.
It goes to show *again* that your judgment is based on your experiences from 30-40 years ago. This is quite easy to see to anyone who is currently living in Mobile.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Perhaps, if we were a little more open-minded and made an attempt to view things from others' perspectives, more progress could be made. This has always been a large problem in Mobile, and I see it still exists. Really unfortunate..
People are open-minded here. That's why I live in Mobile and not the county that overwhelmingly voted for Roy Moore for Senator (Baldwin- Eastern Shore).

You do you, though.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
98 on the ES is worse than Airport considering 98 can handle less cars. Most of the Eastern Shore (except for old Fairhope) is cookie-cutter houses with little to nothing to do. All the jobs and entertainment are in Mobile, and all it takes is a traffic delay in the right place and all those Eastern Shore commuters have a 1.5/2+ hour drive home. It's already obvious this person is blinded by something in their own life, but to say that Mobile isn't booming is just a total crock.
'Booming'. Do you travel very much? Have you been to Austin, Denver, Charlotte, Dallas? We must define 'booming' differently.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:31 AM

427 posts, read 389,672 times
Quote:
No, we are from Mobile and still have family and friends there. Sure, Mobile has added some restaurants downtown, but compared to many downtowns of similar size towns, it still is run-down. I appreciate the things that have been done over the years to improve Mobile, such as the Convention Center, but I'm always amazed when we return that more progress hasn't been made. Some here are not old enough to remember how downtown looked in the 60s. The Mobile County School System is just not good. Why do you think those who can send their kids to UMS-Wright or St. Paul's? Many have moved to Baldwin County over the last few decades, only exacerbating many of Mobile's problems.
When was the last time you went to downtown Mobile or when was the last time your family and friends did? There's a reason that a James Beard nomination chef (Duane Nutter of One Flew South) left his well established restaurant to open one here. They see the potential and progress of what is happening here. Their opinion is based on market research and they aren't going to come here if it isn't worth it. Money is more powerful than an outdated view point.

No one is arguing that the MCPSS is great, but to use that as your one crux that Mobile isn't a good place nor is it rapidly improving is hilarious.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
'Booming'. Do you travel very much? Have you been to Austin, Denver, Charlotte, Dallas? We must define 'booming' differently.
Haha... you really are dense. Mobile started out like 5-25% of the size of those cities 30/40 years ago. What, are you next going to compare growth in Shanghai versus growth in Mobile?

Old 01-05-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Are you really trying to compare Mobile to huge cities like those? Mobile is definitely booming just because it's not Nashville booming doesn't mean it isn't doing well.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:40 AM

I do love the "do you travel much?!" line from people that obviously don't travel enough themselves.

Thank you, lizap, for a good belly laugh today.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I do love the "do you travel much?!" line from people that obviously don't travel enough themselves.

Thank you, lizap, for a good belly laugh today.

I honestly think people haven't been to downtown Mobile within the last year or two and think it's the same ole same ole down there. It's a completely different place than it was 2 years ago (really 1 year ago too).

I love when my friends come home for vacation and I take them through midtown and downtown and watch their jaws drop ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area